This site is in archival mode. A replacement is being developed. In the meantime, please use the PBW2 Forums for community discussions. The replacement software for this site will use a unified account system with PBW2, and any newly created threads will carry over.
Welcome to Spaceempires.net
Login or Register

Search
Modules
· Content
· Downloads
· Forums
· Game Info
· Image Gallery
· Links
· Shipyards
· Topics
· Staff

User Info
· Welcome, Anonymous
Membership:
· New: Astorre
· New Today: 0
· New Yesterday: 0
· Overall: 3155

People Online:
· Visitors: 64
· Members: 0
· Total: 64

Spaceempires.net :: Increase/Disrupt Reload Time? :: View topic
Forum FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Increase/Disrupt Reload Time?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> SEIV Modding Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black_Knyght
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:18 am    Post subject: Increase/Disrupt Reload Time? Reply with quote

I have a couple of questions about these, and IF there's any real difference between these two Damage Types?

In the Stock game, the Mental Flailer description says "Psychic attack of the crew momentarily prevents them from firing weapons. Will not work against Master Computers."

So first question - Does this really NOT work against Master Computers, or is that just misleading?

Second question - BOTH "Increase Reload Time" and "Disrupt Reload Time" seem to do the exact same thing, only they're designated as two separate damage types. Is there REALLY any difference between the two, and if so what is it?

MageKing17
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the wiki, Disrupt Reload Time doesn't actually use the damage value? I think some experimentation might be needed here.

Black_Knyght
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the SE Wiki, the descriptions are virtually identical.

Increase Reload Time

No damage is done to target. Instead, reload time of all weapons is increased by the damage value.

Disrupt Reload Time

No damage is done to target. Instead, reload time of all weapons is increased by a large value, possibly 30 (number of combat rounds in stock game).

The Mental Flailer uses the "Increase Reload Time" damage type, while the Energy Dampener uses the "Disrupt Reload Time" damage type. BOTH of these seem no different at all.

Blackadder
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess the difference is that "increase reload time" doesn't work against Master Computers. But I'll test it in the simulator and find out. Wink

Keep your point defense cannons charged... the Null Space Mod is now available.

Blackadder
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tested this is unmodded stock SEIV. Energy Dampener works against Master Computer, but Mental Flailer doesn't. Both disrupt reload time by a number equal to the damage value; the wiki is wrong here.

So the only difference is that "increase load time" doesn't work on Master Computers.

Black_Knyght
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx !

That's VERY interesting, since I thought the ONLY thing that didn't work on a Master Computer was the Allegiance Subverter.

Black_Knyght
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some further testing of my own, I discovered that both damage types also skip both shields and armor.

I also adjusted the SE Wiki accordingly as follows:

Increase Reload Time

Skips both shields and armor, and no damage is done to target. Instead, reload time of all weapons is increased a number of turns equal to the damage value. Does not work against Master Computers.

Disrupt Reload Time

Skips both shields and armor, and no damage is done to target. Instead, reload time of all weapons is increased a number of turns equal to the damage value.

Blackadder
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I should have mentioned that defenses don't help against either weapon... except for ones that keep you from getting hit in the first place!

My favorite tactic when I (rarely) play a crystalline race is to make some small, fast "nega-ships" armed with several energy dampeners and multiplex tracking. They move into range first and disable as many enemy weapons as possible. Then the rest of my ships move in for the kill. Twisted Evil

It works well with tactical combat; it might not be quite as useful in strategic combat.

Black_Knyght
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting tactic! Gonna have to remember that one.

Blackadder
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, energy dampener is by far the best crystalline weapon IMO. It can disable ALL the weapons on ANY size ship in ONE shot, and there's NO defense except not getting hit in the first place. I usually don't even bother using larger mounts with it - three turns with no weapons is plenty of time for the enemy to lose the battle in most cases. Wink

Black_Knyght
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been experimenting with various lesser used weapon types, to work out unexpected tactics. I also found that the Tachyon Projection Cannon is an extremely useful surprise for players who ignore it.

Seems everyone focuses on knocking shields down, or if psychic then crew conversion, but few seem to use anything else.

Blackadder
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've never used TPC's (although it sounds like a cool idea) but I like to use "special" weapons in general during the late game. It seems more elegant than the brute force approach of "do as much damage as possible".

Hmmm, sticking with the crystalline tech theme, here's a thought for tactical combat. You have two designs of warships: "special attack ships" with energy dampeners, shield generator destroyers, and engine destroyers, and "missile attack ships" with lots of crystalline torpedoes. The special attack ships move in first and use their shield-skipping special weapons to knock out enemy weapons and shield generators; once an enemy's shields are down, they take out its engines. Once they've crippled as many enemy ships as possible, the missile attack ships fire barrages of crystalline torpedoes. The enemy ships won't be able to flee, won't be able to fire their PDC's, and won't have any shields to reduce the damage from the armor-skipping seekers. Result: mass slaughter. Twisted Evil

Again, though, it would be most useful in tactical combat where you have total control over which ships attack when and what they target. It probably wouldn't work if you used strategic combat.

Black_Knyght
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been making more and more use of the Tachyon Projection Cannon, which takes out enemy weapons before the get a chance to hit me. Combined with the Ionic Disperser you can quickly remove the enemy's ability to fight or run.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> SEIV Modding Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: