This site is in archival mode. A replacement is being developed. In the meantime, please use the PBW2 Forums for community discussions. The replacement software for this site will use a unified account system with PBW2, and any newly created threads will carry over.
Welcome to Spaceempires.net
Login or Register

Search
Modules
· Content
· Downloads
· Forums
· Game Info
· Image Gallery
· Links
· Shipyards
· Topics
· Staff

User Info
· Welcome, Anonymous
Membership:
· New: Astorre
· New Today: 0
· New Yesterday: 0
· Overall: 3155

People Online:
· Visitors: 204
· Members: 0
· Total: 204

Spaceempires.net :: Diplomacy in SEV vs. Diplomacy in other similar titles :: View topic
Forum FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Diplomacy in SEV vs. Diplomacy in other similar titles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> SEV Spaceport
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JetJaguar
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:16 am    Post subject: Diplomacy in SEV vs. Diplomacy in other similar titles Reply with quote

Hi; I'm new to SEV (in fact, I'm still reading the pdf manual).

I just read the section on diplomacy. I've played a good deal of GalCiv2 (with it's two expansions) and my question is: Does diplomacy in SEV have a lot more depth than diplomacy in GalCiv2? After reading the section on diplomacy in SEV, I'm really impressed with the amount of options available. Does diplomacy work in game as well as it reads in the manual?

If so, that's fantastic because I've always thought that diplomacy was a weakness in these type of games.

Thanks in advance

marhawkman
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use BM AIs it does. Stock AIs are horrible to work with. they don't know how to write a decent treaty and don't care whether or not you can crush them to tomato paste if they piss you off.

Green_Knight
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only played the stock game, and believe me...the AI is STUPID!

IT kept on insisting that we both stop all research! And that item kept appearing in all the treaties the AI wanted to make.

Enough said.

Ender
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps it wasn't that stupid... Perhaps it was actually clever when he realized he couldn't compete with you in that field... Wink

Lorq13
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diplomacy is the ONLY thing GalcivII does better than SEV. BM does help a lot in SEV, and makes the stock AI's have personality.

JetJaguar
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorq13 wrote:
Diplomacy is the ONLY thing GalcivII does better than SEV. BM does help a lot in SEV, and makes the stock AI's have personality.

Diplomacy is better in GalCiv 2 than in SEV with BM?

I'm still learning SEV; but I just read the manual section on diplomacy and SEV seems to offer a lot more options than GalCiv 2 diplomacy.

Emperor_Invisible
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diplomacy in galciv2 is simple compared to SEV.

Shoe
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AI's are much better at simple.

Person(s) denying the existence of killer robots may be killer robots themselves.

Emperor_Invisible
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoe wrote:
AI's are much better at simple.

I should of been more specific, I meant the options and what you can do with treaties and so forth, not what the ai does.

Lorq13
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I meant that the AI handles Diplomacy in GalCivII much more smoothly, or it seemed more fluid to me. I liked the Idea of knowing what the AI would and would not go for. It has been a couple of years since I've played GalCivII, though(about the same time I got SEV.) I also remember liking the UI for diplomacy in GalCivII.
I also remember some terms were impossible to achieve, though(acquiring planets through trade), but many of these things are the same in SEV.
SEV does seems to have more options(taxing weak neighbors, disallowing intelligence or using WMD.)

Maddox
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disregarding AI, but thinking multi-player.

Yes diplomacy and politics are quite important and has a ton of options in SE5. Some wars are fought simply over political issues and some systems are not invaded for diplomatic reasons.

It can be dynamic if you have a group of players also being dynamic.

Bring it.

MoonshineFox
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My take on diplomacy in SEV vs GalCiv2 is that the AI in GalCiv2 is way better than the stock AI in SEV. IN GalCiv 2 the AI will recognize if you are trying to influence his planets and threaten you and so on and so forth.

The SEV stock AI seems completely random and it's treaties are completely whack for the most part. The BM AI for SEV is actually quite good. In my current game I have a brotherly treaty with one empire who share all their techs with me (me not sharing back), a protectorate treaty with some poor sods I completely grinded down into the bootshafts and another non-incursion treaty with a third race who seem reluctant to leave their home system.

I really only have one enemy, and that's the bloody ship-spamming Cue Cappa. Die, psychic slimeballs!

Anguille
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any good strategy in Diplomacy or should i just let it be?

In my first game with the last patch and balance mod, there are 3 empires at war with me, one neutral and i managed to sign a treaty with only one empire (and they even revised the treaty from 10% trade to 5%).

Thanks

Knights of Honor: conquer Europe
Glory of the roman Empire: build Rome!

TheThirdEye
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patience with treaties.
If the AI offers worse options than the treaty you have say NO (although it will affect your relations if you do). Very Happy Or even better, offer a counter treaty.

Sometimes it pays to accept a treaty you don't really want. Then relations tend to improve, and you can get a better treaty, if you have enough time.

Anguille
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheThirdEye wrote:
Patience with treaties.
If the AI offers worse options than the treaty you have say NO (although it will affect your relations if you do). Very Happy Or even better, offer a counter treaty.

Sometimes it pays to accept a treaty you don't really want. Then relations tend to improve, and you can get a better treaty, if you have enough time.

Thanks...the quality of my treaties seem to improve indeed!

Cheers

Knights of Honor: conquer Europe
Glory of the roman Empire: build Rome!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> SEV Spaceport All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: