This site is in archival mode. A replacement is being developed. In the meantime, please use the PBW2 Forums for community discussions. The replacement software for this site will use a unified account system with PBW2, and any newly created threads will carry over.
Welcome to Spaceempires.net
Login or Register

Search
Modules
· Content
· Downloads
· Forums
· Game Info
· Image Gallery
· Links
· Shipyards
· Topics
· Staff

User Info
· Welcome, Anonymous
Membership:
· New: Astorre
· New Today: 0
· New Yesterday: 0
· Overall: 3155

People Online:
· Visitors: 122
· Members: 0
· Total: 122

Spaceempires.net :: Problem wth Missiles :: View topic
Forum FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Problem wth Missiles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> Gritty Galaxy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Normandy333
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Problem wth Missiles Reply with quote

Why can't I build missiles? I'm currently playing with all techs (because AI isn't implemented, and I'm in a lack of other human players, so I just use the space simulator), but I can't seem to put missiles onto my ships. The only missile I can see is the Light Kinetic Missile. I checked the components.txt file, and there doesn't seem to be any problem. I re-downloaded it, but it still doesn't work. How can I fix this problem?

EDIT: I found the problem, but it seems to be some sort of purposeful error preventing us from using seekers (they're godly powerful and it seems they can't be fired upon). Is this true?

SuicideJunkie
Leaky Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://imagemodserver.mine.nu/other/MM/SE5/Mods/GrittyGalaxy134.rar

- Fixed the missiles.
- Upgraded the missile descriptions to show exactly how many hitpoints and speed (which upgrade with techs)
- 50% more missile damage.

Unrelated changes:
- Larger ships and bases now available. Big enough that you could spend most of a game building a single instance of the biggest hull.

Note:
Max tech?
That probably throws things out of whack.
I suggest 250k or 1M starting points instead... enough to get some nice stuff, without going crazy.

Missiles can be targetted just fine.
You do need to use 20mm or 40mm guns, however.
The point defense grid component works well too. (You won't see the beams, since they fire every 10ms (or whatever the max is) but missiles will randomly "pop")

You can estimate the effectiveness of a PDgrid component:
200 range / seeker speed = time in range
time in range / fire rate = number of shots
number of shots / 100 = expected number of hits

(0.99 ^ #shots) = chance that you will completely miss all of them.

The chance that you will shoot down exactly N missiles in a volley is:
e^-L * L^N / N!

where e = 2.71828183
L = expected number of hits
N! = N factorial (N * (N-1) * (N-2) * ... *3 * 2 * 1)
And ^ means exponent.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> Gritty Galaxy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: