This site is in archival mode. A replacement is being developed. In the meantime, please use the PBW2 Forums for community discussions. The replacement software for this site will use a unified account system with PBW2, and any newly created threads will carry over.
Welcome to Spaceempires.net
Login or Register

Search
Modules
· Content
· Downloads
· Forums
· Game Info
· Image Gallery
· Links
· Shipyards
· Topics
· Staff

User Info
· Welcome, Anonymous
Membership:
· New: Astorre
· New Today: 0
· New Yesterday: 0
· Overall: 3155

People Online:
· Visitors: 193
· Members: 0
· Total: 193

Spaceempires.net :: Trouble getting SE4 to run reliably [win7] :: View topic
Forum FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Trouble getting SE4 to run reliably [win7]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> SEIV Spaceport
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pax
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:28 am    Post subject: Trouble getting SE4 to run reliably [win7] Reply with quote

Herllo, folks - LTNS, for those rare few who might remember me from ... oh, lord, way WAY back! Very Happy

So, anyway ... this is supremely annoying. Whether I use a mod or not, and regardless of which mod I use ... at some random point, when I've got a build-queue or ship-design window open, the game locks up. I can't confirm, cancel, or otherwise exit that window.

I'm using the Steam version of SE4 (couldn't find my old disks and CD keys, so ::shrug:: bought the games again, ha!), and I've been trying to use compatibility settings (I've tried XP SP3, and XP SP2, both to no avail).

Is there something I'm missing? Some trick I just don't know about? Any help would be greatly appreciated ...!

-- Sean

Like Xbox, Playstation, or Nintendo console games? Rent them online from Gamefly (and help me get free stuff) ...

Combat_Wombat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been running se4 in windows 7 64-bit for years with no issues like this. I would be inclined to attribute this to a problem specific to your computer.

Co-Lead of the FrEee project an open-source Space Empires IV clone

Author of Invasion! for Space Empires IV

Pax
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrm.

That's not encouraging ... because the only thing the Event Viewer has to say is, that the exe "stopped interacting with Windows".

So, my efforts to fix this are ... not making progress. Darnit.

-- Sean

Like Xbox, Playstation, or Nintendo console games? Rent them online from Gamefly (and help me get free stuff) ...

Pax
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, I figured it out!

AMD has a program, RAPTR, that runs in the background, doing ... I'm not sure what, honestly. But I've had it interfere with the operation of other games in the past ... so I tried disabling it. Multiple hours of smooth sailing in SE4 was the result.

Stupid RAPTR program. >_<

-- Sean

willyb1963
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Googled "raptr".
It's an online gaming app that's supposed to be an optional download.
AMD appears to like it a lot, and may have installed it "for" you.

Trade accepted. Please come again.
Coffee's always on.

Pax
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I know it did. And I do like some of what it does - knowing better than I do how to optimize graphic settings for many games, for example.

However, I do NOT like how it fails to play nicely with certain games.

-- Sean

ekolis
Virtual Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps there's a setting you can use to tell it to not try to optimize certain games, like SE4?

That's no space station - it's a spreadsheet!

Pax
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekolis wrote:
Perhaps there's a setting you can use to tell it to not try to optimize certain games, like SE4?

It's not just an optimizer; it also has an overlay, so you can live-stream games, record them for later, and similar.

Basically, to play SE4, the whole application has to be terminated first.

-- Sean

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> SEIV Spaceport All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: