This site is in archival mode. A replacement is being developed. In the meantime, please use the PBW2 Forums for community discussions. The replacement software for this site will use a unified account system with PBW2, and any newly created threads will carry over.
Welcome to Spaceempires.net
Login or Register

Search
Modules
· Content
· Downloads
· Forums
· Game Info
· Image Gallery
· Links
· Shipyards
· Topics
· Staff

User Info
· Welcome, Anonymous
Membership:
· New: Tiregan
· New Today: 0
· New Yesterday: 0
· Overall: 3154

People Online:
· Visitors: 111
· Members: 0
· Total: 111

Spaceempires.net :: Balance Mod v1.20 Tech Preview :: View topic
Forum FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Balance Mod v1.20 Tech Preview
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xash
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look forward to check it out, I hope that Small Systems addon will remain compatible.

CaptainKwok
Balance Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BM v1.20 has incorporated the small systems add-on by default.

Space Empires Depot | SE:V Balance Mod

CaptainKwok
Balance Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finishing up updating the AIs to the new hull sizes so they can design functional ships in the beta. Hoping to finish tonight but might stretch into tomorrow.

Skyburn
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DXM wrote:
So... What I'm hearing is that leveling up bothers you...? Wink

No, it's altering the size of vehicles that is annoying, since they must now be redesigned. With units it can also break automated cargo routes, but that isn't too big a problem in BM as in some other mods. Since costs scale up with the size as Ekolis mentioned, there isn't a whole lot of benefit to having vehicles' size increasing.

CaptainKwok
Balance Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minor setback with the v1.20 beta. Generated a hung turn during pre-post testing that I wasn't able to remedy yet. Should be able to get at it tomorrow.

DXM
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skyburn wrote:
DXM wrote:
So... What I'm hearing is that leveling up bothers you...? Wink

No, it's altering the size of vehicles that is annoying, since they must now be redesigned. With units it can also break automated cargo routes, but that isn't too big a problem in BM as in some other mods. Since costs scale up with the size as Ekolis mentioned, there isn't a whole lot of benefit to having vehicles' size increasing.

Yes, I was kidding, hence the "wink." But, as to troop sizes... I've thought instead of a bigger size of the same troop, it might be better to have a different type of troop unlocked with higher tech level... One that had inherent bonuses, perhaps.

ekolis
Virtual Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I mistaken or do the various techs branching off of Intelligence Services actually unlock intel projects, as opposed to boost their efficiency? How does that work? Does putting intel points into something you haven't unlocked just not do anything at all now?

Why is the Steal Research intel project so cheap? Does it no longer steal a whole tech level?

A smart bomb that targets only weapon platforms? Won't it hit troops as well?

Is the Energy Transmission Lens actually useful? Don't remember if I've used it in SE5, but in SE4 it was useless - it gave you a maximum of 60 shield points! Might be handy if it worked on fighters, but on ships it was useless...

Is it just me or did you take out most of the cultural achievements? I like the new Conservation one, though...

Why do ice and gas colonization techs say they require level 2 and 3 colonization respectively? Colonization has only one level, and it would be unfair to make rock races research more to get a second colony tech...

That's no space station - it's a spreadsheet!

CaptainKwok
Balance Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Achieving tech levels in the various intelligence areas only provides a bonus in that focus area (up to 50%). The intelligence projects themselves are randomly attempted under the player's chosen focus area. Also, the point cost is only what it costs to execute the project, but not necessarily successfully. Generally the success rates are fairly low.

The Smart Bomb (WP) needs to be evaluated but the only valid target type will be Weapon Platforms so hopefully it works. The idea is to help disarm target planets to some degree without doing a lot of collateral damage.

The Energy Transmission Lens is up to 150 points. Not a lot, but allows for a couple of extra hits for most ships at the cost of only one system facility. It would have been better if it was a % modifier.

Actually there is 1 or 2 more achievements in v1.20 vs v1.19.

The colonization thing is a typo.

---

Just FYI, should have that beta out sometime this weekend. Haven't had a chance to get to it this week, but have a long weekend here to catch up.

xash
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Captain.
I'm not sure if you are aware of this, there was a problem with previous BM small systems - which I play. I managed to solve it by adding script function.
I hope you could find this useful:

Quote:

I don't get access violation errors after I added that little function to external events script (below). It makes sure that value of the planet doesn't go nuts because of some mysterious event. Like I mentioned earlier in this thread event scripts don't have any safeties against overflow. That might be a reason. Game needs this fix in non finite resources mode only because thats when some AI owned planets values go ridiculously high for some reason.
I play Balance Mod with Small Systems.
Code:
//---------------------------------
// Fix_Planets_values
//---------------------------------
function Fix_Planets_values returns boolean
params
vars
  fff:                      long
  howmany:                long
  mylist:              longlist
  indeksy:                 long
  big_whatta:               resources
  donkey:                  resources
begin
if (NOT Sys_Is_Finite_Resource_Game()) then
// planets
    call big_whatta.set(1,256.0)
    call big_whatta.set(2,256.0)
    call big_whatta.set(3,256.0)

set howmany := Sys_Get_List_Of_Space_Objects_Of_Type(4,mylist,TRUE,TRUE,0)
for fff := 1 to howmany do
set indeksy := mylist.get(fff)
set donkey := Sys_Get_Space_Object_Planet_Value(indeksy)

if (donkey.isgreaterthan(big_whatta)) then
// first 3 didn't always work in long run so using more brutal approach
//    call Sys_Change_Planet_Value(indeksy,-10,1)
//    call Sys_Change_Planet_Value(indeksy,-10,2)
//    call Sys_Change_Planet_Value(indeksy,-10,3)
    call Sys_Change_Planet_Value(indeksy,-239,1)
    call Sys_Change_Planet_Value(indeksy,-239,2)
    call Sys_Change_Planet_Value(indeksy,-239,3)
endif
endfor

endif

end

Here is entire topic: http://www.spaceempires.net/ftopict-10086.html

CaptainKwok
Balance Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update. I will look into it further to see if there might be additional causes.

marhawkman
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, my observations with making "smart" bombs to destroy weapon platforms is that it doesn't really work well.

IIRC, you can't actually target weapon platforms from space. So anything that has weapon platform as a target type only works on ground, since in space the target is a planet.

I think the best way is to create a special damage type, and give the damage type a low population damage and facility damage value. thus creating an somewhat unreliable weapon that you can carpet bomb planets with with impunity.

CaptainKwok
Balance Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can actually create damage types that specify a vehicle type. I've just put one in and will test it out. For the bomb entry itself, I switched the targeting type to Planet only.

Zwo_Dvoongar
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only looked at the first pdf, but every change I saw seems to be an improvement. Good work!

murphy0512
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A problem I found when creating ship designs is that when I need to update the ship or remove/add a few components I cannot use the EDIT feature? I have to make the current model obsolete and have to update the ship. is there a way to fix this so I can use the edit feature? Thanks Smile

CaptainKwok
Balance Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can only use edit on a design that hasn't been constructed or added to a construction queue.

murphy0512
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptainKwok wrote:
You can only use edit on a design that hasn't been constructed or added to a construction queue.

oh, okay. I did not know that. Is there any way to work around that so I can use the edit feature for designs that are in play or have been constructed? Thanks Smile

murphy0512
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

murphy0512 wrote:
CaptainKwok wrote:

oh, okay. I did not know that. Is there any way to work around that so I can use the edit feature for designs that are in play or have been constructed? Thanks Smile

the reason that I ask, is so I don't have to keep renaming my designs everytime I want to only change a component or if its not a major upgrade (lets say only one level or so). Thanks Smile

murphy0512
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Captain for all the work that you put into for BM 1.19 and for the work you are currently doing for 1.20. Its a great improvement from the stock.

CaptainKwok
Balance Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the "Upgrade" button will automatically update all components on a design while appending a roman numeral suffix.

Using the "Copy" button will copy the design allowing to make specific changes, but you'll need to update the name yourself in this case.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> Balance Mod All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: