This site is in archival mode. A replacement is being developed. In the meantime, please use the PBW2 Forums for community discussions. The replacement software for this site will use a unified account system with PBW2, and any newly created threads will carry over.
Welcome to Spaceempires.net
Login or Register

Search
Modules
· Content
· Downloads
· Forums
· Game Info
· Image Gallery
· Links
· Shipyards
· Topics
· Staff

User Info
· Welcome, Anonymous
Membership:
· New: Astorre
· New Today: 0
· New Yesterday: 0
· Overall: 3155

People Online:
· Visitors: 113
· Members: 0
· Total: 113

Spaceempires.net :: Intel as a passive surveillance tool :: View topic
Forum FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Intel as a passive surveillance tool

View previous topic :: View next topic  
arthurtuxedo
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Intel as a passive surveillance tool Reply with quote

When I think of Intel, I envision an apparatus that mostly gathers information and only occasionally engages in clandestine sabotage, assassination, or stoking rebellion. Why not allow empires that have invested in Intel to see what is going on inside other borders?

As I envision it, Intel points could be used for offensive or defensive purposes as they are in SE IV and V, but any points not used for either accumulate as Surveillance Points. The more SP's you have compared with other empires, the more you can snoop on them and the less they can snoop on you. This could be done via ratio, for instance:

If an empire has 4 or more times as many SP's as you, you're blind to anything happening inside their borders unless your ships can observe it (ie. the current system)

At 25-49% of their SPs, you can know basic, outdated information, like the locations and rough populations of their colonies 20 turns ago, tech levels 20 turns ago with a margin of error of 5 ranks, etc.

At 50-99% of their SP's, you have info that is only 10 turns old, and with a smaller margin of error. You might also get access to old ship designs and be able to know whether a warp point is defended, but not the number or type of defenses.

This would go on incrementally, until, say, 10 times the rival empires' SP, at which point you would pretty much get a real-time bird's eye view of everything going on inside their borders.

This scheme would add another dimension to Intel and make the tech branch essential for everyone to invest at least some RP's in, even if they don't intend to use it offensively and aren't worried about intel attacks from others.

Black_Knyght
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That really is a clever idea. And relatable to real-world passive intel-gathering

ekolis
Virtual Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, that sounds cool. Kinda reminds me of Civ4's espionage system. Why'd they have to dumb it down for Civ5?! Rolling Eyes

That's no space station - it's a spreadsheet!

Perimal
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting.

Though I would suggest that rather than making it the empire's total intel resources you go by the rsources allocated to that race so that weaker races get a chance. I assume you would implement it by giving the spies a look at the victim's turn log.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> FrEee All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: