This site is in archival mode. A replacement is being developed. In the meantime, please use the PBW2 Forums for community discussions. The replacement software for this site will use a unified account system with PBW2, and any newly created threads will carry over.
Welcome to Spaceempires.net
Login or Register

Search
Modules
· Content
· Downloads
· Forums
· Game Info
· Image Gallery
· Links
· Shipyards
· Topics
· Staff

User Info
· Welcome, Anonymous
Membership:
· New: Tiregan
· New Today: 0
· New Yesterday: 0
· Overall: 3154

People Online:
· Visitors: 159
· Members: 0
· Total: 159

Spaceempires.net :: [DN5] Ship construction feedback :: View topic
Forum FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

[DN5] Ship construction feedback

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> Dark Nova Mod
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bearclaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:27 am    Post subject: [DN5] Ship construction feedback Reply with quote

I've been thinking about taking ship construction to another level with DN5 and wanted to hear from you guys if I'm on the right track or if I'm going overboard:

Ship construction for normal ship hulls will be much like DN4, research into Ship Construction will give new techs spliting each hull size into it's own tech.

I'm wondering if I did a similar thing with carriers, bases, transports, fighters, etc, if that is a good idea or just too much.

EG: Fighter tech 1 gives Orbital fighter tech. Fighter tech 2 will give Intercepter tech, Fighter 3 gives Heavy Fighter tech, Fighter tech 3 gives Battle squadron tech.

So for each type of hull you'd have a Main Tech to research which will give all the sub-techs for each hull type.

I guess what I'm trying to put into words is that each ship/unit would be a gridded tech. I like the idea because it opens up the options a whole lot more. But I'm concerned about overdoing it if that's possible.

Nick (bearclaw)

"You don't know the Power of the Dark Side. I must obey my Master"

ekolis
Virtual Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'd have to play the mod to be certain, but it sounds like a good idea - if you're willing to put the work into it that is! Wink

That's no space station - it's a spreadsheet!

bearclaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh definetly. My idea is that each (most) of the individual techs would have 10 levels, allowing someone to 'specialize' in say, frigates, pocket carriers and Intercepter fighters.

And you've played virtually every version of DN4 to date so I'd say your input is quite significant Smile

Thanks.

Nick (bearclaw)

Shrike
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gridded tech tree is ok in my book, but I guess it will need quite a bit of attention with regards to "what tech begets what other tech". i noticed a couple of tech "holes" in DN 4.27 which yielded no tech advances when researched, even when all technologies in the complete tech tree are exhausted. It will also be a challenge to balance it in terms of effort versus payoffs, but you knew that better than anyone already Wink

bearclaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, the balancing cost part will be a trial and error process. That achives 2 purposes, seems to work for me in figuring out the process and gets in more playing time Smile

If you've got a list of the tech holes, I'd love to have a copy to see if that needs correcting.

Nick (bearclaw)

Shrike
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Ack Reply with quote

Hmm, been a while now, but from the top of my head:
- Level 5 Religious Death Philosophy did not yield level 5 Temple of Death facility
- Level 2 or 3 in Biology yielded nothing as result
There were a few more but unfortunately I have no savegames that far back to check - researched 99% of tech tree in latest game :s

bearclaw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, I'll be checking into these for sure. Thanks.

99%! Wow.

Nick (bearclaw)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> Dark Nova Mod All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: