This site is in archival mode. A replacement is being developed. In the meantime, please use the PBW2 Forums for community discussions. The replacement software for this site will use a unified account system with PBW2, and any newly created threads will carry over.
Welcome to Spaceempires.net
Login or Register

Search
Modules
· Content
· Downloads
· Forums
· Game Info
· Image Gallery
· Links
· Shipyards
· Topics
· Staff

User Info
· Welcome, Anonymous
Membership:
· New: Astorre
· New Today: 0
· New Yesterday: 0
· Overall: 3155

People Online:
· Visitors: 77
· Members: 0
· Total: 77

Spaceempires.net :: Narrative Interaction. :: View topic
Forum FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Narrative Interaction.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> SEG Spaceport
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:07 pm    Post subject: Narrative Interaction. Reply with quote

One of the aspects I most look forward to is that we shall all write narrative for events in our empires. I enjoy this but in the few cases it has happened the level of involvement tends to drop so that it is no fun. I was the only one posting stories for a game i'm in and stopped when it dawned on me that no one else posted stories and more than likely no-one was reading them.

I wish to open a discussion on some rules for our stories. We can write stories detailing what our own empires do, but I have always considered it forbidden to involve other peoples characters. It is natural that we plan and are attached to the characters we create and nothing would incite bitterness than when one of us captures and executes someone elses core character in one of their stories, or even worse portrays someone elses hero as a spineless coward in the face of their empire. We can stick to portraying events from our own perspectives, but it would add an extra element if there could be crossovers between empires. It may just be impossible to mix our egos together Very Happy but it might be interesting to try. For example, after a victory one empire may capture a character that someone else has placed in that vicinity. There could be groundrules forbidding portraying the captive in a manner not matching the personna portrayed by the original creator, and the opportunity could be to get across some description of the writers empires attitudes towards the opposing empire before releasing the hero in a benevolent gesture.

As I write this the complications inherent in such an approach dawn on me and I start to doubt if it is a realistic option, however I would like to at least present the option for discussion.

Fyron
Galactic Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cooperation/collaboration in story writing is one of the defining characteristics of a roleplaying community. Remember, Space Empires Galaxies is _not_ meant as a game of SE4 + roleplaying, it is meant as roleplaying, using a game of SE4 to define the background universe.

Smarter than your average Texrak.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm,

I never considered some of these things. I was going to have a broader narrative history, like a history book rather and an action novel. This way sounds much more involved and entertaining.

I am curious how these characters work. Are they units designs you name and build one of? Or do you just anotate "so ans so aboard" in a ship name?

I guess what I am asking is there a rule for this or just what ever we go with?

Fyron
Galactic Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can just assign them to a ship you have. No actual need for specialized components. As long as you don't do something like have a character appear all over the empire in a single turn, and keep it somewhat realistic (within the confines of the game), no need to worry about anything.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another "concern" I guess,

I understand that we want to continue the interaction of the empires for the entirety of the game, however long that is, but does that mean we constrict gameplay.

If we are all working on our own story lines do I have to act in accordance with their story, of if I want system A can I take it even if it wasn't what the other player wants for his role play?

Fyron
Galactic Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stories naturally have to adapt to in-game circumstances. As long as you are not roleplaying peace and brotherhood with race A when you invade their system, there is no confilct of interest. Just keep in mind that the goal is not "to win the game," it is "to roleplay." Total war (ie: eliminating entire empires) is discouraged.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I subjugate, force them into treaties, etc...

I know you can't elimintate players, but a good shallacking could make for a great bit of roll playing Wink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

occupation sounds like a good role play for players that got beat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> SEG Spaceport All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: