This site is in archival mode. A replacement is being developed. In the meantime, please use the PBW2 Forums for community discussions. The replacement software for this site will use a unified account system with PBW2, and any newly created threads will carry over.
Welcome to Spaceempires.net
Login or Register

Search
Modules
· Content
· Downloads
· Forums
· Game Info
· Image Gallery
· Links
· Shipyards
· Topics
· Staff

User Info
· Welcome, Anonymous
Membership:
· New: Astorre
· New Today: 0
· New Yesterday: 0
· Overall: 3155

People Online:
· Visitors: 158
· Members: 0
· Total: 158

Spaceempires.net :: For Referance - Patrol Ship Tender :: View topic
Forum FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

For Referance - Patrol Ship Tender

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> House Bifrost
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heimdall
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:14 am    Post subject: For Referance - Patrol Ship Tender Reply with quote

I have noticed when discussing what information he would like in a tender submission, Kana occasionally makes referance to the tender I submitted for the Patrol Contract. It occurs to me that besides myself and Kana, no-one has seen the submission.

Personally I feel I may have gone a little bit overboard; I had some free time while I was writing the tender and ran a lot of simulations. Some of the design variants I testing in the simulator did later become the potential variants I listed at the bottom of the tender. The design names came from a quick search of wikipedia.

I think an important part of this type of submission is justifying the design choices you have made. Don't rely on the person evaluating the submission seeing the effectiveness of your design just by looking at the components list.

-----------------------------------------------------

Class Name: Falcon

Costs
Mineral 3200
Organic 0
Radioactive 2375

Components
Bridge
System Automation
Drive Reactor
4 Engines
1 Ancient Supply Bay
2 External Heavy Explosive Missiles

Strategy - Maximum Weapon Range

-----

Design Concept
Given the tight requirement for speed and cost any submitted design must make sacrifices, be it in armour, firepower or other area. The Falcon is entirely dependent upon it's speed and superior weapon range for survival, sacrificing all armour so that 25% of the tonnage can be devoted to long range missile systems. The standard Maximum Weapon Range strategy is used to keep the vessel beyond the range of any enemy direct fire weapons.

-----

One on One Simulation Results

Falcon Vs Firefly B - Five simulated engagements. Before the 30 turn limit is reached the Falcon consistently inflicts in excess of 500 points of damage with no damage inflicted in return.

Falcon Vs Amman - Simulations consistently end in both ships destroying each other.

Falcon vs PT - PT destroyed in five engagements with out inflicting any damage on Falcon.

Falcon vs Cat - Falcon undamaged in three engagements. Cat received 325, 430 and 250 points of damage respectively

Falcon vs Hunter - Falcon destroyed in each engagement. Hunter received 280, 280, 210, 350 and 245 point of damage respectively.

Falcon vs Boxer - Five simulated engagement. Falcon Survived Undamaged & Boxer received 480 damage, Falcon Destroyed & Boxer received 420 damage, Falcon Survived undamaged & Boxer received 480 damage, Falcon Survived undamaged & Boxer 510 damaged, Falcon Destroy & Boxer 480 damage

As can be seen from the above tests, while dominant against direct fire ships, the Falcon is vulnerable to return fire from enemy long range missile systems. However even in these situations the Falcon regularly inflicts major damage on opposing vessels that are both larger and more expensive to build than itself.

-----

For a testing a large group of Falcons against a group of enemy ships I simulated balanced fleet with a mixture of direct fire, missile and point defense ships. A squadron of six Falcons was used for the simulations.

Simulation Results...............................1st...................2nd.................3rd................4th

Bolt Hurler (Missile Destroyer) ......210/427 .......Undamaged......Undamaged........Undamaged
Rauland (Ukra Tal PD Frigate).......185/428.........Destroyed........250/428 ..............Destroyed
Stinger (Destroyer Gunboat).........Destroyed......Destroyed.........660/704 .............690/704
Firefly B (Frigate Gunboat).............675/691 .......Destroyed.........Destroyed............420/691

Falcon ........................................Undamaged.......Undamaged........Undamaged.........Undamaged
Falcon ........................................Undamaged.......Undamaged........Undamaged.........Undamaged
Falcon ............................................60/90.............Undamaged........Destroyed............70/90
Falcon ............................................70/90..............Destroyed..........Destroyed..........Destroyed
Falcon ..........................................Destroyed..........Destroyed..........Destroyed..........Destroyed
Falcon ..........................................Destroyed..........Destroyed..........Destroyed..........Destroyed

Almost all damage inflicted on the Falcons was from the Bolt Hurler.

-----

House Bifrost currently maintains seven shipyards with two more underconstruction. We consider this to be adequate to both supply the Navy with a sufficient number of Falcons and meet our own construction targets.

-----

Potential Class Name List
The following names are all real world common names or regional names for various falcon species. I have excluded names that are strongly connected to a geographical region (eg Madagascar Kestrel, New Zealand Falcon etc).

Brown Falcon
Grey Falcon
Black Falcon
Lanner Falcon
Peri-Lanner
Amur Falcon
Sooty Falcon
Prairie Falcon
Perigrine Falcon
Saker Falcon
Bat Falcon
Pallid Falcon
Red-Headed Merlin
Merlin Falcon
Stone Falcon
Little Falcon
Banded Kestrel
Fox Kestrel
Grey Kestrel
Rock Kestrel
Spotted Kestrel

-----

Potential Design Variants

Three variants of the design are immediately apparent. The first would be an armoured variant that exchanged one missile system for 10kt of armour. Testing has shown this design to have no significant advantage over the standard variant, as the reduced damage per turn results in a longer battle and allows the enemy more time to fire at the patrol ship.

The second would be to replace the heavy explosive missiles with light nuclear missiles. While giving the ship a greater punch per salvo, the reduced firing rate, seeker armour and inability to target fighters are negatives against this variant. The enemy vessels that are likely to be encountered would need to be considered on case by case basis when considering adding this variant to a construction queue.

Thirdly would be the replacement of the explosive missiles with light kinetic missiles. While useless as an independent patrol vessel this variant would instead be used in fleets of several standard Falcons, where it would reduce the vulnerablity of other Falcons to enemy missile fire.

SL Heimdall of House Bifrost (PBC IV)
Currently onboard command vessel BGS Resolution

Kana
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you SL Heimdall. I've was always meaning to post this. Due to his completeness, and good overall design, he was awarded the Patrol Ship contract. While this document helped, the strength of the design, and the testing of this design and the variants is probably what won him the contract in the end. Others can take note, for future contract submissions for naval designs, but this amount of detail is not required either.

FSL Kana/CNO F.W.S.N/FNS Brawler (PBC IV)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> House Bifrost All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: