This site is in archival mode. A replacement is being developed. In the meantime, please use the PBW2 Forums for community discussions. The replacement software for this site will use a unified account system with PBW2, and any newly created threads will carry over.
Welcome to Spaceempires.net
Login or Register

Search
Modules
· Content
· Downloads
· Forums
· Game Info
· Image Gallery
· Links
· Shipyards
· Topics
· Staff

User Info
· Welcome, Anonymous
Membership:
· New: Tiregan
· New Today: 0
· New Yesterday: 0
· Overall: 3154

People Online:
· Visitors: 122
· Members: 0
· Total: 122

Spaceempires.net :: Alliance Relations Still Broken? :: View topic
Forum FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Alliance Relations Still Broken?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormcrow
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Alliance Relations Still Broken? Reply with quote

I read that replying to proposals by outsiders was fixed, but it still isn't from what I can tell. All relations are always stuck at none in my current game. The original proposals are also rather ridiculous, always involving excessively intimidate deals regardless of mood.

Skyburn
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think alliances are broken in the SE5 hardcode, which modders can't fix. You'll have to stick with treaties.

Zwo_Dvoongar
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skyburn wrote:
I think alliances are broken in the SE5 hardcode, which modders can't fix. You'll have to stick with treaties.

That is certainly the case. One patch fixed a few alliance issues, but it wasn't nearly sufficient. I submitted a fairly long report to Malfador, along with a savegame file.

I suspect a modder with a whale of a lot of time to spare (years perhaps) could code around many of the difficulties. The AIs do not view themselves as members of an alliance; they keep conducting "normal diplomacy". Scripting could put a stop to that.

Testing of the "alliance" mode would really need to be done with multiple human players also, to learn exactly what all is involved in working around the issues. Then maaaaybe the AIs could be taught to work around them also.

A member of an alliance isn't even supposed to be "seen" as and individual empire any more. I can't recall if some issues were ever even addressed. For example, what about wars between other empires, and one which joins an alliance? Should they be cancelled? Should the whole alliance become involved? Perhaps they just continue until they end, without involving anyone else? But then there's no way to make a peace offer, right? The member no longer exists as a separate diplomatic entity!

I'd have to review; I don't remember even a fraction of the issues now.

Anyhow, it'd be far more effort than it's worth. The alliance feature was a good idea in more than one way, but it didn't turn out well. We look at it and see all this potential for interesting stuff, but to form an alliance is to doom a game - at least if it includes any AI empire.

Stormcrow
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of scripts, I run into the problem that it doesn't build until it the resource surplus runs down if I don't have designs for all types. Is there a way to fix that in the script, as I want more of one type built instead of others?

CaptainKwok
Balance Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would avoid alliances. The rules for alliances weren't really thought out (or executing well in the SE5 code itself) and it causes all sorts of problems for diplomacy. I only bare minimal supporting script for alliances in the mod, but would even like to pull that out to tidy up the diplomacy side.

Space Empires Depot | SE:V Balance Mod

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> Balance Mod All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: