This site is in archival mode. A replacement is being developed. In the meantime, please use the PBW2 Forums for community discussions. The replacement software for this site will use a unified account system with PBW2, and any newly created threads will carry over.
Welcome to Spaceempires.net
Login or Register

Search
Modules
· Content
· Downloads
· Forums
· Game Info
· Image Gallery
· Links
· Shipyards
· Topics
· Staff

User Info
· Welcome, Anonymous
Membership:
· New: Astorre
· New Today: 0
· New Yesterday: 0
· Overall: 3155

People Online:
· Visitors: 105
· Members: 0
· Total: 105

Spaceempires.net :: [DN5] Balancing Fighters :: View topic
Forum FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

[DN5] Balancing Fighters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> Dark Nova Mod
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bearclaw

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: [DN5] Balancing Fighters Reply with quote

Just looking for some suggestions/thoughts on how to deal with 'the fighter issue' in SEV for DN5.

In DN4, many more fighters sizes and items were added (though there is a serious balance issued with DN4.27) in an attempt to make fighters more useful. My intent was to make it so that fighters, though not nessesary, did provide another aspect of combat, as they should.

I want to still maintain that in DN5 but don't want to end up in the situation in Stock where if you are not using fighters, you are toast. Or at least, not using fighters exclusively. I'd like to see a situation where a combination fleet of ships (large and small) and fighters works best.

DN5 already has more sizes/types of fighters added. Zero-G Troops, Interceptors, Heavy Fighters, Deep Space Fighters (able to warp) and Battle Squadrons. I also plan on adding more PD weapons. DN4 had PD Lasers, PD Cannons, Flak Cannons, Interceptor Missiles and AutoCannon (fighter-mounted PD weapon). Some of these are already in SEV.

Thoughts/suggestions for what can be done to help equallize or just better utilize fighters and PD weapons?

More or less, this is what I have in mind now. My hope is that a combination of these on a ship would better balance fighters.
-Interceptor Missiles = slower reload anti-fighter seeker. Long Range, high dmg.
-PD Lasers = low dmg, short range, high ROF.
-Flak Cannons = very short range, high to-hit bonus, medium to high dmg.
-PD Cannons = same as stock (more or less) plus minimal mine sweep ability.
AutoCannons = very short range, low dmg, high ROF

DN4 also had a new fighter weapon called Assualt Rockets. VERY slow ROF, VERY high dmg but could only target ships/bases. Should these (adjusted) also be able to target fighters? (In case anyone was wondering, Assualt Rockets come from a Sci-Fi RPG called Star Frontiers that has been out of print since 1984.)

Nick (bearclaw)

"You don't know the Power of the Dark Side. I must obey my Master"

Sunnendei_Tinco
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well for one, you could always nix the damage fighter weapons do, and at the same time make them slightly easier to kill. That way not only do they do less damage to ships, but ships could destroy them easier. Alternatively you could combine the lessened damage dealt by fighter weapons with an emissive ability to regular ship armor, not much, but enough to only let 1 or 2 kt of damage in from fighter beam weapons. Or maybe make fighter hulls take increased damage from projectile weapons, and change the PD weapons to all being projectile in nature.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> Dark Nova Mod All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: