This site is in archival mode. A replacement is being developed. In the meantime, please use the PBW2 Forums for community discussions. The replacement software for this site will use a unified account system with PBW2, and any newly created threads will carry over.
Welcome to Spaceempires.net
Login or Register

Search
Modules
· Content
· Downloads
· Forums
· Game Info
· Image Gallery
· Links
· Shipyards
· Topics
· Staff

User Info
· Welcome, Anonymous
Membership:
· New: Astorre
· New Today: 0
· New Yesterday: 0
· Overall: 3155

People Online:
· Visitors: 71
· Members: 0
· Total: 71

Spaceempires.net :: Empire Report :: View topic
Forum FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Empire Report

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> Space Empires Nova Mod
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lialdia
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Empire Report Reply with quote

Note; Haven't checked personally how easy/hard this would be to implement.

One thing which has been puzzling me and few friends I play SE5 with has been the ease at which you can spy what your opposition is doing, technology wise, before they even start amassing fleets of these newly developed ships.
One simply has to open up the Empires window and click on Empire Report (after making contact with the empire in question, ofcourse), do this every turn and the 50% chance of the tech reports to be wrong start to actually be pretty meaningless.
At the beginning-middle phases this means no one can simply pump out one weapon type (seeker + fighters, for example) because opponent simply has to look at the report every turn to discover the enemy starting to amass certain weapon types, and he can begin researching counter to it before the other has even really gotten fleets going.

Ofcourse this brings out a strategy by itself for researching 'false' techs, trying to mislead the enemy empires. However it eliminates quite a big part of the surprise factor.
However it doesn't still eliminate the fact the enemies can spot all your 'secret' technologies without problem, as you can't hide them. For example racial techs, higher ship hull levels, drones, master computers and so on.

Would it be possible for Nova mod (even if not for BM itself) to do something about this?

Few ideas regarding how it could be changed;
- Only the techs which you know for sure the opponent has are listed (the starting levels + techs which have been acquired through encountering enemy ship designs, taking the highest level possible from the designs).
- Give a choice in the gamesetup to turn this on/off.
- Make the report have a vastly greater chance of showing incorrect tech levels.
- Make the report to not show all technology areas, but some of them only (even randomize which ones are showing every turn, possibly combined with greater chance of showing the levels wrong).
- As an extreme measure, disable the empire report entirely.

This is not game breaking, but it simply takes a lot of the thrill away from starting a border incursion, because you know almost exactly what the enemy brings to field.

CaptainKwok
Balance Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the late reply - I don't think I ever saw this post.

Unfortunately the empire estimates are under the domain of SE5's engine and can't be altered via scripting.

I'd recommend that only information acquired from combat, espionage, or shared technology should be listed here.

Space Empires Depot | SE:V Balance Mod

Lialdia
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's alright with the late reply, I haven't been looking at the forums myself for a while now either. Better to get late reply than not get one at all.

Why am I not surprised that it's not changeable via modding, should of looked about it myself I guess. Thank you for the clarification of that.

Well, then it's back to making 'gentleman rules' with friends to not look at eachother's techs while playing, so it's atleast some degree of a surprise what the opponent brings onto the field.

AndreyKl
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as this topic were about report, decided to post my "idea" here.

How about player only Report-Ministers?
for example turning on General report ministers would give each 10 turns something like this:
Quote:
Research: Our current research is 1254K it is 10K more then previous year - research growth is 1%. We have only 80% research comparing to empire A with bigest quadrant research.
Intel: Our current research is 125K it is 10K more then previous year - research growth is 9%. We have strongest inteligence in the quadrant, 120% comparing to empire B, which is following us in this metter
same with population, ships, resources.

Military report minister would say something like this (all analyses by primary weapon in designs/ships and their amount):
Quote:
Our analitics did a hard work analising enemy powers:
Empire A: Defence posible, too strong to be attacked for our forces. They prefer Missile ships.
Empire B: Empire is too far, high chances in defence and attack. They actively use their organic technology.
We have low ammount of missile ships, planet Quickitril II needs aditional defence.
Empire D gathering huge powers at system Remnorak near our system Orion

Research report:
Quote:

We are technologicaly strongest empire, but Empire D has Higher point defence technology...
We recomend to research Mineral extraction and Organic extraction.
We researched during this year:

ship-report (No need to count all ships and fleets, just few each turn):
Quote:
Ships Eclipce 0001 and Eclipce 0003 are to old and obsolete, we have no design we can retrofit them to, I recomend to scrap them or use in nearest battle.
Ships Eclipse II 0005 is too old ando bsolet it still can be retrofited
Ships Repair 0001 is not far from unmobilized ship Eclipse III and has no orders
Fllet Alpha needs repair and has no repair ships, nearest repair station or planet at Immelman (-6;1)

Same things could be done for planet reports (need population removal or aditional population, planet good for mineral base e t c, no space port/fuel depot in the system)

ForesterSOF
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my first thought is a script that gives all minister reports.

the problem i see with that is not everyone wants that info and the amount of info could be big.

AndreyKl
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is not a problem - you can allow player to turn those reports on/off same way as usual ministers at empire screen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> Space Empires Nova Mod All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: