This site is in archival mode. A replacement is being developed. In the meantime, please use the PBW2 Forums for community discussions. The replacement software for this site will use a unified account system with PBW2, and any newly created threads will carry over.
Welcome to Spaceempires.net
Login or Register

Search
Modules
· Content
· Downloads
· Forums
· Game Info
· Image Gallery
· Links
· Shipyards
· Topics
· Staff

User Info
· Welcome, Anonymous
Membership:
· New: OAKSIF0
· New Today: 0
· New Yesterday: 0
· Overall: 3153

People Online:
· Visitors: 111
· Members: 0
· Total: 111

Spaceempires.net :: Dark Nova: alive or dead? :: View topic
Forum FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Dark Nova: alive or dead?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> Dark Nova Mod
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Artaud
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: Dark Nova: alive or dead? Reply with quote

Hi guys

This has always been one of my favorite mods. I currently play 4.27, in spite of encountering some crash problems during tactical combat.

Is this mod still being worked on, or is it in limbo?

bearclaw

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so glad to hear that this is one of your favorites!

Is Dark Nova dead? No.
Has there been any work on it in a VERY long time? No again.

I have a list of things to work on for DN5 but I haven't done anything with it in quite a while now. Other projects on the go and whatnot. I do plan on getting this up to speed again at some point. Just no eta yet.

Dark Nova 4 for SE4... that I haven't done any work on in even longer. Not sure if I will or not.

When you have crashes in tactical combat, are fighters involved? And do any of the fighters have Assault Rockets installed? There were a couple of issues regarding Assault Rockets and tactical combat. First: there was a bug in SE4 when fighters launched seekers, or was that when seekers targeted fighters... Can't recall which but I do believe that the latest version of SE4 fixed that. I'm sure someone here remembers better than me and can clarify that. I do belive I also added a seeker PD weapon that triggers that same bug too, but I don't remember precesely now.

Secondly, there was an issue with the.bmp for the Assault Rockets that can cause a crash in Tactical Combat. Again, IIRC, opening the.bmp in any graphic program and saving it as a.bmp with the exact same name fixed that one.

Nick (bearclaw)

"You don't know the Power of the Dark Side. I must obey my Master"

Artaud
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, there aren't fighters involved, or assault rockets. I'll have to return to the particular game I was playing to see if I can get the same crash.

But I like the mod a lot. Diversity, choices, asteroid mining...there is so much about the mod to love.

I'm still on version 4.27 for SE4. I don't have SE5.

If you decide not to return to Dark Nova for SE4, please know that all of the work you did has been greatly appreciated. People might say that it's just a game, and that's true, but having such a pleasant diversion is really important in these difficult times.

bearclaw

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a couple people now ask about DN4. I might yet release another update. There is a feature I wanted to put out but never did I call "Libraries".

Basicly, you would have to set DN4 games for no tech trades. Instead, if you wanted to trade or gift technology to another, you would have to build a special proto-type ship for them to deconstruct and analize. For component technologies, that wouldn't be an issue but for things like facilites and such you would get a special "library" component. I think of it like a physical database of the technology you want to trade/gift. The receipiant has to deconstruct/analyze the "libraray" database in order to gain the technology.

Modding it would be straightforward enough, it would just take a lot of modding.

I think that was the last thing for DN4 that I wanted to get in.

Nick (bearclaw)

Coolaminator
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope, that DN not dead =)

Artaud
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope this mod is not dead.

ekolis
Virtual Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're in luck - I'm starting a Dark Nova 4.29 game! Very Happy

http://beta.pbw.spaceempires.net/games/inkyvoid

That's no space station - it's a spreadsheet!

Artaud
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is 4.29 functional? Well, I suppose my question is a silly one, if you are starting a PBW game.

I recently downloaded DN 4.29, and it appears that a couple of races have no images. "The Brotherhood" is one of them.

Lots of interesting techs in DN. It's great to see that people are still playing it.

I looked through the downloads section, and there are mods that I have still never played, even after all these years. Some mods just grab you and you keep coming back to them, again and again. But I recently tried a couple of mods for the first time, and have been pleasantly surprised.

ekolis
Virtual Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just used 4.29 because it was the latest version. If it's broken, we can always use an older version. Bearclaw, you around to explain?

bearclaw

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4.29 should be working. At least I'm not aware of any fatal errors.

there are a few race folders that are 'empty' on purpose. The way SE4 grabs images for use in games works so that if it can't find an image in a mod folder, it will attempt to find a matching image in the default image folders. By having empty folders for races, all someone needs to do is install the races to the default SE4 picture / races folder and Dark Nova will find the correct images. This way, there is no need to install race images more than once on a computer. The race folders in DN4.29 are for the few DN4 compatible races that are out there.

Nick (bearclaw)

ekolis
Virtual Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I had to delete one of those folders because it was making SE4 give an error when I try to scroll past that shipset in race setup. Maybe that only happens when I don't actually have the shipset installed, though...

Artaud
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekolis wrote:
Hmm, I had to delete one of those folders because it was making SE4 give an error when I try to scroll past that shipset in race setup. Maybe that only happens when I don't actually have the shipset installed, though...

That is when I was getting an error. So if I install the Brotherhood, the error will go away.

bearclaw

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is correct.
SEIV will check for the files in the mod folder first, failing that it will check the default folder and failing that, will give an error.

Edit: sorry for the delay in responding. Just found out that I had an old email set up on SE.net for my account which is why I wasn't getting notices of new replies here.

Nick (bearclaw)

ekolis
Virtual Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You actually use the email notifications feature on forums?! Shocked Poor, poor Bearclaw's inbox...

ekolis
Virtual Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow has it been over a year already since I started that game?!

Artaud
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once again hope that this great mod is not dead!~ Very Happy

ekolis
Virtual Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard rumors of Bearclaw being interested in reviving it, so I've started posting bugs and stuff over on the forum here... Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> Dark Nova Mod All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: