This site is in archival mode. A replacement is being developed. In the meantime, please use the PBW2 Forums for community discussions. The replacement software for this site will use a unified account system with PBW2, and any newly created threads will carry over.
Welcome to Spaceempires.net
Login or Register

Search
Modules
· Content
· Downloads
· Forums
· Game Info
· Image Gallery
· Links
· Shipyards
· Topics
· Staff

User Info
· Welcome, Anonymous
Membership:
· New: Astorre
· New Today: 0
· New Yesterday: 0
· Overall: 3155

People Online:
· Visitors: 83
· Members: 0
· Total: 83

Spaceempires.net :: NON-SPOILER Thread on the Space Empires at War Mod :: View topic
Forum FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

NON-SPOILER Thread on the Space Empires at War Mod
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> SEV Modding Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zwo_Dvoongar
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: NON-SPOILER Thread on the Space Empires at War Mod Reply with quote

It's difficult to explain, but surprises are entertaining. The purpose of this thread is to provide some general ideas about the Space Empires at War Mod without giving away the surprises which lie in store.

For discussion of aspects of the mod which might be "a nice surprise" for new players, please go to the twin thread. This isn't the place to discuss bugs or balance issues. Only general impressions are appropriate here.

The "Spoiler" thread is here:

http://www.spaceempires.net/ftopict-10150.html

The SEAW Mod is available at this link:

(new) http://www.mediafire.com/download/ytmj4rbm7d9m6fb/SEAW_098b.7z

(old, in case anyone wonders) http://www.filehosting.org/file/details/458723/SEAW098.7z

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A small update has been issued:

https://www.mediafire.com/?6jrll3ynvperg55

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

So, what is SEAW about? Space Empires at War is a mod inspired by the SFC game "Empires at War". There are six Trekcivs: Gorn, Romulan, Hydran, Starfleet, Klingon, and Borg. Each has its own special techs, and ships, advantages and disadvantages. Non-Trekcivs may be slightly weaker, but not by enough to notice half of the time.

He who has experience with EAW should feel right at home. It is possible, with experience, to play not so much for conquest but rather with the goal of maintaining your own private Dynaverse. Eventually enemies can be ground down, but there's no big hurry; building ships and challenging enemies can be a lot of fun regardless of the "big picture" strategic situation.

Of course that's not for beginners. The first game or five may be struggles for survival. The economy is very, very tight in SEAW. It takes some getting-used-to. I had bankruptcies my first two games myself, and I programmed the stuff. A couple of (test) games back, I got too cocky and again had production shut down due to lack of resources.

There's a "learning curve" for SEAW, and it isn't going to be easy on new players. It's not so terrible in the end, and the results are going to be worth it for some.

Why all the difficulty? The exploration era lasts much longer. Colonization takes much longer. The galaxy doesn't fill up so soon. This gives the game the type of Trek "feel" I prefer. The individual ship can be a factor quite long into the game. Fleets will eventually come to dominate, one supposes, but even testing 25 years in there were individual (large) ships contributing.

The different Trekcivs give scope for a variety of playing styles and strategies. The Hydrans, for example, are going to involve fighters in nearly everything they do. There may be some question of the extent, but where there are Hydrans, there will be at least some fighters. This might not be your cup-of-tea. It really isn't my own very much. Still, I had a test game as Hydrans and it was fun in spite of the logistical headaches.

Those who know SFC will have some expectations met. Klingons have fast, maneuverable ships? Check! Gorn ships are sluggish and tough? Check! The Feds... oh - wait - this is the "no spoiler" thread. What am I thinking?

Research in SEAW is worth mentioning. There is always going to be some "tech racing", but it only goes so far in SEAW. As more Research facilities are built, their output declines. More facilities will always produce more points, but not as many more. There is no longer any chance of a runaway effect where a tech advantage could be compounded. Those who are ahead will simply be ahead; those who are behind are behind, but not automatically doomed to fall further and further behind.

"Golden Eras" may come into play also. They can be selected at the start of play, at the cost of "racial points". The "Golden Eras" occur during certain pentades, which run as follows:

Immediate - year 2 to year 7
Early - year 7 to year 12
Middle - year 12 to year 17
Late - year 17 to year 22

Golden Eras are available for Farming, Refining, Mining, Research, and Spying. The later the choice, the larger the bonus.

...And before you ask, the "Golden Eras" have been tested and they work. The "Late Golden Era of Science" is pretty sweet if you can hold out until it kicks in.

It has been the policy in SEAW to ensure the AIs use everything. "If it's in the game, it's in the AI." This is not to say the AIs will make optimal use of everything, or even use things intelligently. They will sometimes use things foolishly. But they should be using everything at least a little. (Cloaking is an exception - they'll equip cloak, but it is believed impossible to get the AI to actually issue the cloak command. ...But if I figured out how, I wouldn't tell you here, in the non-spoiler thread. I might not tell at all!)

Autocomplete doesn't work well in SEAW, depending on a few factors. If you are playing a Trekciv, the autocomplete won't know about your weapons, since it works off the "Default AI". It sometimes does okay with freighters and such, but for warships it's useless. Sometimes the designs it produces aren't even legal, and need to be altered. Plan on doing your own design work in SEAW.

"Mixing and matching" won't work in SEAW. Taking the Borg Assimilated Technology along with Saucer Sectioning, for example, would be disastrous, resulting in a totally unplayable empire. The issue is this: there are not only additions which come with a Trekciv "racial trait", but also restrictions. Mixing is likely to restrict a player to death. If you're going to play Gorn, play Gorn; if you're going to play Romulan, play Romulan.

Now that may be somewhat of a bummer. For those who prefer to mix things up a little bit, there is a "General Trek" tech available. It includes several of the common weapons - it's a lot like what the Orions would have if they were in the game. Even non-Trekciv empires can take it and research Phasers, for example.

Each Trekciv has a Shiptech and a non-ship-tech, except the Borg. The Borg have two non-ship-techs. Researching the low levels pays off well, but beyond that, discretion should be employed. The research points might be better used elsewhere. Not all of the toys and goodies are going to be especially useful. Level one & two, sometimes three, might be needed to get the ball rolling; beyond that, the Trekciv techs have mixed results: some things are useful, and some are just luxuries you better hope you can afford.

Even the Trekcivs start with CSM and DUC, and players should not hesitate to use them. Other SE weapon techs have been removed from their tech trees, but those were left in for balance. Trekciv weapons may not be able to "cover all the bases" in the early game, especially if the player is new and hasn't learned how to get the most out of them.

The Red Alert Mod is fully incorporated into SEAW, and the default strategies are Dvoongar's Doctrines. Players will still do well to at least tweak some of the strats. Between games, it's good to re-shuffle the numbered strats for the AIs also. (The "Default" Empire file is where they're found - just edit the file names to give them different numbers, and they'll thus be assigned to different AIs.)

------------------

HONCHOS DO NOT WORK

Players are advised not to research and build Honcho units. They do not function properly; they have been left in the game for purposes of experimentation, on slim hopes there may be some way to fix them. Those who decide to experiment with Honchos may report results in the "Spoiler" thread.

Other Bugs:

0.98 version Borg are unplayable.

0.98 is incomplete AI-wise: only Starfleet and Klingon AIs are working.

AI unit designs still come out sometimes without any weapons. This is a leftover issue from Balance Mod. Two serious attempts were made to fix it, and I have no idea how the AI still manages to design weaponless units. I reduced the frequency of such flawed designs a little, but I cannot eliminate it.

0.98 has some invisible & wrong weapons effects. "Can I get a witness?" I can fix this, but it shouldn't be happening at all. The file lists correct numbers for the weapon effects, but the game is refusing to use them. After others testify, and help find all of these, I plan to correct the issue by using duplicate numbers of effects that work properly. (Remind me to say more on this in the companion "Spoiler" thread, if I forget.)

AI friendlyness is just a little excessive. I'm gradually making them less and less friendly, but I don't think I'm quite there yet. That part of the scripts is difficult, and I don't fully understand everything.

-------------------

Bugs, as well as any comments concerning specific hulls, weapons, components, or other elements which might come as a pleasing surprise to a new player should only be mentioned in the "Spoiler" thread. Now it may be the case that someone desiring not to see any spoiler information would like to report or discuss something. Here's what can be done: go to that thread and post; then only read the response to your own post.

--------------

Further edit:

The nature of the posts that follow is such that one could get the impression there are serious issues with the SEAW Mod. This is not the case. What a player needs to do is very carefully follow the instructions in the read-me. There is a reason it is labeled "Must Know First". Putting empires into the "Empire" folder, and the little extra procedure (due to a problem in the SE5 code - not the mod) for loading saved games are both explained.

Last edited by Zwo_Dvoongar on Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:04 am; edited 5 times in total

Artful_Bodger
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you make the download available on this platform?
I ain't giving that spamsite my e-mail address.

Zwo_Dvoongar
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artful_Bodger wrote:
Can you make the download available on this platform?
I ain't giving that spamsite my e-mail address.

It won't go here because it's too big. I wouldn't mind using another site if someone can suggest something.

I have a couple of throwaway gmail accounts I use myself. Wait a minute...

I can get the thing to give me a one-shot link at my gmail. If there's no time limit, you could use it instead of me.

Try this:

http://www.filehosting.org/file/details/458723/6AvJ5Gi5uNzlcNjA/SEAW098.7z

(Nobody else use it, now.) If there's a time limit, it may go stale.

Zwo_Dvoongar
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, there are a few things that could be a little confusing.

Dreadnoughts and Battleships are the other way around in EAW. You need to watch the context when you see either "DN" or "BB". The mod uses the SE system. If you have a Legacy hull called "BB", it will be a DN in SE, or if you have a Legacy hull called "DN", it will be a BB in SE.

Colony ships don't grow as "Light Hull Construction" is researched. Instead, players need to research "Pioneering Technology".

The production of Research Centers is variable; as more are built, the numbers go down. Don't just assume the readout is what you'll always be getting. Instead, if you want to know what they're doing, you need to monitor as you build, by r-clicking on the facility menu.

The regular sensors have an extra feature in SEAW, which allows the scanning of innards, if your ship is right on top of the target (unless it has a jammer). Anyhow, some of the Legacy hulls have built-in sensors. What's tricky: most or all of the built-in sensors lack the ability to scan innards. So if you get in the habit of checking ships when you're close, you may be disappointed. You need the actual component.

When you see a figure for an experience point bonus (straight), it'll be off. That's a bug in the game - not the mod. The percentage-based bonuses don't seem to have the same problem. I think they work as advertized.

Research components have a similar bug. They deliver more points than the amount advertized. You can check the shiplist (production) to find out what's actually going on.

OH! This is not really a "spoiler": remote mining components don't use up supplies in SEAW. Design and deploy accordingly.

Also, the restriction on refits has been eased considerably. You can refit to a new design just over twice the cost of the old design in SEAW. Don't be afraid to embark on a 5-year mission of exploration; you'll be able to upgrade when you return.

Editing to add:

The tech tree's been re-arranged, and some things now have more than one requirement. If you're in the habit of hovering the mouse over a tech to see what it'll get you, the display could be a little misleading. The picture will be blank if you don't already meet all other requirements. Sometimes it pays to research a tech, even if the display promises nothing.

Last edited by Zwo_Dvoongar on Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Artful_Bodger
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The site tries to force install an adobe_flash_setup.exe (it sure ain't from adobe)- sends my anti-virus nuts.

EDIT:: The download broke 1/3 in. Looks like this ain't gong to work for me sorry.

What's the top size for files here 100MB?

Perhaps the site admin can up your allowance for this file?

Otherwise you could split it into two parts e.g. one 7z file with the ..mod/../Empires directory in it and the remainder in another .7z without. You then merge them at the other end.

Zwo_Dvoongar
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artful_Bodger wrote:
The site tries to force install an adobe_flash_setup.exe (it sure ain't from adobe)- sends my anti-virus nuts.

EDIT:: The download broke 1/3 in. Looks like this ain't gong to work for me sorry.

What's the top size for files here 100MB?

Perhaps the site admin can up your allowance for this file?

Otherwise you could split it into two parts e.g. one 7z file with the ..mod/../Empires directory in it and the remainder in another .7z without. You then merge them at the other end.

Well, I didn't know about that stuff. Limit here is 10MB on some files & I think 30MB on others. No chance I can squish it down that small. I'll have to find some other hosting site. I guess nothing's ever easy.

Zwo_Dvoongar
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I uploaded to another site.

http://www.filedropper.com/seaw098

The link didn't work right when I tested it, but that's not 100%. I've had a lot of files refuse to go with the default gadget. I guess we'll see...

marhawkman
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you try mediafire?

Zwo_Dvoongar
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marhawkman wrote:
did you try mediafire?

Thanks for the suggestion!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ytmj4rbm7d9m6fb/SEAW_098b.7z

Now if that works, I'll edit the first post, and save people trouble.

Artful_Bodger
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The media fire link downloaded OK for me. Smile

Of course now there is the non trivial game start process to understand.

Every one else -- that readme.first file IS mandatory.
Load & quick start does not function.

Zwo_Dvoongar
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artful_Bodger wrote:
The media fire link downloaded OK for me. Smile

Hurray!

Quote:
Of course now there is the non trivial game start process to understand.

Every one else -- that readme.first file IS mandatory.
Load & quick start does not function.

Very true. Explaining things hasn't been trivial either.

The mod is a bit of a chore to get up & running, not even counting the optional between-game maintenance. I suppose the question of whether or not it's worth the time and effort will be appropriate for this thread.

Artful_Bodger
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st attempt failed horribly, putting the SEAW_098b directory into game types dies 1st try - it cant'see the mod_definitions.txt file.

Hmm...
there is a subdirectory called SEAW 2 Trekcivs Added Mod ()looks same structure as a BM varient) put that into game type, it was happy to start.

Did a full start, began to fill in empire details, mostly happy until it wouldn't display ship types, so failed to start as I couldn't select one.

I'm guessing that the directory structure of the download isn't standard.

It should look exactly like BM or CCmod.

Or have I done something utterly stupid?

Zwo_Dvoongar
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artful_Bodger wrote:
1st attempt failed horribly, putting the SEAW_098b directory into game types dies 1st try - it cant'see the mod_definitions.txt file.

Hmm...
there is a subdirectory called SEAW 2 Trekcivs Added Mod ()looks same structure as a BM varient) put that into game type, it was happy to start.

Did a full start, began to fill in empire details, mostly happy until it wouldn't display ship types, so failed to start as I couldn't select one.

I'm guessing that the directory structure of the download isn't standard.

It should look exactly like BM or CCmod.

Or have I done something utterly stupid?

Okay, I know what happened.

You need to choose empires and copy their folders into the "Empires" folder. You'll find them in an adjacent folder called "Empires not in use". I'll edit in an explanation.

Editing:

It is fairly important to have the Trekcivs included in play. By taking control of the number, and which specific empires are available, you eliminate the risk of the random choice omitting to include the Trekcivs.

The Must Know First file wrote:
Set-up is critical to having a fun game, so don't rush. There is no "quick start".

Before even firing up the game, look into the mod's empire folder. There you will find some empire files, and next door is another folder for empires not in use. Make sure all the empires you want in your game are available directly in the "Empires" folder, and no others.

The number of major empires you'll want depends on the game setting you intend to use.

Major players Low 7
Major players Medium 9
Major players High 13

Minor Players Low 3
Minor Players Medium 5
Minor players High 6

Random minor empires aren't recommended, but you can include them if you like. Even if you don't plan to have them in your game, the minors can remain available. The reason for hassling with this concerns the major players: you want the Trekcivs to be in the game, and the fewer extra choices there are during random selection, the lower the odds they will be omitted. Who wants to play 15 years into a game, only to discover the only Trekcivs in play are the Gorn and the Hydrans?

That is poorly-worded in one respect: the folder containing all empires is not inside, but rather right next to the "Empires" folder. Sorry.

What you need to do is calculate how many empires you'll have in your game, and then make sure the correct amount is in the "Empires" folder. This way, there'll be no chance for the game to exclude the Klingons, if you desire Klingons to be in play.

Further edit:

When you unzip and dig into the package...

"SEAW 2 Trekcivs Added Mod" goes in "Game Types"

"Maps" - (optional but highly recommended) the contents are to be copied into your "Maps" folder.

"Recommendations" and "Must Know First" are for players to read. The latter is an attempt to explain how to install the mod.

Additionally, the mod's "Empires" folder comes empty and players need to manually fill it in with the empires they desire to be included in the game. All available empires can be found in the "Empires not in use" folder. Copy them from there, and the game will be able to find them.

Last edited by Zwo_Dvoongar on Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:58 am; edited 1 time in total

Fyron
Galactic Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zwo_Dvoongar wrote:
Limit here is 10MB on some files & I think 30MB on others. No chance I can squish it down that small. I'll have to find some other hosting site. I guess nothing's ever easy.

The upload limit on this site is 100MB.

Smarter than your average Texrak.

Zwo_Dvoongar
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEAW doesn't just have a simple read-me file. There's a folder full of information, beyond that which is needed to simply start up and play.

One thing I included was an explanation: Why another Trek mod? For the benefit of those who may not have read that part, I'll explain again.

Any Jackie Chan fan can enjoy "The Drunken Master" ...BOTH versions. Seeing and enjoying one will in no way detract from the experience when one views the other. They are different interpretations of the Fei Hung legends, and each stands on its own merit.

So here, we have two interpretations of Trek. The Warp Ten Mod is excellent. In case anyone missed it, I'm an huge fan, and I am the author of "Warp Ten Trek".

http://www.spaceempires.net/ftopict-9143.html

I am also an EAW player, and I consider that game to have been a most entertaining Trek-based game. The EAW universe is somewhat different from TV Trek. There were 6 civilizations in the original SFC (not counting the OPs), and two more were added in EAW. SEAW, drawing primarily from EAW, is more indirectly Trekkish. It's not about a vast galaxy full of aliens, but rather more about the major empires.

Recall the number of Trek shows, and their imaginary timespan, and it'll help in understanding and contrasting the differences. W10 has rapid growth, a vast array of civilizations from Treklore, and huge fleets. SEAW has slow growth, few civilizations, and for quite a long time the focus is on individual ships, squadrons, and smaller fleets. A W10 game soon has the feel of Trek's TNG era, while SEAW lingers in the TOS and intermediate eras for the longest time (you can eventually get to the TNG era, but how long it takes!)

SEAW is a "Cruiser-based" game. SEAW posits the Cruiser as the optimal hull size for maintenance purposes; other sizes tend to be more expensive to maintain. There are exceptions. Some Legacy hulls are inexpensive, and some are very expensive. Even with the exceptions, their size was factored in. The closer to Cruiser-sized a given hull is, the less it costs to maintain ...and then special features get factored in.

So... Frigates are costly; Destroyers are a little better; and Light Cruisers not much more costly than Cruisers, since they are very close in size. Hulls larger than Cruisers increase in cost considerably, although perhaps not enough to keep pace with SFC lore.

Zwo_Dvoongar
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fyron wrote:
Zwo_Dvoongar wrote:
Limit here is 10MB on some files & I think 30MB on others. No chance I can squish it down that small. I'll have to find some other hosting site. I guess nothing's ever easy.

My bad.

Goodness, that's so close! Thing's at 106MB, and I don't think I can shrink it without breaking it up.

When/if I get the rest of the AIs done, I'll try. I suppose I could take the maps out, and maybe look for redundant graphics.

Thanks as ever, Fyron, for all you do. If you have a mild interest in this mod, I recommend you wait & see if I can't get it completed before you bother with it. If your interest is more intense, you're welcome to get right after it.

As for myself, my last 4 or 5 test games have been so addictive they've held up progress.

Artful_Bodger
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK
setting up the Empires folder was what was needed.
Trying it out now.

If you issue the maps subdirectory as a supplement to the main mod for the next release does that get you < 100 MB?

marhawkman
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fyron wrote:
Zwo_Dvoongar wrote:

Any ideas on how to setup the latest Warp 10 release? http://www.mediafire.com/download/ymb8c8ufsbd17g3/WarpTen2.3.1.7z
it's almost 3 times that size. O_O'

Zwo_Dvoongar
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artful_Bodger wrote:
OK
setting up the Empires folder was what was needed.
Trying it out now.

If you issue the maps subdirectory as a supplement to the main mod for the next release does that get you < 100 MB?

I was almost afraid to test it, but yes, it turns out 87,510K. That leaves a little breathing room, even.

Artful_Bodger
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this version supposed to support loading of saved games?
I tried to save & load, but it won't do it.
It will save & load a game set up and a defined empire. Once the actions starts, it will let you save, but it can't load it back again.

Those Honchos seem to half work. If they are on a planet, the attributes kick in, ship borne - nada. You might get around this by having an 'officers quarters' accomodation/life support element where you can pin the ship attribites (can't move it between ships though).

marhawkman
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the save failure issue... that's been brought up before.. I think it has something to do with whether the game attempts to compress the save file.

Artful_Bodger
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I researched the stellar harnessing tech to max and a JPE Engine component appeared. I was not able to research JPE's directly.
Once I'd got to L3 of technobabble JPE research appeared, 1st level giving an l2 engine. I suspect you meant to gate JPE research requiring both Stellar harnessing & TBBle 3. Was it's early appearance an error?

Zwo_Dvoongar
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artful_Bodger wrote:
Is this version supposed to support loading of saved games?
I tried to save & load, but it won't do it.
It will save & load a game set up and a defined empire. Once the actions starts, it will let you save, but it can't load it back again.

Those Honchos seem to half work. If they are on a planet, the attributes kick in, ship borne - nada. You might get around this by having an 'officers quarters' accomodation/life support element where you can pin the ship attribites (can't move it between ships though).

Saving should be no problem. Loading doesn't work straight.

In order to load a game, you need to first get the mod's data to load. Fake like you're going to start a new game (of SEAW, naturally), but cancel when the screen comes up. Before the screen comes up, you'll see the bar go across as it loads the mod. After canceling the new game, you can load up your SEAW save.

Last edited by Zwo_Dvoongar on Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total

Zwo_Dvoongar
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artful_Bodger wrote:
I researched the stellar harnessing tech to max and a JPE Engine component appeared. I was not able to research JPE's directly.
Once I'd got to L3 of technobabble JPE research appeared, 1st level giving an l2 engine. I suspect you meant to gate JPE research requiring both Stellar harnessing & TBBle 3. Was it's early appearance an error?

Tech tree issues (and most bugs) should be discussed in the "Spoiler" thread. I'll respond there.

Zwo_Dvoongar
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artful_Bodger wrote:

For those toying with Honchos, I suppose I should mention that they can be loaded onto any ship (almost).

What I did was give the crew quarters just a little cargo capacity. A ship with a Master Computer wouldn't do, and if you really, really researched Honchos deep, until you could build a great big fat Honcho*, he might not fit on Frigates because they wouldn't have enough Crew Quarter cargo space. Who wants to waste an Honcho on a Frigate anyhow, right?

* The Honcho unit doesn't just exactly represent one man. It's an abstraction. It also represents members of his team, and/or the training he got from his mentors.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> SEV Modding Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: