This site is in archival mode. A replacement is being developed. In the meantime, please use the PBW2 Forums for community discussions. The replacement software for this site will use a unified account system with PBW2, and any newly created threads will carry over.
Welcome to Spaceempires.net
Login or Register

Search
Modules
· Content
· Downloads
· Forums
· Game Info
· Image Gallery
· Links
· Shipyards
· Topics
· Staff

User Info
· Welcome, Anonymous
Membership:
· New: Astorre
· New Today: 0
· New Yesterday: 0
· Overall: 3155

People Online:
· Visitors: 134
· Members: 0
· Total: 134

Spaceempires.net :: Colonization :: View topic
Forum FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Colonization

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> Space Food Empires Mod
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptainKwok
Balance Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Colonization Reply with quote

What would you prefer?

Currently I have each major race having their own colonization area restricted by their racial trait - so that means no colony tech trading at all. The downside is that all colony module types cost the same for a race.

Or I could use a similar system to Adamant or Ekolis's colony tech mod, where each native type (rock, ice, gas) has their own colony techs - which prevents colony tech trading between say, a rock and an ice race, but not between rock races. This way allows for higher cost modules that aren't native to that race, such as more expensive ice and gas modules for a rock race.

Also, should I restrict colony modules to colony ships by mounts a la Adamant?

Space Empires Depot | SE:V Balance Mod

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colony ships being the only ones that can carry colony modules can be fun, but sometimes people want to build faster, larger colony ships, too.

I like Adamant's method of preventing colony tech trading, though. Yours would work, but really I think the call comes down to mod background on this one... what fits the Space Food Universe?

Fyron
Galactic Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is why you have a second or third larger class of colony ship hull. Wink

I prefer the lack of ability to trade starting colony "techs." The fact that you live on a rock world doesn't mean that you can just instantly without any effort tell a race that comes from a gas giant how to live on rock worlds... You might be able to help them and reduce research costs a bit, but it certainly wouldn't be free...

Smarter than your average Texrak.

CaptainKwok
Balance Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I had originally was the first option above but taken another step further with colonization modules for the major race's non-native atmosphere (based on Space Food Universe lore i.e. Pumpkins on Gas Giants etc) costing more. However, that limited player options when it came to playing that race as they'd be force to choice that planet type or else be at a disadvantage. Hence, why I made them cost the same.

The first system also prevents any trading of colonization technology at all. Is that a good or bad thing in general?

CaptainKwok
Balance Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've decided to stick with the current system for now and to see how it works out in a real game.

CaptainKwok
Balance Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ack!

I just realized that in my current system - colonization techs are completely tradable because they are not restricted by racial trait - only the components are. Duh.

Oh well, I guess I could make a tech area for each colonization type for each race...? Or I could just go with the tried and true Rock natives etc.

CaptainKwok
Balance Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some updates in the colonization area:

The colonization setup has been finalized with a system similar to Ed Kolis' colony tech mod with restrictions by racial traits.

A change in the next version will be with colony ships and colony modules. The modules will now require a mount to fit them on the colony ship, which was slightly resized. This means that colony modules can only be placed on colony ships.

The colony modules have been reduced in size (after using the mount) to 350kT. The basic colony ship is 490kT so there is some extra space for design flexibility. At least more so than the previous version (0.11) that had 400kT modules and 500kT ships. A more advanced colony ship hull (same size as basic) was also added and allows for a few more engines than the basic hull.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> Space Food Empires Mod All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: