This site is in archival mode. A replacement is being developed. In the meantime, please use the PBW2 Forums for community discussions. The replacement software for this site will use a unified account system with PBW2, and any newly created threads will carry over.
Welcome to Spaceempires.net
Login or Register

Search
Modules
· Content
· Downloads
· Forums
· Game Info
· Image Gallery
· Links
· Shipyards
· Topics
· Staff

User Info
· Welcome, Anonymous
Membership:
· New: Astorre
· New Today: 0
· New Yesterday: 0
· Overall: 3155

People Online:
· Visitors: 154
· Members: 0
· Total: 154

Spaceempires.net :: Re-arranging the monster tech...line. :: View topic
Forum FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Re-arranging the monster tech...line.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sivran
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject: Re-arranging the monster tech...line. Reply with quote

"Line." That's all it is right now. I propose to turn it into a tree, and re-arrange it as well to make it a bit more logical.

First, the whacky order of tech development should be addressed. I'd say "natural" weapons should be in the starting level. Things like tentacles, claws, and bites that are really just part of the monster's body. The claw and bite are powerful, so perhaps to begin splitting the tech "line" into a tech "tree" the starting level should also grant access to a "natural weapons" tech area that would increase the damage of claw and bite. The first (currently only) level of claw and bite should be nerfed to accomodate this increase.

Second, do you still read this forum much CW? Smile

Hm. Busy now.. more later when I get home maybe.

edit
Ok. More.

Now, with the natural weapons moved down, level 1's getting crowded. Monster beams and such should move up to level 2. Given that they're level 2 now, they should get a slight buff to damage, range, or both, considering that they will now take a while to research.

Level 2 should open up another tech area, this one for beam weapons. The bio-electric beam, and perhaps some new ones, should go into it at appropriate levels.

...Even better idea: Grid the monster techs! Start off with all the areas open, and then research as you see fit, with Evolution + Tech Area giving varying capabilities for the weapons.

Sorry for the unorganized braindump.. I'm at work atm...

bearclaw
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as how I'm currently getting my a** handed to me by a monster in one PBW game I probably shouldn't suggest anything at all Smile

But I haven't seen anything with regards to cybernetic monsters.

Just an idea.

Nick (bearclaw)

"You don't know the Power of the Dark Side. I must obey my Master"

sivran
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really proposing to make monsters any more powerful right now, just to make them more interesting. In fact I think the re-arrangement might actually make them less powerful early on. They would be lacking the long-range weapons they start with. The Monster Beam 1, combined with 300kt ships, makes monsters extremely powerful in the very early game. Any normals who get caught in the first 10-20 turns are doomed.

Cybernetic monsters huh? Like the Borg? I suppose they could be susceptible to the Computer Virus. Smile And they could have the unique ability (among monsters) to capture ships.

Traditional, organic monsters could get a radiation-type weapon that kills crew. Give Bridge/LS/CQ the security station ability and the radiation weapon the ability to destroy them. Make the weapon short range and give it several levels, so that it remains balanced as monsters and normals grow.

And CW, swap the pics for the Level 5 and 6 monsters! Razz

Combat_Wombat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I do read this forum, it is rarely posted in though. Interesting ideas

Co-Lead of the FrEee project an open-source Space Empires IV clone

Author of Invasion! for Space Empires IV

sivran
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should really get it all organized into one nice post instead of braindumping every once in a while...

sivran
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monster Evolution - - Levels: 6 - - Cost: 350k - - Starts at: 1
=======================================
Your standard evolutionary tech, currently in-game.
Monster Evo would retain certain must-have components, such as PD, Cloak, Yard, and Sensors, and hulls obviously.

Beams - - (undecided) - - Cost: 100k (proposed) - - Starts at: 1
=========================================
New area for strictly beam weapons. All non-biological/organic energy weapons would be here.
Gridded with Monster Evolution.
Components: Monster Beam, Hyper-Phased Energy Discharge

Natural Weapons - - (undecided) - - Cost: 90k (proposed) - - Starts at: 1
===============================================
New area for strictly "natural" weapons--body parts as weapons. Claws, bite, tentacles
Gridded with Monster Evolution.
Components: Claw, Bite, Tentacle, Spit-Out, Spiked Tentacle(new DF weapon), Spines(new, DF)

Organic techs - - (undecided) - - Cost: trait + tech cost - - Starts at: 0
=============================================
Added/Moved Monster components to the existing Organic trait.
Non-gridded. Monster-Unique components may be gridded to Monster Evo.
Components: Acid Spit, Poison Spit, Fire Breath, Ice Breath, Bio-Electric Beam, + Organic Weapons

Psychic - - (undecided) - - Cost: trait + tech chost - - Starts at: 0
==========================================
Added/Moved Monster components to the existing Psychic trait.
Components: Psychic Weapons, perhaps with an added crew-killer and/or more balanced component prices, which are of utmost importance for monsters. Allegiance Subverter would be allowed. Subverted ships would be considered to have their crews "driven insane" and/or under direct mind-control of a monster.

Robotic - - (undecided) - - Cost: 4000(trait)/100k(tech) - - Starts at: 0
Think drones gone wild. Automated sentries, drones, scouts, and warships left behind by some ancient empire. Self-sustaining, self-replicating, they continue to protect their makers' dead homeworlds, only something's gone wrong.. they're expanding their territory....
Robotic monsters would be disallowed the use of natural weapons, psychic, and organic techs. This may have to be a "gentlemen's agreement" sort of thing.
Components: Various beams, missiles, projectile weapons, assorted shields and armors, much like a normal race except unable to colonize nor capture worlds. A different flavor of the current monsters, if you will.

Cybernetic - - (undecided) - - Cost: 4000(trait)/100k(tech) - - Starts at: 0
New monster-only racial trait. Think Borg. These special monsters are slower to build things than their more traditional cousins (using either slower yards (preferred) or massively more expensive comps (would have to be balanced by higher production or will result in a gimpy, broke monster!)). They make up for it by having each ship be a force of nature in and of itself, and by capturing enemy vessels.

CapnKy
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sivran wrote:
Psychic - - (undecided) - - Cost: trait + tech chost - - Starts at: 0
==========================================
Added/Moved Monster components to the existing Psychic trait.
Components: Psychic Weapons, perhaps with an added crew-killer and/or more balanced component prices, which are of utmost importance for monsters. Allegiance Subverter would be allowed. Subverted ships would be considered to have their crews "driven insane" and/or under direct mind-control of a monster.

Reminds me of X-COM. Smile

Quote:
Robotic - - (undecided) - - Cost: 4000(trait)/100k(tech) - - Starts at: 0
Think drones gone wild. Automated sentries, drones, scouts, and warships left behind by some ancient empire. Self-sustaining, self-replicating, they continue to protect their makers' dead homeworlds, only something's gone wrong.. they're expanding their territory....
Robotic monsters would be disallowed the use of natural weapons, psychic, and organic techs. This may have to be a "gentlemen's agreement" sort of thing.
Components: Various beams, missiles, projectile weapons, assorted shields and armors, much like a normal race except unable to colonize nor capture worlds. A different flavor of the current monsters, if you will.

I can see these guys being fun. Essentially they'd be Expendable or whatever that trait is on CB. Huge production bonus, huge repair penalty.

Quote:
Cybernetic - - (undecided) - - Cost: 4000(trait)/100k(tech) - - Starts at: 0
New monster-only racial trait. Think Borg. These special monsters are slower to build things than their more traditional cousins (using either slower yards (preferred) or massively more expensive comps (would have to be balanced by higher production or will result in a gimpy, broke monster!)). They make up for it by having each ship be a force of nature in and of itself, and by capturing enemy vessels.

Higher cost = slower production anyway. Smile

Unofficial Adamant 0.16.xx Bug Hunter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> Invasion Mod All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: