This site is in archival mode. A replacement is being developed. In the meantime, please use the PBW2 Forums for community discussions. The replacement software for this site will use a unified account system with PBW2, and any newly created threads will carry over.
Welcome to Spaceempires.net
Login or Register

Search
Modules
· Content
· Downloads
· Forums
· Game Info
· Image Gallery
· Links
· Shipyards
· Topics
· Staff

User Info
· Welcome, Anonymous
Membership:
· New: Astorre
· New Today: 0
· New Yesterday: 0
· Overall: 3155

People Online:
· Visitors: 175
· Members: 0
· Total: 175

Spaceempires.net :: Balance Mod v1.20 Alpha Available! :: View topic
Forum FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Balance Mod v1.20 Alpha Available!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptainKwok
Balance Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject: Balance Mod v1.20 Alpha Available! Reply with quote

Thanks for the patience. Had to resolve a few nibbling issues over the last couple of weeks, but it's here.

I've posted the previously described "beta" of Balance Mod v1.20 for download here:
http://www.captainkwok.net/balancemod.php

It's a little rough around the edges so that's why I relabeled it as an Alpha. All the new items have been updated along with the tech tree but not all of them have new images yet. The AI is mostly competent but hasn't been updated fully to all the new changes or strategies. Also note "small systems" are now default.

Please note you will not be able to use any of your saved empires, game setups, maps or saved games created with the Balance Mod v115+ series.

I will try not to break savegame compatibility between now and the official v1.20 release, but no promises. Razz

Space Empires Depot | SE:V Balance Mod

Loudo
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your hard work on this mod CaptainKwok! Smile

I noticed a couple bugs in the hour or so that I've spent playing so far, not sure where else to post them, so hopefully here will do for now:

- The Conservation Cultural Achievement is currently being granted by your Civics tech level.
- The Recreation tech is not advancing the Recreation Cultural Achievement (the requirement is currently for the "Recreation Services" tech)

Thanks again!

milleniumlance
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:11 am    Post subject: THX!!!! Reply with quote

Im starting a new game as i type Smile, grateful for all your hardwork

Loudo
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loudo wrote:
The Recreation tech is not advancing the Recreation Cultural Achievement (the requirement is currently for the "Recreation Services" tech)

This is also the case for the Environmental and Military Cultural Achievements, which require the "Environmental Studies" and "Military Training" techs respectively, which have been replaced by the "Environment" and "Military" techs.

CaptainKwok
Balance Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope I wasn't that sloppy with the other changes. Razz

Loudo
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it is an Alpha after all. Razz

A couple other things I noticed:
- Basic Sensors (Level 2) are only available once you research Sensors level 4 instead of level 2 like in the latest version of the Tech Chart (that I know of)
- The Sensors tech currently has a Maximum Level of 15, instead of 20 (again like in the Tech Chart)

I'm not sure if either of those are intentional, but the Maximum Level of the related components don't line up with that of the Sensors tech.

This is the version of the Tech Chart that I am looking at:
http://files.spaceempires.net/user/9/BalanceModv120TechChartPreviewIII.pdf

milleniumlance
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Bug report? Reply with quote

i dont know if you want us to post bug reports on this posting or not. but when auto creating carriers launch bays dont mount, and AI is super agressive with Intelligence attacks one attack killed 690 million. Loving the no-clipping in taskforces and fleets

CaptainKwok
Balance Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, please post bugs/comments in the forum. I don't have a lot of time on hand for the next few weeks, especially for play testing, so I appreciate as much feedback as possible.

Ozz
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noticed a couple of things while checking out the new shields:
- The new shield types don't do anything special since the damage types are still unchanged.
- You changed Shield Regenerators to normal shield type, so now they turn your shields into normal shields when you use them.

CaptainKwok
Balance Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I missed updating the skips shields/armor damage type for the new Null-Space Shields.

I think I'm going to scrap the individual Shield Regenerator component and just build in regeneration with the Shield Generator components. It fixes the problem of the Regenerator converting the shield points to another type, simplifies ship design and makes AI designs a bit easier to manage as well on the scripting side.

Too bad we couldn't have a hard code change about how mixed shield types are handled.

Damok666
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we still able to use the Genesis Map editor for v 1.20 and other shipsets so long as we make sure of the default path is changed for the AI Script?

Ozz
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptainKwok wrote:
I think I'm going to scrap the individual Shield Regenerator component and just build in regeneration with the Shield Generator components.

I guess that is the more AI friendly solution (the other being having different regenerator components).

Are Plasma Shields going to be just a weaker version of phased shields? Maybe with the build-in regeneration they could have a different regeneration speed, to make them unique?

CaptainKwok
Balance Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damok666 wrote:
Are we still able to use the Genesis Map editor for v 1.20 and other shipsets so long as we make sure of the default path is changed for the AI Script?

Others shipsets are fine with the change you suggest. I'm not sure about the Genesis map editor though. I'll try it out and see what happens.

CaptainKwok
Balance Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked the Genesis editor and it seems to work fine with the smaller systems of BM v120.

---

Quote:
Are Plasma Shields going to be just a weaker version of phased shields?

Plasma shields are essentially an addition to the Organic technology tree to give organic races some form of shields without resorting to the standard shield technology. They are intended to be a bit weaker than regular or phased shields, but require less research effort.

Zwo_Dvoongar
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great to see you're still working, Cap'n!

Just a (weak) suggestion on the regen comps: modwise, it'd be easy to make separate Shield Regenerators for each type of shield (all available without extra research). I can't say that's the way to go, however. It would entail some script work to get the AIs to use them - probably around one solid day of work for someone of my ability. The main problem would be the clutter, the addition of so more components to the design process.

Now why bother considering it? Fun is a matter of decisions. The more options one has, the more decisions one makes, and the more fun a game will tend to be. I would certainly miss the Shield Regenerator, if it should go away. The trade-offs of fast regen vs. high overall shield strength make the design process more interesting.

A road to avoid: one might be tempted to make two versions of the shield generators, with low and high regen rates. That creates just as much clutter and AI work, so it doesn't help much.

A VERY iffy attempt: try a formula in the Shield Regenerator's field for shield type, "getting" the best shield already installed, and using it. I very much doubt the game would accept a formula for that entry, and even if it does, it might not function properly. "Design_Has_Component_Type", and a few iif's should do the trick. High risk, but high reward.

Edit:
"Get_Design_Specific_Component_Count" would probably be better.

Artful_Bodger
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a few comments/observations after trying it out for a while:

1) Not sure WP bombardment works, filled a medium drone up with two & sent it against target planet with WP cargo, refused to attack.
Repeated same with similar design with normal missiles, went in OK.
AFAIK the weapon platform attack type only applies to ground combat.

2) General consistency with reporting cultural effects.
The abilites were re-written in the Planet Report-> Abilities-> Quadrant section.
I can't see any Abilities- xxx for military, happiness & biology attributes I've researched.

3) Original game researches Happiness to level 6, can go higher in this mod version, but does it have an effect?

4) Same comment for Troop weapons, research goes beyond L6, with no obvious effect.

5) Small Stealth Fighter armour, but no Small Scattering ?
I see the life support element has gone, now consistent with troop designs.
Small phased shields possible for fighters.

6) Base and WP weapon mounts are significantly more deadly than their shipborne equivalents.

7) I see the green and purple point defence icons for beam weapons have gone back to their original yellow.

Haven't got to the more exotic weapon missile options yet. Seems pretty solid.

Talassar
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly shamfully few comments Sad

Ok, here what I noticed.

1 - Temporal Space Yard module is available almost from the beginning of temporal tech instead of lvl 10 of tech.

2 - You can put both ordinary space yard and temporal one inside one hull. Is that intentional?

3 - Planets run out of raw materials surprisingly quickly. Way faster then in 1.19. It miiiigtht be becauseI activated facility building minister and it keeps updating my on planet buildings nonstop tho, so that's questionable.

4 - Drone control cores. There are 2 kinds - Computer core (10 kt) and combat Computer core (20 kt). My understanding was that you need eitherof that for schematics to be viable but it turned out the 10kt core is needed in any case. Was that intentional as well? Aso, any tip wether smaller one can controll drone warheads and such?

ekolis
Virtual Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think shield regenerators changed the type of your shields. If they do, why not just make them regenerate nullspace shields, and let the shield generators convert them to whatever type they generate?

Giving all shield generators regeneration ability will make boarding even more useless than it already is... Maybe shield generators should be limited to outer hull, or even armor slots, so they're a bit easier to take down once and for all?

That's no space station - it's a spreadsheet!

CaptainKwok
Balance Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the bug reports. I'll try and fix up most of the component/facility data entry ones and post them for download tomorrow.

---

Some good points about Shield Regenerators. I didn't even think about the boarding ramifications. It seems I was too hasty to potentially kick them out.

I'll have to run some trials to work out if I can confirm the Shield Regenerator shield type does modify the shield type and if so, if I can use vary the shield regeneration type based on shield generators present.

CaptainKwok
Balance Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talassar wrote:
Also, any tip whether smaller one can control drone warheads and such?

Yes, you can use the drone computer core with warheads. You'll need to use the combat version to use seeker or direct fires though.

The requirements thing is because I forgot to update the drone entries with the two control options. Smile

Talassar
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptainKwok wrote:
Talassar wrote:
Also, any tip whether smaller one can control drone warheads and such?

Yes, you can use the drone computer core with warheads. You'll need to use the combat version to use seeker or direct fires though.

The requirements thing is because I forgot to update the drone entries with the two control options. Smile

Cool, ty Smile

I'd like to make a request. Is it possible to include "System Capital" or smth class of planets? One that are suppose to have things like shipyard, supply depot, all the facilities with system-wide effect, etc?

Talassar
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, another detail.

Is it possible to set up preference to replace ordinady shipyard facility with temporal one when it comes to minister? Automaticaly replace old shipyards with temporal one and (maybe even more important) Stop building damn ordinary shipyards everywhere. Ministers keep building them on every damn planet Sad

ekolis
Virtual Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if you've since fixed this, but in a lot of BM-based mods I've played, the temporal Shield Accelerator is rather useless when compared to the Time Distortion Burst, unless you're specifically trying not to damage the ship's hull (i.e. boarding)... the damage/kT vs. shields is actually a bit less, even if it's cheaper and uses less supply! Perhaps you balanced it based on level 1 components, but keep in mind you'll have a level 4 or so TDB before you get a level 1 shield accelerator!

That's no space station - it's a spreadsheet!

CaptainKwok
Balance Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll increase Shield Accelerators to about 25% more damage against shields versus TDBs. Right now they are about equal in this respect. That should compensate for the fact they don't do any other damage and makes them significantly more effective versus regular shield depleters.

marhawkman
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, when I added inherent regen to (some) shields in Warp 10, I made a new damage type that specifically destroys shield COMPONENTS. It's racial tech of course, but several races get it. I set it to do normal damage to shields, skip armor, and have 100% internal damage. But also a requirement.
Code:
Internal Damage Percent                         := 100
Facility Damage Percent                         := 0
Population Amount Killed Per Damage Point       := 0
Crew Amount Killed Per Damage Point             := 0
Is Viral Weapon                                 := FALSE
Number Of Special Effects                       := 0
Number Of Requirements                          := 1
Requirements Evaluation Availability            := TRUE
Requirements Evaluation Allows Placement        := TRUE
Requirements Evaluation Allows Usage            := 1
Requirement 1 Description                       := Only destroys Shield Generator components.
Requirement 1 Formula                           := Does_Component_Have_Ability("Shield Generation")
Number Of Abilities                             := 0

It's seems like a logical step for "shield only" weapons.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> Balance Mod All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: