This site is in archival mode. A replacement is being developed. In the meantime, please use the PBW2 Forums for community discussions. The replacement software for this site will use a unified account system with PBW2, and any newly created threads will carry over.
Welcome to Spaceempires.net
Login or Register

Search
Modules
· Content
· Downloads
· Forums
· Game Info
· Image Gallery
· Links
· Shipyards
· Topics
· Staff

User Info
· Welcome, Anonymous
Membership:
· New: Astorre
· New Today: 0
· New Yesterday: 1
· Overall: 3155

People Online:
· Visitors: 153
· Members: 0
· Total: 153

Spaceempires.net :: Idea: Used Universe :: View topic
Forum FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Idea: Used Universe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> SF Star Wars Mod
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bearclaw

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:56 am    Post subject: Idea: Used Universe Reply with quote

Star Wars has always been portrayed as a 'used universe'. Very little is new and shiny and most things are old, dirty and in need of some level of repair.

I've thought of a method to implement something similar but I wanted to get some feedback on how this might be received.

The thought is simple: since there is no way to remove spacedock repairs, make them REALLY expensive. To the point that it may be cheaper to replace that busted Laser Cannon than have it repaired. I'm also concidering giving all cargo bays larger capacity so that it doesn't become a hassle to stock extra components as replacements. Since landing on any planet is now an option, if you get into a jam, you could 'hide' on a nearby planet (you have to get really close to land on uncolonized planets), do your repairs ("I think we better replace the Negative Power Coupling") and get back into the action.

To further this concept, Hull repair skill will take a significant amount of points to increase but will still be possible. R2 units will be the way to go to keep hull repair going strong. In the interest of play balance, I'm also thinking that ships would have a certain number of slots for R2 units so that you can't simply load up on them. In fact I was thinking along the lines of having an "engineering" slot group. R2 units, Power generators and Power storage components would all fall under these slots. Go ahead and load up your slots with R2's but you may end up with very little power for your weapons (ie: Naboo Royal Yaht which had a bunch of R2's but no weapons anyway).

Nick (bearclaw)

"You don't know the Power of the Dark Side. I must obey my Master"

bearclaw

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. no reponses? Not even an:

"That idea SUCKS!!"

Nick (bearclaw)

Fulgrymm
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can't say that I'm too keen on that idea. My favourite activity in Starfury is to trawl the galaxy in search to pirates to kill, and loot their wreckages. That will become more difficult if I have to make room in my cargo holds for spare parts. Also it's more inconvenient than I would like. If it was possible to exhange equipment on the fly a la RPGs, then it wouldn't be so bad. Of course, you can't be in combat when you do it, because that would be cheap.

Last edited by Fulgrymm on Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:26 am; edited 1 time in total

bearclaw

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fulgrymm wrote:
If it was possible to exhange equipment on the fly a la RPGs, then it would be so bad. Of course, you can't be in combat when you do it, because that would be cheap.

Ahah!! And so it is Smile
This mod makes it so that you can land on any planet. Colonized or not. For uncolonized, you have to get in really close, which could be interesting if you are being pursude. Any uncolonized planet has only one location: component storage which allows for you to make component changes.

Voila! Hide out on a planet, make emergancy repairs and you are on your way again. (just watch out for giant Space Slugs)

What I'd like to be able to do (but don't know if it's possible) is have items that are 100% dmged to be partially repaired so that if you've got a team of R2 units, then you can get components fixed.

Nick (bearclaw)

Black_Knyght
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally kind of like the idea, especially if you could include a "Scrounged-up" factor, since it seems like a lot of ships have that used and worn flavor, as well as seeming to have a "pieced together with what they could scrounge up" look to them.

GMLocutus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fulgrymm wrote:
Well, I can't say that I'm too keen on that idea. My favourite activity in Starfury is to trawl the galaxy in search to pirates to kill, and loot their wreckages. That will become more difficult if I have to make room in my cargo holds for spare parts. Also it's more inconvenient than I would like. If it was possible to exhange equipment on the fly a la RPGs, then it wouldn't be so bad. Of course, you can't be in combat when you do it, because that would be cheap.

Everyship would need spare parts IMO. Lets say for example you're out on the rim systems, no spare parts and you get attacked by pirates. Now I don't think there are many colonised worlds on the outer rim, i don't believe that the majority would be government controlled, more like renegade planets of pirates, thieves and criminal organisations. So anyway you get shot at and you need to make a repair, you've seen the size of the galaxy i doubt you'd really make it back to any civilized planet to make repairs, especially if your cargo is illegal to certain govt forces (like the Empire)

With spare parts it add realism to the game, since you're out in deep space or unexplored regions, you get attacked, why not head to the nearest planet and use your spare parts to repair? You are afterall heading out into unchartered territory, I doubt anyone wouldn't go out there without having some spare laser cannons or hull plating, plus whatever repair component you have would be slow in repairing since you're always on the move, it'd be better to ditch the damaged parts and replace it with a spare.

zeroadunn
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes sir, I do like it.

Rathan
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a good idea, it would make it different than normal Starfury.

SuicideJunkie
Leaky Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent idea!

This also gives you the opportunity to change your combat style in the hopes of salvaging operational parts.

Lose your power coupling in combat?
Well, that pirate over there has one in his engine. Shoot out his lifesupport and then hide till he dies.

Then you get to scrounge through the remains. If you were careful, that power coupling won't be more than 30% damaged.
Swap it in Smile
Oh, and while you're at it, there's a chunk of the pirate's armor that only has 5% damage. Use it to patch up the big hole in your port side where the pirate nailed you.

bearclaw

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, that now brings up a good question:
when a ship is destroyed (aka, it's hull points are 0), are all components on board that are not 100% dmg'd remain as "booty"? Anyone know? Or is the 'remains' randomly chosen from the onboard components?

Because if that is the case (non-random) then this system would provide an excellent opportunity for scrounging simply by keeping your weapons fire to one facing of your target ship. Leaving items on the far side untouched and the 2 adjacent minorly damaged.

Hmm... may have to run more tests...

Nick (bearclaw)

SuicideJunkie
Leaky Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The items are chosen randomly.

Most are vaporized, but if you left half the components intact, then about half of the rubble should be intact.

This is particularily useful for armor, which has facings, and does not need to be completely destroyed in order to kill the ship.

---

It should be noted that you do NOT gain experience from crippling a ship and letting its lifesupport bleed out until the crew is gone and the ship dies on its own.
But you do get useful components out of the wreck.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> SF Star Wars Mod All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: