This site is in archival mode. A replacement is being developed. In the meantime, please use the PBW2 Forums for community discussions. The replacement software for this site will use a unified account system with PBW2, and any newly created threads will carry over.
Welcome to Spaceempires.net
Login or Register

Search
Modules
· Content
· Downloads
· Forums
· Game Info
· Image Gallery
· Links
· Shipyards
· Topics
· Staff

User Info
· Welcome, Anonymous
Membership:
· New: Astorre
· New Today: 0
· New Yesterday: 0
· Overall: 3155

People Online:
· Visitors: 148
· Members: 0
· Total: 148

Spaceempires.net :: Star Trek Mod for SE 5 idea :: View topic
Forum FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Star Trek Mod for SE 5 idea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> Star Trek Mod
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brainsucker
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:34 am    Post subject: Star Trek Mod for SE 5 idea Reply with quote

Because of no activity in this mod forum, I decide to use this mod forum to discuss about the idea of Star Trek mod for Space Empire 5. Of course I can't make the mod as I'm not a programmer nor understand how to create a Star Trek Mod. But, as one of the Star Trek Freak, I hope that there is someone who read these ideas will get inspiration to create a new Star Trek Mod for Space Empire 5.

This thread is not my own idea alone. For you, the Star Trek fans who have ideas for Star Trek Mod but can't create the mod because of their limitation can join this threads and share their ideas to us.

My idea :

1. Don't limit the players from choosing their own tech choice. That mean A Federation Faction can even research distruptor cannon and a Romulan can has Quantum Torpedoes and Pulse Cannon.

2. Racial Traits. I think Dominion should have Organic technology as they can create Jem'hadar and use them as their perfect soldier.

3. The techs are divided by three ages. 22nd century era, 23rd Century Era, and 24th Century Era.

ChrisVon
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actuall in the process of learning to mod for SEV, and a Star Trek mod for it is something I ultimately would like to accomplish. I thought I'd try, like the many who have said they would, adapting the Star Trek:Starship Tactical Combat Simulator board game to it (actually, others have said they wanted to adapt Star Fleet Battles to SV, NOT ST:STCS). While I'm somewhat successful at making a few things for SEV, I'm noticing really quickly how my idea of converting a board game version of Star Trek, is going to be somewhat more difficult that I had anticipated. There are aspects of the game engine that just handles things differently than the board game (not that it makes it bad).

Only thing I'm not sure about, is the "era"'s you propose. I'm not sure how a modder could constrict development of ship sizes & components to time based access.

inertiatic
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also like to see a Star Trek mod available. And I agree with most of the ideas you propose, except again for the idea of having 'eras'. I think the best chance of seeing a good, working ST mod is to keep it simple - perhaps use BM as a basis for the AI then just modify the tech areas and components to incorporate Star Trek technologies. After that you almost have a complete working mod right there.

In my opinion its best not to get too ambitious with this - we can talk for months about what we would ideally like to see in a ST mod but are any of us really capable of implementing some of the more ambitious ideas we come up with? Keeping it simple avoids getting sidetracked.

As for myself, I think the idea of using only a small number of 'warp nacelles' instead of engines is a good one, similar to the SE4 ST mod. I would like to see some of the other clever components from the SE4 mod incorporated too like Engineering stations - small comps (maybe 20kt) that can repair a ship very slowly, makes a ship more able to look after itself if its a long way from home.

Finally, I would like to see shuttles incorporated, perhaps taking the place of fighters. A shuttle would be much larger than your average fighter and would be able to take on a more diverse set of roles. You could have a 'shuttle bay' component and have each ship carry say up to 5 or 6 shuttles depending on its size.

Alikiwi
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dividing it into eras would not be possible, unless you create 3 seperate mods! That would be horendous. However, you can work it into the ship sizes.

Instead of researching just from smallest to largest, you could add advanced designs for each size along the way. So, in the early stages you have basic destroyer hull, several levels later (well maybe 3), you'd get destroyer, 3 lvls later you'd get advanced destroyer, and thereby 3 generations.

You would apply that theory to ALL hull sizes, so most sizes are available at the start, with perhaps the exception of anything larger than cruiser.

Venturing into the unknown

inertiatic
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that idea. So, for example, you could have a 'motion-picture' era heavy cruiser early on in your game but it wouldn't stand up to a more advanced cruiser from the 'next generation' era that you would research as the game progressed. Plus it sounds like a feasible way to incorporate the seperate 'eras' as previously discussed.

Might it also be possible to incorporate the 'neo-standard' ship classes here? That would enable you to use different models for the different 'eras', as opposed to using, for example, the galaxy-class model for federation battleships of every era.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> Star Trek Mod All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: