This site is in archival mode. A replacement is being developed. In the meantime, please use the PBW2 Forums for community discussions. The replacement software for this site will use a unified account system with PBW2, and any newly created threads will carry over.
Welcome to Spaceempires.net
Login or Register

Search
Modules
· Content
· Downloads
· Forums
· Game Info
· Image Gallery
· Links
· Shipyards
· Topics
· Staff

User Info
· Welcome, Anonymous
Membership:
· New: Astorre
· New Today: 0
· New Yesterday: 0
· Overall: 3155

People Online:
· Visitors: 80
· Members: 0
· Total: 80

Spaceempires.net :: Tech cost idea :: View topic
Forum FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Tech cost idea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> Space Empires Nova Mod
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ekolis
Virtual Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Tech cost idea Reply with quote

Say, I think it was Suicide Junkie who came up with this idea, but I think it's pretty cool and I'd like to see it in a mod... might even go along with the research breakthrough idea! Anyway, here goes...

What if each technology's first level cost a lot to research, but then the cost returned to the normal progression afterward? Almost as if every tech had its own theoretical prerequisite, but it still gave you the first level? Sorta like in Dark Nova with the ship construction tech? Wink The formula is simple:

cost = iif([%Level%] = 1, 10 * [%BaseCost%], [%Level%] * [%BaseCost%])

Then if you have a tech with a "base cost" of 10K, the first level costs 100K, but the rest cost 20K, 30K, 40K, etc.

When technology trading/sharing is banned, and breakthroughs are in place, this will further encourage diversity of empires' research... ooh, especially if there were to be fewer theoretical prerequisites! Go for the sure thing of the DUC's which cost 50K for level 1, or try to get wave motion guns right away, even though the first level might cost 800K points - but you COULD get lucky!

That's no space station - it's a spreadsheet!

CaptainKwok
Balance Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I very much like this idea of threshold cost.

Space Empires Depot | SE:V Balance Mod

ForesterSOF
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do that you could also throw in some randomness need of +- 15% for unexpected problems or breakthroughs.

And with all research problems outnumber breakthroughs.

set newcost=cost(random(0.95, 1.10))
set cost = newcost

Ender
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great idea, ekolis! This is so great that I've even bothered myself to check whether or not it works in SE5 - sadly, it looks like it doesn't. The only workaround I see could be manage by multiplying the tech cost by 10 and then setting an event that would multiply a turn's tech progress change by 10 unless it's the 1st tech level.

CaptainKwok
Balance Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This formula should be set in Formulas.txt, not the TechAreas.txt file. Where did you make your edit?

Ender
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried it in Formulas.txt and its modified versions in TechAreas.txt - it doesn't work for me in both files. The cost is somehow always 0.

Edit: It works! As you've probably notified I'm hard to force into surrender and it's paid off again Wink My formulas (as Ekolis' one) lacked a simple "_" in Base_Cost. With it included it works great! It's even save-compatible! There are still so many simple ways SE5 can be improved... Very Happy

CaptainKwok
Balance Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know it was a typo.

For the record, the cost field in TechAreas.txt doesn't accept formulas.

rnl
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, ender can you show us a example of the code you used to get it to work, I'm having no luck with the setup so far, thanks.

Rnl

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> Space Empires Nova Mod All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: