This site is in archival mode. A replacement is being developed. In the meantime, please use the PBW2 Forums for community discussions. The replacement software for this site will use a unified account system with PBW2, and any newly created threads will carry over.
Welcome to Spaceempires.net
Login or Register

Search
Modules
· Content
· Downloads
· Forums
· Game Info
· Image Gallery
· Links
· Shipyards
· Topics
· Staff

User Info
· Welcome, Anonymous
Membership:
· New: Astorre
· New Today: 0
· New Yesterday: 0
· Overall: 3155

People Online:
· Visitors: 70
· Members: 0
· Total: 70

Spaceempires.net :: Pictures of planets :: View topic
Forum FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Pictures of planets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> SEIV Modding Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terrell
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:17 am    Post subject: Pictures of planets Reply with quote

I have a new issue and wonder how to fix it.

When I look at ringed planets with atmospheres of Oxygen or Methane the pictures of the worlds don't appear on the map of the system. Instead there's just a white square where the planet should be. These planets also don't have their pictures appear in the lists, such as planets (but their other information does appear).

Now if I look at the part that describes the planet, on the right side of the screen, the planet's picture appears, with the correct picture. What could cause the planet's picture to only appear there, while not appear anyplace else it should appear.

Here's a pic in case my description isn't very good.

It's probably something painfully obvious, but right now I'm not seeing it, perhaps another set of eyes can catch what I'm overlooking. (This has worked properly in the past, but I can't quite remember how I made it work fully).

Good thing for checking it out on omnipotent view before starting a serious game. Wink

Mod to FQM, have Image Mod in as well.

Fyron
Galactic Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you create a new map / savegame when you installed FQM?

Smarter than your average Texrak.

Terrell
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a new install on a old Win XP PC that didn't have SEIV.

By making a new map, do you mean what you do as you start a new game? I did use a secttype file that allowed ringed worlds to have atmospheres other than H2 and CO2 like earlier. As far as I know, the planet pics are the same from back when I had SE4 on my Win vista PC. (had saved the files from previous install on a separate hard drive)

There wasn't a previous game so there aren't any savegames. This issue was at the start of a new game. I set omniscent view so I could look for problems like this before getting into a game and finding such a thing.

Edit: Also it's the Methane & Oxygen worlds that are doing this, as far as I can tell H2 and CO2 ringed planets look normal.

Fyron
Galactic Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which FQM are you using? Standard or Deluxe?

How does this secttype.txt file differ from the standard FQM secttype.txt file? Where did you get it? Are the ringed planet pictures from the Image Mod*, or are they custom images that came with that file? If they are custom, you would need both the portrait images and the mini images in pictures\planets\planets.bmp.

Compare the new (or altered) entries, and look up the referenced planet pics in the planets.bmp mini file. See if they exist. You apparently already have portrait files, so you just need to figure out what happened to the minis.

* Also, do you have the latest version of the Image Mod installed? Note that installing it would overwrite any custom mini files that were added previously to your planets.bmp file.

Terrell
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fyron wrote:
Which FQM are you using? Standard or Deluxe?

How does this secttype.txt file differ from the standard FQM secttype.txt file? Where did you get it? Are the ringed planet pictures from the Image Mod*, or are they custom images that came with that file? If they are custom, you would need both the portrait images and the mini images in pictures\planets\planets.bmp.

Compare the new (or altered) entries, and look up the referenced planet pics in the planets.bmp mini file. See if they exist. You apparently already have portrait files, so you just need to figure out what happened to the minis.

* Also, do you have the latest version of the Image Mod installed? Note that installing it would overwrite any custom mini files that were added previously to your planets.bmp file.

The secttype differs in that 2 Oxygen atmosphere ringed planets were added, and 2 Methane atmosphere ringed planets were added. I copied one of the H2 or CO2 atmosphere files and changed the pic number (the pic you see is the one used for the planet) and atmosphere type for each type added. Those were the only changes made to the original.

FQM deluxe v210 (came on the SEIV Deluxe disc). BTW, thanks for making that mod, I enjoy it greatly. Love the bigger galaxies, the massive planets, asteroids belts. etc. I usually avoid the Irradiated worlds.

I'm not sure if it's the latest version of image mod, I downloaded it in .rar files from here. http://www.spaceempires.net/downloads-cat-15.html
It was broken up into various types of pics, planets, combat, facilities, etc. P1083 and P1112 are the Methane ones, P1047 and P1048 are the O2 ones.

The pics I mentioned are in the SEIV folder under pictures\Planets. They are also located under FQM pictures\planets. I'm not sure which location is more important but the contents in both locations are the same. I've also noticed that as far as I can tell only the O2 and CH4 atmosphere planets have this problem. none of the others are affected.

There is one picture with lots of tiny planet pictures on it, is that the picture that provides the versions on the starmap?

Edit: Replaced the Planets.bmp file, and it works fine now. Thank you Fyron. (Both for the help & making your Quadrant Mod)

Fyron
Galactic Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah good, you seem to have worked it out. For future reference, files in a mod folder are used in place of the files in the base folders. Individual files, like planets.bmp, don't get combined.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> SEIV Modding Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: