This site is in archival mode. A replacement is being developed. In the meantime, please use the PBW2 Forums for community discussions. The replacement software for this site will use a unified account system with PBW2, and any newly created threads will carry over.
Welcome to Spaceempires.net
Login or Register

Search
Modules
· Content
· Downloads
· Forums
· Game Info
· Image Gallery
· Links
· Shipyards
· Topics
· Staff

User Info
· Welcome, Anonymous
Membership:
· New: Astorre
· New Today: 0
· New Yesterday: 0
· Overall: 3155

People Online:
· Visitors: 53
· Members: 0
· Total: 53

Spaceempires.net :: Leaky Components idear!!! :: View topic
Forum FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Leaky Components idear!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> SEV Modding Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
azacool89
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Leaky Components idear!!! Reply with quote

What happens when a ship has a ECM on it... some shots miss the ship.

what if we make armor components have an ECM effect with a scope of object. If we set it to 5% defense and the ship has a 25% chance to be missed at the current range, there will be a 30% chance you miss that component and a 25% chance you miss the rest of the ship...

ill test it tonight with armor with +def of 100% to see its working

azacool89
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that was a flop...
Object in this case means space object. There for my armor components were making the ship really had to hit with there 100% bonus to def...
I will never give up...
The other way i was thinking was using leaky shields as armor and solid shields as well shields. That is how i`m making my seiv mod, if i ever finish.

In that system components need more hp as the armor will be leaking lots of damage. Just need to balance (kwok lol) the leaky armor vs shields so that your only putting on armor to make damage 50% and going shields for more raw hp.

CaptainKwok
Balance Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difficulty you face is that the to hit calculation is done on a vehicle basis, not at the component level. The damage itself is doled out (and applied to components) after a hit has already been calculated.

Space Empires Depot | SE:V Balance Mod

azacool89
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping otherwise. It was a good idea in ether case. There's other functions i can use to my own amusement. So keep trying. Smile

azacool89
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

!WORKING LEAKY ARMOR!

Its not seiv but its still sexy. Smile

Its in the damagetypes.txt and armor must be on outer or inner slots. Will not work on Armor slot as it will just work like normal.

Code:

Damage Type Name                                := Normal
Description                                     := Normal damage that must go through shields and armor before damaging a ship.
Picture Number                                  := 1
Cannot Penetrate Any Kind Of Shields            := FALSE
Cannot Penetrate Any Kind Of Armor              := FALSE
Number Of Vehicle Types                         := 0
Number of Shield Types                          := 0
Number of Armor Types                           := 0
Internal Damage Percent                         := 100
Facility Damage Percent                         := 25
Population Amount Killed Per Damage Point       := 0.04
Crew Amount Killed Per Damage Point             := 0
Is Viral Weapon                                 := FALSE
Number Of Special Effects                       := 0
Number Of Requirements                          := 1
Requirements Evaluation Availability            := TRUE
Requirements Evaluation Allows Placement        := TRUE
Requirements Evaluation Allows Usage            := 1
Requirement 1 Description                       := Only destroys components that generate movement.
Requirement 1 Formula                           := iif(Random(0,5) > 0,Does_Component_Have_Ability("AI Tag 1"), Does_Component_Have_Ability("AI Tag 2"))
Number Of Abilities                             := 0

All components need "AI Tag 1" and all non armor needs "AI Tag 2"

This works. Iv even did it with set abilities like "Control Center".

Found it due to component formula not recalculating after the design was set. So i went looking at other files. It turns out damagetypes.txt recalculates at every shot.

EDIT: There is no way to call how much armor is left on a ship or how much there was in the first place... or if there ever way any. so iv remade the damage type so that 25% of hits will only damage armor/nothing, and 25% of hits will skip armor. To note also the Requirements field in the damage type is randomized every time it gets to a new component, it therefor can skip an armor plate, skip the next component because its not armor and then hit the other side of the ship and take out an armor plate. Its still directional but with some modding one can make outer slots the new "armor" and the old armor into GGmod shields. That will leave you with inner slots that are directional. Might start on a mine-mod for balance mod.

Code:

Damage Type Name                                := Normal
Description                                     := Normal damage that must go through shields and armor before damaging a ship.
Picture Number                                  := 1
Cannot Penetrate Any Kind Of Shields            := FALSE
Cannot Penetrate Any Kind Of Armor              := FALSE
Number Of Vehicle Types                         := 0
Number of Shield Types                          := 0
Number of Armor Types                           := 0
Internal Damage Percent                         := 100
Facility Damage Percent                         := 25
Population Amount Killed Per Damage Point       := 0.04
Crew Amount Killed Per Damage Point             := 0
Is Viral Weapon                                 := FALSE
Number Of Special Effects                       := 0
Number Of Requirements                          := 1
Requirements Evaluation Availability            := TRUE
Requirements Evaluation Allows Placement        := TRUE
Requirements Evaluation Allows Usage            := 1
Requirement 1 Description                       := 25% of hits will only damage armor. 25% of hits will skip armor.
Requirement 1 Formula                           := iif(Random(1,4) = 4, Does_Component_Have_Ability("Component - Is Armor Type"), iif(Random(1,3) = 3, iif(Does_Component_Have_Ability("Component - Is Armor Type"), FALSE, TRUE), TRUE))
Number Of Abilities                             := 0

Note: You still need to change armor to outer slots or it will function like solid armor.

Arralen
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, what you've got is basically not leaky armour, but leaky bulkheads. No really what was asked for, but not bad neverttheless Wink

Btw., do the special armour abilities work on those bulkheads, especially e.g. shield generation?
If not, why not keep armour as armour, but with max. 1/ship, to be able to access those abilities, and add those bulkheads ...

There are some drawbacks, though:

- The AI cannot build ships with armour slabs in "outer" instead of "armour"
- The AI does not have any sense of direction when it comes to shipbuilding .. so it will end up with all armour on the front, or the middle, if damage will still be applied directionally

Furthermore, I wonder what all the randomising does to combat resolution speed Confused

azacool89
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the only component in the outer layer is the new armor then it is leaky armor not leaky bulkhead. The armor tag does nothing out of the armor layer, that is if "normal armor" takes 3x damage then a "normal armor" that is in the outer layer will take normal damage.
Abilities like armor regenerate, shields from damage, ect. will work as they do not need the component to be in the armor layer or to even be armor.

The AI can build ships with the "bulkheads" in the right place however it need the override file to be active. In mods like gritty galaxy you can even go further and have every shot be ether true or false, it will make every component leaky.

On Speed, my pc does not slow at all due to the new random function in play. After all the computer already does 2 randoms normally, that is the to hit chance and the damage between the weapons min and max, one or two more randoms to see if the weapons skips a component is like firing another weapon so no real loss.

Blackphoenix
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>> iif(Random(1,4) = 4,
>> iif(Random(1,3) = 3
In this case it will be more likely 25% and 33% chances.

Ender
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea, azacool!

The potential of the idea is to make not just armor leaky but to make all components in I/O slots leaky. I've just checked it and it works perfectly. If you place in the requirement just iff(Random(1,4) = 4, false, true) then every hit that passes normal armor layers in A slots will have a small chance to get to the most of internal components - thus, there is a possibility to arrange it so that every hit has a small chance to render a ship unoperational destroying its bridge. The chance is smaller if a ship has more components, especially in Outer Hull so it's smaller for larger ships - wonderful!

azacool89
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is only one problem with it at the moment, there is a chance that at the last random if it turns up false, the ship is effectively missed. Not that that really matters. Smile have fun with it

For Tarona, The Great Red Sea

Ender
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not necessarily, if it's arranged so that for Bridge it's never false Smile

azacool89
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the hit must then be randomed after the last component for the last "component" that being the ships hull. i geuss you could give the hull an ability, say "AI Tag 01" then make the weapon call true, or false if the component didn't have this ability. You could then make none penetrable components by giving them "AI Tag 01"

hmmm we now have a way of making components have a penetration value by using the AI Tags 1-20...

For Tarona, The Great Red Sea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> SEV Modding Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: