· New Today: 0
· New Yesterday: 1
· Overall: 3068

People Online:
· Visitors: 121
· Members: 0
· Total: 121

Spaceempires.net :: Space Empire 6 :: View topic
Forum FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Space Empire 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> SEV Spaceport
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kepper
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject: Space Empire 6 Reply with quote

Just imagin Space Empire VI it this picture Twisted Evil http://www.sinsofasolarempire.com/downloads.aspx

Praetorian_Dust
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't like Space Empires like that. Doesn't seem Space empiresy.

Sunnendei_Tinco
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Space Empires WON'T be like that ever (unless Aaron lives to be like 100, then, maybe).

SuicideJunkie
Leaky Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oy, I hope not!

Noble713
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would certainly appreciate improvements in the tactical combat engine*, but it is essential that the game retains the strategic engine that it has now. If it went to a straight-up space RTS I'd probably stop playing.

*Improved camera/viewing controls, 3d fighters and units (instead of sprites), and improved weapon effects. Right now I'd say the SE5 tactical engine is barely on Homeworld 1's level, and that game is ~9 years old.

Kepper
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunnendei_Tinco wrote:
Space Empires WON'T be like that ever (unless Aaron lives to be like 100, then, maybe).

Mabe if a fan of Space Empire donate 1/2 milhões euros to the compani,
Aaron will have money to creat a good engine for the Space Empire serie

Last edited by Kepper on Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Shektho
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homeworld 1's level? hardly. Homeworld almost never chuged on this computer. SEV chugs whenever I have too many ships selected. (and by too many, I mean 4 or more.)

Noble713
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was being generous...

More than graphical improvements, SE5 needs performance improvements. I don't expect a small developer to produce an engine like Medieval II: Total War's, but still, virtually everything in SE5 seems sluggish, and my system isn't exactly antiquated (P4 2.8GHz 1GB RAM w/ GeForce 6200GTS 256MB vid card).

Conan
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friends, "Sins of solar empire" its not one RTS game, in fact is a "4x" (as SE saga), but include one amazing engine for the tactical combats to style of Homeworld and more.

Well that is the promise of developers, i dont know if they accomplish or not ur goal, in few months we can see that.

Bye!!!

Praetorian_Dust
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much of a 4x game if it's real time. All the strategy is mostly lost because of that.

Kwayne
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice to see future SE games with the performance and combat system of Homeworld 1. Something like that would be not just fun, but practical considering speed and the difficulty of creating 3D shipsets.

Crissa
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here I was all going to whine because SEV is getting updated... And have you played with Starfury?

It's not far from space empires 5, honestly - the ship fighting is all displayed in 3d, merely the execution of the game doesn't involve 3d combat.

Models are getting easier and easier to build.
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Sculpted_Prims:_3d_Software_Guide

Maybe someday a tactical program would wish to buy or sell to the strategic of Space Empires - which is the part I love the most.

Aside from a better interface - it needs more options, more, I say! - which is just a matter of time as each display and window get more controls... My dream is a strategic game with orbital mechanics. (or at least pretending to have them) Yes, yes, I'm showing my aerospace university geekdom... But it's fun!

-Crissa

Sereg
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm - what are you all on crack? Seriously - the engine needs SERIOUS help. SEV looks fine- its issues are performance, AI, and over complexity.

In order for SEVI to overcome the issues the following would need to happen:

The AI needs to become a LOT more intelligent - it should make sensible treaty offers, expand in an intelligent way, and each empire should play differently. (Edit: By play differently, I mean the AI should play them differently- different strategies etc.)

The game also needs to be streamlined, made more user-friendly, and given some PERSONALITY - sometimes it feels like i'm playing a galactic spreadsheet instead of an empire. You should get popups when you research new technologies, with sound and AUDIO explinations of what they give you. Similarly there should be explinations for ruins, and other things found on planets (indeginous populations etc.), and there should be a LOT more events. Planet and ship design need complete overhauls, and the UI needs to be designed so that you dont need to spend your first week figuring it out.

On the performance end of things, the game should support MUCH larger maps, running at about the same performance level as the smallet ones do now- aaron has done alot in this respect in the recent patches, but not nearly enough.

Really what the game needs is more people working on it - Its not THAT expensive to hire guys to work on the AI for a few months -especially when it turns into more sales, and a more stable game.

Anyway thats my 2 cents.

Kana
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like someone plays too much Civ IV and Gal Civ 2. Apples and oranges.

Yet with the next expansion for Gal Civ 2, it will now be easily moddible. Now if they only had a multiplayer component.

FSL Kana/CNO F.W.S.N/FNS Brawler (PBC IV)

Sereg
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually have played a lot of Civ 4 - and it proves that even an old concept like a 4X game can still be viable with a fresh coat of paint- if they had released civ2 with better graphics they would be in the same bind as SEV. Don't get me wrong, SEV is a great game, it would just be a lot better if those issues were resolved. Its not apples and oranges-- more like Oranges and Tangerines - the insides are a little different but its basicly the same fruit.

And as for galciv 2 - it sucks - horribly - theres almost no real strategy, and if it wasnt for the fact that it was turn based, bares almost no resemblance to the rest of the genre- its unique for sure, but thats not always a good thing.

Andor
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh.

I don't play 4x games to Oooh and Ahh over the graphics. If it's good enough for me to tell what's happening then that's enough, the rest of the dev time can go towards the AI, UI, Tech tree, etc.

If it wasn't utterly impossible to run it on a modern system I'd happily be playing Master of Magic right now, and bugger the graphics. One of these days I'm going to build myself an AT just for that game. Confused

"Space, It seems to go on forever... but then you get to the end and a purple monkey starts throwing barrels at you." - Fry, Futurama

Andor
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sereg wrote:
And as for galciv 2 - it sucks - horribly - theres almost no real strategy, and if it wasnt for the fact that it was turn based, bares almost no resemblance to the rest of the genre- its unique for sure, but thats not always a good thing.

Yeah, I keep seeing GalCiv II mentioned in reviews of other games as though it were some holy grail of 4x games to which other games can only aspire. WTH? It's dirt simple and the tech tree is esentially Rock, Paper, Scissors I-XX. It's got no depth at all. If the want a basis for comparison for space based 4X games they should blow some dust off of their copy of Master of Orion 2.

"Space, It seems to go on forever... but then you get to the end and a purple monkey starts throwing barrels at you." - Fry, Futurama

Fyron
Galactic Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dosbox runs Master of Magic perfectly...

Smarter than your average Texrak.

Sunnendei_Tinco
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master of Magic runs fine on XP, haven't played for a long time, but I never had to use dosbox.

Sereg
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andor wrote:
Meh.

I don't play 4x games to Oooh and Ahh over the graphics. If it's good enough for me to tell what's happening then that's enough, the rest of the dev time can go towards the AI, UI, Tech tree, etc.

If it wasn't utterly impossible to run it on a modern system I'd happily be playing Master of Magic right now, and bugger the graphics. One of these days I'm going to build myself an AT just for that game. Confused

I'm not worried about the GRAPHICS - SEVs graphics engine (with minor improvements) should last for 5-8 years easy.

The problem with SEV was that so much time was spent on the graphics, and so little (from what I can see) was spent on the UI, AI, etc. The game also DESPRATLY needs to be made more intuitive.

The Tech tree is fine - it just needs to be made more user friendly - perhaps a few changes for simplicity sake.

SuicideJunkie
Leaky Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say the tech tree is really irrelevant, since it is trivial to mod into whatever you prefer, and shortly before release there will be good mods out for the game (assuming that it has a good UI).

I do agree that UI is critical to improve. It needs to be at least as good as SE4's, but preferably as good as SE3's

Carnak
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow sounds like the UI has been getting worse and worse. That's odd.

Sereg
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuicideJunkie wrote:
I'd say the tech tree is really irrelevant, since it is trivial to mod into whatever you prefer, and shortly before release there will be good mods out for the game (assuming that it has a good UI).

I do agree that UI is critical to improve. It needs to be at least as good as SE4's, but preferably as good as SE3's

Well your right and wrong about that. The Tech Tree is not trivial - its vital to the sales and thus viability of the franchise. The average player doesnt want to have to go find, download, and install a mod to enjoy a game. They just want to install and play - 0 hassles, and instant game time. That being said, you are correct when it comes to the more hard-core gamers in the genre. The Tech Tree is far less important than the UI for us, since we CAN simply modify a new one in.

But the real question is, why should we even have to have this discussion? ALL the elements of the game should be top quality. Granted Aaron has a low budget for doing all this. Even so, it would increase sales exponentially if the game actually worked the way it was supposed to out of the box Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> SEV Spaceport All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: