This site is in archival mode. A replacement is being developed. In the meantime, please use the PBW2 Forums for community discussions. The replacement software for this site will use a unified account system with PBW2, and any newly created threads will carry over.
Welcome to Spaceempires.net
Login or Register

Search
Modules
· Content
· Downloads
· Forums
· Game Info
· Image Gallery
· Links
· Shipyards
· Topics
· Staff

User Info
· Welcome, Anonymous
Membership:
· New: Astorre
· New Today: 0
· New Yesterday: 0
· Overall: 3155

People Online:
· Visitors: 212
· Members: 0
· Total: 212

Spaceempires.net :: Did You Take Roleplaying Trait? :: View topic
Forum FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Did You Take Roleplaying Trait?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> Kyth's Adamant Roleplay
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Did you, or did you not?
Yes
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
No
66%
 66%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 6

CapnKy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:01 am    Post subject: Did You Take Roleplaying Trait? Reply with quote

Vote now. This is (vaguely) important.

Also, please say if you have a bad, or really bad starting place. Smile

(Note; only those playing the game should vote!)

Violist
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops. My start is OK, but should we decide to restart or something, I wouldn't object.

Violas aren't violins. Seriously. And yes, I have heard that viola joke before :/

douglas
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not take that trait, but it doesn't really matter. It's mainly for a very little bit of flavor, like having several different functionally identical life support components to represent different life support systems.

From what I know so far (not much), my start position is really bad. All 3 homeworlds crammed into one system, with no other planets in that system. I don't think my system is even supposed to have planets at all, as there's no star and the system description is "A star has begun the process of forming in this system". There is exactly one warp point from the system, which I am exploring this turn, and there is little hope of it branching out very much from there. My directions for expansion are definitely very limited, as my home system is in an extreme corner of the galaxy. I also have no maps of any systems other than my single home system. I will know a little bit more when the turn processes and my scout goes through the warp point.

Fyron
Galactic Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it one of the systems that is a bunch of asteroids and storms? Or one of those Gold systems with a fancy background?

Smarter than your average Texrak.

douglas
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No asteroids and no storms. Just a fancy background mostly filled with a large globe representing the protostar.

Fyron
Galactic Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrm... is this a really small galaxy or something? That isn't allowed as a starting system in my copy of 0.15.04.

Kyth, if you happen to end up restarting, make sure to delete the first system type from SystemTypes.txt, the "Stock Standard Systems" system. Otherwise the bizarre system placement algorithm will place a few on the map...

douglas
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just counted 62 systems, about 7.5 per player. The quadrant type listed on PBW is FQM Newborn, medium size.

Fyron
Galactic Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... it is possible that the number of "legal" systems was rather low then. Fun. Smile

douglas
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, uh, different quadrant type if we restart? Something with a bit fewer uninhabitable systems? I wouldn't object to a bit more room, too (larger quadrant size).

CapnKy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also started with all planets in one Sector, and Fyron, your "NOT TO BE USED IN GAME" sectors keep leaking through! I keep encountering them in offline games. Shocked

But, if your system is as you say, Doug, I think that's pretty dire. If we do restart, I might pick the Paradise type. Or just a sparse WPM.

Violist
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have all three planets in one system, and almost no other planets, but I'm nomadic, so if I can find an asteroid belt... Paradise is a little too good in my opinion, though.

Violas aren't violins. Seriously. And yes, I have heard that viola joke before :/

douglas
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, for all I know next turn I could be raving about my 5 new huge breathables I'm about to colonize in the next system over, but from what I know so far it's not a promising start.

I'm not particularly familiar with all the FQM quadrant types, but I don't think Paradise would unbalance things for anyone. If anything, I think Paradise would make for a fairer game because there would be fewer empty systems to randomly conspire together in a big clump around one start position to force a player to go far afield to find anything to colonize. As far as I know, it wouldn't even inconvenience nomads as there would still be plenty of systems with asteroid belts (which in FQM tend to be real belts with 10-15 fields in a ring even in normal systems), even if fully asteroid systems might be rarer. Regardless, I think Newborn probably has too much of an abundance of protostar and nebula systems with no planets or asteroids at all to make for a good game.

Edit: I just added up the numbers, and fully 71.3% of the systems in a Newborn quadrant are empty. With that and the size of the quadrant, I would expect about 2 usable systems per player in this game, which is far too low IMO.

Last edited by douglas on Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:56 pm; edited 2 times in total

CapnKy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paradise types are generally filled with relatively good worlds, though I haven't had much experience with them.

douglas
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continuing my statistics study from the edit in my previous post, Paradise quadrants have 86% usable systems. I don't know about everyone else, but I would much prefer having 7 or 8 useful systems per player to having mostly vast tracts of nothing with one or two players maybe getting lucky and actually getting multiple useful systems nearby.

I vote for a restart with a WPM Standard Paradise quadrant. Oh, and while we're at it, give us the Good homeworlds we were promised Razz.

Edit: Also, the majority of usable systems in Paradise do have rings of lots of asteroid fields, so Nomadic remote mining should have a field day along with everyone else colonizing everything in sight.

Fyron
Galactic Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always run SJ's map stats program (available on this site) and save yourself the bother.

CapnKy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you can see here, the differences are rather... large.

http://tinypic.com/view/?pic=k06903

Neutral

douglas
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, that's actually a somewhat smaller difference than I expected.

I started a test game in a Newborn galaxy with all systems seen, and it was not something I would want in a multiplayer game with random placement. There were a very few clumps of 3 or 4 good systems together, while other normal systems had a minimum of two nebulas to go through before getting to another system with planets. It's fine if you're lucky enough to start in one of the clumps, but it really sucks if you have to go through the two nebulas, especially with the slow speed of colony ships in Adamant.

With a Paradise quadrant, it was much less susceptible to extreme misfortune at the hands of the random start positions. Still a few nebulas and such here and there, but everyone could reliably expect to have a few decent systems to expand into close to home.

sivran
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took it!

I'm in a corner, but not right at the corner, just a couple jumps away. All my planets are in the same system, which fits the assumption I made on the first RP post. I think my start position is decent, but I haven't seen what's around me yet.

Fyron
Galactic Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that Adamant 0.16.xx dev version has speed 3 colony ships with low tech start and no special racial traits. Smile

CapnKy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fyron wrote:
Note that Adamant 0.16.xx dev version has speed 3 colony ships with low tech start and no special racial traits. Smile

Would 0.15.04v empire files be compatible with it, however? Razz

douglas
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

System number 2: "***Placeholder. Not to be used in-game.***" Completely empty except for two warp points, the nearest of them 10 movement points away. I definitely want a restart now, and you should delete that placeholder system from SystemTypes.txt before starting the new game.

Oh, and you forgot to copy the no intel setting from the first game when you created the second. If that was deliberate it could make a significant difference in some people's race setups, but I hope it was just an oversight. Intel could be a tad unfair for Pirates and Nomads, which I think have a hard time amassing many points to defend with.

CapnKy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Told ya, Fyron. Rolling Eyes

Ok, everyone sign up for the KAR #2 game and let's try again. <_<;

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> Kyth's Adamant Roleplay All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: