This site is in archival mode. A replacement is being developed. In the meantime, please use the PBW2 Forums for community discussions. The replacement software for this site will use a unified account system with PBW2, and any newly created threads will carry over.
Welcome to Spaceempires.net
Login or Register

Search
Modules
· Content
· Downloads
· Forums
· Game Info
· Image Gallery
· Links
· Shipyards
· Topics
· Staff

User Info
· Welcome, Anonymous
Membership:
· New: Astorre
· New Today: 0
· New Yesterday: 0
· Overall: 3155

People Online:
· Visitors: 254
· Members: 0
· Total: 254

Spaceempires.net :: some questions :: View topic
Forum FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

some questions
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> SEV Spaceport
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crizbee
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject: some questions Reply with quote

hi

i have some questions about the game se5 + bmod

1) what is the difference between phased shield and deflector shield
and which type is better ?

2) is it better to use more shields or more recharge units in the
ships ?

3) is there no way to upgrade all facilities in the whole empire with one click ? its a pain to choose every colony and upgrade the facilities
manuell.

4) is there a tech tree chart for the bmod available ?

5) which technologies should i research first for gain a technological advantage ?

personally i prefer applied research for some turns and then
gas colony,ice colony, ship hulls, engines, physics, sensors,
repair, stellar harness and then some weapons and extractions
but maybe there is a better way to research.

greetings crizbee

nicknick
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i play Se5, so cant answer, but some questions and they could probably differ.

1)Phased shield is the one which isnt bypassed by Phased-Polaron Beam(skips normal shields). I'd go for Phased, because of below.

2)Recharge is better imho, with enough shield to resist a couple of hits. They regenerate pretty fast.

3) in stock its the Wrench icon/ Upgrade facilities button

4) Download here, but you can also start a new game with cheats enabled type: `alltech`, to get everything and each component and tech will have its reqs listed

crizbee
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: hi Reply with quote

hi

thanx for the answer^^

i wont get alltech at the start, i like do research it on my
own.
but i want avoid to research in wrong directions,
in my empire now i have some useful things like the solarsail and solarcollector explore after 300 turns.

greetings crizbee

nicknick
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nah just make a separate savegame(new game) with alltech and look it up when needed. I did and its faster than opening a pdf. (and with full description anyway). As for techs i cant really say, they are probably different in BM.

crizbee
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: another question Reply with quote

hi

some of my planets are say: lack of ressources since 10 or more turns.

can i do something against that ?

greetings crizbee

Hazcom13
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few reasons you can get that message.

One is; you could accually be out of resources. Click on the crown symbol, and that will open an economic page that summerizes your production and expenditures. If you have 0 stored resources, or have a negative net resources, you do not have enough of that resource to build what you have qued up.

The other two problems are related to your population. If you have gotten a plauge, your population slowly dies off. When you get to 0 population, you will hae no producation at that planet.

If your people are rioting(very unhappy), you will also have no production there. You can open the colony menu(dome symbol) and open the race screen, and you will see the population and mood on your planets.

crizbee
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: hi Reply with quote

yes its the population has shrinked to 0
how i get new population on this planet ?

send another colonizer ?

greetings crizbee

nicknick
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a ship with a cargo capacity and then transfer population with a "transfer Cargo" button (thats the one with 2 arrows) from planet to ship. A colonizer could double as a cargo transport indeed, or just something with a cargo transport module.

Hazcom13
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes; I usually have a few ships with just bare components(no weapons, minimal armor) crammed with cargo components for moving population.

You also want to find out why there is no population on those planets; usually there is migration onto planets with low polulation(1m a turn minimum).

I have only seen plents stay empty is there is a plague there(it kills the new polulation every turn). If you select the planet(in the system view or by right clicking on it in the construction page) there will be, in red letters, level X plauge. You want to fix the ilness before dropping more people there, or they will just die also.

nicknick
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be that due to an enemy attack, or a random event the dome on the planet was destroyed => population instantly zero and doesnt come back. In which case he'll also need a repair ship. Is this feature still on in BMod? I have an impression that the "balance" mod is for those who cant handle the rules of the stock, original game.

Shrike
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no such thing, not in stock and not in BM. The "rules" are the same, BM just fixes the poor math formulas used in stock to balance things that are so broken that they easily become game killers if you know how to exploit them. Changing the tech tree aspect from stock SEV to a more SEIV style wasn't really necessary in BM, but most people find it an improvement.

There are a couple of reasons for depopulated planets and they have nothing to do with the planet being domed or not. There could be a plague, like Hazcom13 already said, or you could have designed your race with too low reproduction and loyalty rates. In such case, the worse your planetary conditions are, the faster your population may migrate away to other planets. I've even seen homeworlds run empty because of this. You can research stuff that improves reproduction and loyalty and change the planet's atmosphere to optimal to counter these negative migration effects. Check your race tab in the planetary detais to see whether you have a positive balance between migration and reproduction to see how you're doing.

For a comprehensive BM techtree, you can also look here: http://www.poeland.com/SE5/techtree/index.html. It's not updated to the latest version, but still quite accurate.

nicknick
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is no population it cant grow back, and if there was an attack or a sufficient population affecting event, (like an earthquake) there will be no population. Wink

Shrike, do you even know what math is, let alone claiming developers dont know it. Seriously. For instance, designing a ship with no PD whatsoever, and then let it get destroyed by seeker weapons at a rate of 15 to 1, like you did in a neighbour thread, doesnt show of bad formulas, or some kind of imbalance requiring "fix". Its just plain inability to grasp even the simplest concepts of the game. People should learn how to play first, complain second. Common problem with.. ehh lesser skilled players. If they get owned its because the game is bad and needs FixPlz. And, while BMod does have some interesting features it inevitably is designed by the same people. Which is fine, really, its just a mod, with no relevance to SEV, let alone game balance.

Would be better though if Captain Kwok had kept "Nova light" and AI parts separated. Would benefit both parts. True, like keeping the tech tree where it belongs to. Not that i particularly care.

Fyron
Galactic Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[moderator mode]
Drop the attitude. There is no need to be rude to other posters.
[/moderator mode]

You can feel free to dislike the Balance Mod, but the fact is that the stock game data files are absolutely not mathematically sound (and thus unbalanced). This opinion does not come out of a vacuum: it is shared by many math and engineering types and was formulated way back in the first few versions of the beta. The data files have had a few of the more egregious problems adjusted, but they were never seriously reworked to provide a balanced game. It is not a matter of learning the rules, so much as a realization that the data inputs to those rules are fundamentally broken. Balance Mod is one effort to fix them.

Smarter than your average Texrak.

Shrike
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicknick wrote:
Could be that due to an enemy attack, or a random event the dome on the planet was destroyed.

I should have worded my reply differently. Yes, there's an earthquake event which will kill a random amount of people. Of course, enemies can glass your planet. If you choose to see that as an effect of a dome being cracked, then you're free to fill that in with your imagination. There's nothing in the data files that states anything of the kind and that's why I said there's no such thing.

I simply got bored with stock back in 2006 and haven't looked back ever since. Feel free to conclude from that anything you like. I will feel equally free to ignore you.

Ender
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicknick, it's easy to have the impression "Wow, I'm so great!" playing against AI, especially Stock AI, but try to play against people and you will see how much you have to learn about SEV to think this way once again. I'm so sure of it that I dare even say: you are going to be much less inclined to have any quick assumption about lesser player skills of your opponents for quite a while.

Anyway, it's so... hm... entertaining when you say about BM which is obviously one of SEV mods: "...its just a mod, with no relevance to SEV..."

nicknick
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[moderator]
If you want to continue this line of conversation, drop the attitude. Final warning.
[/moderator]

crizbee
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: more questions Reply with quote

hi

ok back to my question

i have figured out that a plague is the problem why my population
of this planet has gone.
so how could i fix it with no medical center on this planet and no
people to build one ?

about mines

if i want to build a minefield at warppoints or something
i think i have to build a freighter with minelayers aboard and then
build mines on planet and load them onto the freighter ?

about BM

first i play the game in stock on ai easy and it was boring.

then i try bm and difficulty medium and the ai kicks me in ass.

the third game now is bm and ai is easy and theyre going to kick me in ass again.
its the norek continuum or something like that.
iam a technological superpower but ive missed to build an sufficient
fleet.

now they attecked me with no reason and have a really big fleet.

first i attacked with nullspace weapons and torpedos but theyre
ships use huge amounts of pd in theyre designs and i lost a lot of ships.

now i use ship designs based on beam weapons and kick them ass
bur i dont know how i can build enough ships to beat them back.

greetings crizbee
now i have bu

ForesterSOF
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the plague you could build a medical ship and send it to the planet.

To build more you could make space stations with SYs on them so ...

CaptainKwok
Balance Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: more questions Reply with quote

crizbee wrote:
i have figured out that a plague is the problem why my population of this planet has gone. so how could i fix it with no medical center on this planet and no people to build one ?

You need to research Medical Treatment, which gives you the Medical Bay
component. Create and build a ship with this component and send it to the affected planet.

Quote:
if i want to build a minefield at warppoints or something
i think i have to build a freighter with minelayers aboard and then
build mines on planet and load them onto the freighter ?

Exactly.

Space Empires Depot | SE:V Balance Mod

nicknick
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mines are placed with any ship with a minelayer module(s), not necessarily a freighter. Yep produced on a planet. I have no experience with plagues, cause im always immune to that, but the Medical module cures stuff.

A massive fleet can be raised with an armada of ships equipped with a Space Yard module. Say you have 16 cheapo constructors, they will produce 16ships in like 5 turns. And then another 16. Its all about ships, planets are just for resources lol.

crizbee
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: thx Reply with quote

ah captain kwok himself, thanks for the answer^^

i suggest you insert a very easy level for the ai,
on easy it is to hard for me i think.

i like it to be like the borg, one single ship crush
a hole fleet and something like that.

i like to play as an researcher so i neglect the other aspects like
production and science occasionally.

greetings crizbee

CaptainKwok
Balance Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difficulty levels have no affect on the AI (either in Stock or BM). The AI Bonus does work and is the only proxy for difficulty right now.

In v1.20 of BM, I was going to add in some AI elements based on the difficulty level. It'll mostly affect the AI's intuition and how it adapts to other empire's designs/tactics.

crizbee
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: hi Reply with quote

does that mean the difficult levels in stock and bm are the same ?

and there is no difficult between easy or hard ?

but when that is so why the ai in stock sits on one lousy planet and does
nothing ?

greetings crizbee

CaptainKwok
Balance Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no references in the AI scripts to difficultly levels, so there's no differences in behaviour at different levels. The AI players do the same things they would whether it's set to easy or difficult. To my knowledge, no one has yet to do an AI that has incorporated the difficulty setting into their behaviour. Personally I haven't done it yet because I've been focusing on improving the AI first.

The stock AI is not very good because it hasn't been developed all that much. It's set up to only handle the most basic tasks and doesn't make many adjustments based on the situation it finds itself in. The Balance Mod AI is much more developed and takes advantage of most game features along with more advanced decision making and analysis routines. That's what makes it more challenging.

Possible explanations for an AI that doesn't do anything is that you might have encountered a neutral empire which doesn't leave its home system or if you've downloaded custom ship sets, they might not have working AI for the later versions of the game.

Fyron
Galactic Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In SE4, choosing the lower difficulty levels just resulted in the AI disabling some ministers, thus crippling itself. There was never any actual difficulty slider coded into SE AI, so you aren't missing a whole lot on that front.

Smarter than your average Texrak.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> SEV Spaceport All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: