This site is in archival mode. A replacement is being developed. In the meantime, please use the PBW2 Forums for community discussions. The replacement software for this site will use a unified account system with PBW2, and any newly created threads will carry over.
Welcome to Spaceempires.net
Login or Register

Search
Modules
· Content
· Downloads
· Forums
· Game Info
· Image Gallery
· Links
· Shipyards
· Topics
· Staff

User Info
· Welcome, Anonymous
Membership:
· New: Astorre
· New Today: 0
· New Yesterday: 0
· Overall: 3155

People Online:
· Visitors: 123
· Members: 0
· Total: 123

Spaceempires.net :: Mutual Defense Pact :: View topic
Forum FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Mutual Defense Pact

View previous topic :: View next topic  
icmp_request
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Mutual Defense Pact Reply with quote

Hello! Smile

Is it working on any way?

Let's say e.g. I attack an Empire/Neutral Empire with Mutual Defense Pact with another... Should I expect this other Empire to break the treaty with me and declare war?

Thanks!

Zwo_Dvoongar
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found in the diplomacy script:
Code:
  // Special requests from players only
  // Request declare war on empire
  if (msg_type = POLITICS_MSG_REQUEST_DECLARE_WAR_ON_EMPIRE) then
    set accept_demand := FALSE
    // Make sure the requesting player is actually at war with the other empire
    if (is_req_friend) then
      if (is_other_enemy) then
        // Don't accept the request if we are already at war with the specified empire
        // Message text
        if (Sys_Get_Random_Long(1, 2) = 1) then
          set alt_msg_text := "We are already at war with the " + other_name + ". Do not waste our time by sending thoughtless requests."
        else
          set alt_msg_text := "The " + from_name + " must pay more attention to the state of the galaxy. We are already at war with the " + other_name + "."
        endif
      else
        // Consider declaring war if the specified empire is not our enemy
        if (is_req_enemy_of_other) then
          // Consider declaring war because of a Mutual Defense Pact
          if (is_req_mut_def_partner) then
            if (is_other_friend) then
              // Don't accept if we are friends with the specified empire
              // Message text
                set alt_msg_text := "We cannot go to war with the " + other_name + " despite our Mutual Defense Pact. You will need to resolve your differences with them on your own."
              else
                set alt_msg_text := "It is not possible to declare war on the " + other_name + " because of our existing treaty with them. We do not wish to dishonor our own agreement, so perhaps we can resolve the differences between the " + from_name + " and the " + other_name + "?"
              endif
            else
              // Accept the demand (in general) but reserve the right to check if we can handle war the specified empire
              set accept_demand := TRUE
              // Message text
                set alt_msg_text := "The reasons for war with the " + other_name + " are strong and we would like to honor our agreement, but we must explore if we are capable to wage such a war."
              else
                set alt_msg_text := "We feel obligated to honor our defense pact with the " + from_name + ", but first we must determine if we can handle the requirements of a war with the vile " + other_name + "."
              endif
            endif
          else
            // Don't accept the demand because we don't have a Mutual Defense Pact with the requesting empire
            // Message text
              set alt_msg_text := "There might be reasons to justify war with the " + other_name + ", but we cannot take that risk to find out if they are the right ones."
            else
              set alt_msg_text := "The " + from_name + " are certainly our friends, but we cannot simply go to war against the " + other_name + " for this reason alone."
            endif
          endif
        else
          // Don't accept if the requesting empire is not even at war with the specified empire
          // Message text
            set alt_msg_text := "Do not expect us to declare war on the " + other_name + " if you are not willing to do the same."
          else
            set alt_msg_text := "Do you think we are foolish enough to considering war with the " + other_name + " on your whim? The bidding of the " + from_name + " can be done by themselves."
          endif
        endif
      endif
    endif
  endif

I'd say it won't often do much.

From experience, rather than analysis of code, I'd say there's a chance of just about any request being granted, although it can be mighty small. If you have an empire that's friendly and always getting friendlier, you can sometimes afford to take risks and ask all sorts of things of them. If they decline, the hit on relations should soon be erased.

However... never ask even the friendliest empire to "surrender". That applies only to enemies, and it'll result in war, I found out.

http://www.spaceempires.net/ftopicp-64663.html#64663

icmp_request
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see, thanks! Smile

For what I've seen, as long as I have any treaty with the Empire they're asking, this Empire will not declare war on me, even on mutual defense pact with the Empire I'm attacking... Confirmed?

CaptainKwok
Balance Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That part of the script quoted refers to the AI's response to a "declare war on empire" request. It runs a bunch of checks to make sure the targeted player is actually a potential enemy and not just to declare war because someone else asked it.

Having a treaty with the empire will usually prevent it from joining a war against you but there does exist the possibility if the treaty is of the non-friendship variety (basic treaties, non-aggression only etc) that your relations might deteriorate and eventually they'll break it if they are friendly enough with the other player.

Space Empires Depot | SE:V Balance Mod

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> Balance Mod All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: