This site is in archival mode. A replacement is being developed. In the meantime, please use the PBW2 Forums for community discussions. The replacement software for this site will use a unified account system with PBW2, and any newly created threads will carry over.
Welcome to Spaceempires.net
Login or Register

Search
Modules
· Content
· Downloads
· Forums
· Game Info
· Image Gallery
· Links
· Shipyards
· Topics
· Staff

User Info
· Welcome, Anonymous
Membership:
· New: Astorre
· New Today: 0
· New Yesterday: 0
· Overall: 3155

People Online:
· Visitors: 156
· Members: 0
· Total: 156

Spaceempires.net :: starting levels :: View topic
Forum FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

starting levels

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> SF Star Wars Mod
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bearclaw

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: starting levels Reply with quote

I think, in order to further increase the range of components that can be purchased, we should have new characters start at a level greater than 1. Perhaps 5. The reason is that I'd like to see available component levels range further than +/-1 level. I'd like to have them in a range of +1 to -4 of the player's level. Problem is that the game can't handle if a generated component has a level less than 0. So, if starting level was 4 or 5 (and we can totally control what each level will mean to a character) then we can spread out the range of component levels.

Just an idea.

Nick (bearclaw)

"You don't know the Power of the Dark Side. I must obey my Master"

Fulgrymm
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it doesn't matter if the player doesn't get the points for those levels. Being able to beef up stats, especially repair abilities, would be an unfair advantage to have right from the get go.

bearclaw

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly!
I'm thinking that we could have some skill points as a form of customization for your character, but the repair abilities will be quite expensive.

Nick (bearclaw)

"You don't know the Power of the Dark Side. I must obey my Master"

Akula
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about assuming the "worst" and expect players to put all points into repair.
If it was put to something like 0,01 and each increase would give 0,01 (assuming it coul,d be put that low) even if players put all points in it it'll end up at 0,26 that's not very much
Also if you really want to cheat there's really no way to prevent it. Just make it like you want and assume players follow the spirit of the mod.

Overall I like this idea, it'll give a lot more components to start with, something starfury really lacked, and as all other NPC ships also start out at that level it'll not be unfair to anyone, if they started at 1 it would be

CapnKy
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's already been said that repair rates will be incredibly low, so that it will, in fact, be easier to carry spares and land on uninhabited planets to replace components. Wink

Unofficial Adamant 0.16.xx Bug Hunter

SuicideJunkie
Leaky Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Main_EnemyGroups.txt:
Group Enemy 1 Ship Level Plus := 1
I think the above will solve your issue.

But also consider, that +4 isn't all that much.
1) +4 components should be rare. Not only is there a 16% chance of any one component on sale being a +4, but only the biggest high tech shops near the core worlds would have +4. And be very overpriced, since it is bleeding edge tech in a big city environment.
Most of the seedy joints (like tatooine) you visit would probably have -1 to 0. All used parts. Overpriced, since if you are shopping for a starship drive on such a stinkball, they KNOW you're desperate Wink
Mediocre homeworlds could have -1 to +2 perhaps. Probably the best prices.

2) The level advantage continually erodes. And quite quickly in fact if you're fighting. As you level up, the enemies level up, but you keep the same components. You have to spend a lot of money to keep ahead, and you also have to find major planets to buy from.

3) Keep the differences between levels small. +4 should be noticable, but not turn the tide of the whole war like stock changes do. Level 1 should be about like stock level 10, so that a levelup is only a difference of 2% or so.

4) Not everybody will be flying around in +4 military gear. There should be lots of run down -1 used-parts freighters flying around, and tons of inermediate +1/+2 ships too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> SF Star Wars Mod All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: