This site is in archival mode. A replacement is being developed. In the meantime, please use the PBW2 Forums for community discussions. The replacement software for this site will use a unified account system with PBW2, and any newly created threads will carry over.
Welcome to Spaceempires.net
Login or Register

Search
Modules
· Content
· Downloads
· Forums
· Game Info
· Image Gallery
· Links
· Shipyards
· Topics
· Staff

User Info
· Welcome, Anonymous
Membership:
· New: Astorre
· New Today: 0
· New Yesterday: 0
· Overall: 3155

People Online:
· Visitors: 196
· Members: 0
· Total: 196

Spaceempires.net :: Horrible Frame Rates :: View topic
Forum FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Horrible Frame Rates

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> SEV Spaceport
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zkythen
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Horrible Frame Rates Reply with quote

I know it's been discussed some, but I still haven't found a decent solution short of dual-booting. Running the steam edition of SE:V on Windows 7 seems to megafail on framerates. Personally I'm running an ati hd 4770, and I get 30 frames on system view and about 13 in research. My friend gets similar ressults with his ati card on his desktop, but his laptop has an nVidia 8600m gt and he gets 7fps in system view and less than one in research.

Changing multi-threading to true doesn't seem to make any difference, nor do the graphics settings or compatability apart from resolution. playing windowed helps significantly (15-20%), but for my friend the difference between 7 and 10 fps isn't very helpful.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

TheThirdEye
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At that FPS the only real solution I know of is dual booting. XP or 98 both work well. I found 7-15 FPS went to 50-70 FPS using the same system (a little better under 98, but that depends on the video driver/card more than anything else). Just use a minimal install, video drivers and DX; delete all the extras that you can though the control panel, and then install SEV.

CityBuilder
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Total and complete nightmare and unplayable at 6 to 10 fps.

I've set all settings to their lowest and still get abysmal frame rates. If it is supposed to run great under windows xp and 98, why does it not do so in compatiblity mode, or at least get somewhat decent fps?

Running Windows 7, I don't know how to install XP as a dual boot as a lot of what I've read seems to suggest that installing Windows XP or 98 after Windows 7 will mess up the MBR and I won't be able to boot back into Windows 7 so it's not something that I would undertake lightly just to get a $2.49 game to function performance wise properly.

I love all the options in the game, but this terrible performance is really bringing down my enthusiasm for this franchise.

If anybody has exacting instructions that can be found on the web for installing XP after 7 please speak up, I'd at least like to read them and see if it's something Im willing to take a chance on.

Also, what about using the Windows 7 emulation of XP?

CaptainKwok
Balance Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The primary hurdle is that SE5 under Vista/Win7 is run under some sort emulation mode since it's written for an earlier version of DirectX.

Disabling clear type fonts is usually makes for the best FPS improvement.

Space Empires Depot | SE:V Balance Mod

CityBuilder
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, I will try that. If I could just get a steady 20fps I know that would be acceptable for my eyes.

I'm also going to try Window 7 XP Mode, although with the software that I've had to run under XP Mode in the past, the performance was really bad, even non game applications suffered tremendously trying to move certain windows around the screen.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> SEV Spaceport All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: