This site is in archival mode. A replacement is being developed. In the meantime, please use the PBW2 Forums for community discussions. The replacement software for this site will use a unified account system with PBW2, and any newly created threads will carry over.
Welcome to Spaceempires.net
Login or Register

Search
Modules
· Content
· Downloads
· Forums
· Game Info
· Image Gallery
· Links
· Shipyards
· Topics
· Staff

User Info
· Welcome, Anonymous
Membership:
· New: Astorre
· New Today: 0
· New Yesterday: 0
· Overall: 3155

People Online:
· Visitors: 139
· Members: 0
· Total: 139

Spaceempires.net :: Hey, Bearclaw :: View topic
Forum FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Hey, Bearclaw

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> Dark Nova Mod
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormy
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Hey, Bearclaw Reply with quote

I was giving some thought to a mod I wanted to make, but it turns out a large part is impossible, so I am gonna use yers for a base. While I am making this for personal use, I was kinda hoping to contribute to your project as I like alot of the things it does.

I just finished giving vehiclesizes.txt the same treatment I gave the compenhancement and I plan on hitting up pretty much all the other descriptions, just to implement a standard format and to make it more efficient, for instance "Small size makes this ship 65% harder to hit in combat" is now simply "Tiny: +65% Evasion"

The other thing I was planning on doing was taking some of the graphics from Eclipse (the storms are absolutely amazing) and improving the overall appearance, and I also want to make more planet/sector types.

What I am not palnning on affecting is balance, stats, traits or any of the stuff that I am certain you spent a long time making sure works just right (I learned my lesson when I changed the 49% to 50% on the light mount), for now it will be a graphical enhancement, descriptions overhaul and system plugin.

If you are not interested, then that is OK with me, but don't rage if I distribute a "Dark Nova: Storm Edition" when satisfied, altough I would much rather contribute to the next release. I was a regular of Phrozen Keep back when the D2 scene was major but had to sever ties with the site due to disgust over thier policies regarding modding mods. Yeah... they are OK with modding a game, but to mod someones mod is unacceptable, and they didn't see the irony.

Stormy
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an epiphany. Monsters. Many mods try to do them, try to make them random, interesting and such, and also work in the game's engine. And also, you likely know, I have always kind of had a problem with the seperation of Ice/Rock planet types (in space, ice and rock act exactly the same), and that gas colonies were equal to Ice/Rock for size.

Well, I been thinking of making all normal races have both rock and ice colony techs, but make ice cost about ten times more to build. If your race ice an ice native then your ice colonies will be nearly as cheap as rock, and if you are rock your rock colonies are dirt cheap (pun intended). Now, since everyone will need to research to use gas giants it should not throw off the balance to make them bigger. Then make it so that only monsters can colonize gas giants. You may need to change the monsters around a little if you want them to expand, but having monsters growing in a gas giant is actually fairly plausable, an invisible planet not so much.

The more I think about it, the more I like the gas giants/monsters idea.

Alikiwi
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
and I also want to make more planet/sector types

You do realise that the planet pack (15) has 1171 planets and stars and storms etc? And that the ABK Quadrant Mod has something like 131 nebulae pics! Thats a huge amount of variety to choose from.

The planet pics include a large number of new asteroids, plus ringed ice and gas worlds as well as new ringed rock worlds. Could save you a lot of work Wink

Venturing into the unknown

Stormy
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not making a single new image. That is not what will add diversity to the game. I mean, in FQM, which Dark Nova uses, there are 2 images per massive gas, but in the image pack are dozens images that could be a massive gas giant, but they are unused.

I would like to use enough of the images available that you will rarely see the same planet twice. And at the same time I want to expand on sector types. Both of these things I would never have done without the massive amount of images available.

The images I am talking about replacing are unused by FQM, and if I am FQM compatable when I am done, then bonus. But this is for myself, and I am gonna do it in whatever fashion is easiest and produces the desired results.

Edit - This was kinda in reply to both of your posts.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> Dark Nova Mod All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: