This site is in archival mode. A replacement is being developed. In the meantime, please use the PBW2 Forums for community discussions. The replacement software for this site will use a unified account system with PBW2, and any newly created threads will carry over.
Welcome to Spaceempires.net
Login or Register

Search
Modules
· Content
· Downloads
· Forums
· Game Info
· Image Gallery
· Links
· Shipyards
· Topics
· Staff

User Info
· Welcome, Anonymous
Membership:
· New: Astorre
· New Today: 0
· New Yesterday: 0
· Overall: 3155

People Online:
· Visitors: 117
· Members: 0
· Total: 117

Spaceempires.net :: Point Defense Weapons :: View topic
Forum FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Point Defense Weapons

View previous topic :: View next topic  
VikThor
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Point Defense Weapons Reply with quote

Hi, Captain Kwok !

I think your mod is Veeery Good, and makes really enjoyable a game that otherwise has many shortcomings !
Space Empires V with Balance Mod is so good, so deep, so complete ... I think it's still the best space strategy game !

One thing that could be improved, IMO, is to make the big guns unable to hit small targets, such fighters, drones, missiles, and relegate this task exclusively to the point defense weapons.
So it would be more realistic.

Kind Regards
Vik Thor

CaptainKwok
Balance Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not eager to prevent all large weapons from targeting smaller vehicles as it would add a layer of complexity for me to have AI players to appropriately engage targets.

Right now, most direct fire weapons can be used against the smaller targets but it's not a good strategy to neglect point-defense (or just use if for missile defense) as the larger weapons have poor to-hit chances against units and particularly against fighters.

Space Empires Depot | SE:V Balance Mod

SteinB
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about weapon mounts removing the ability to target small objects?
Then by using such mounts you are trading away the ability to hit small targets for the increased damage and range.

ekolis
Virtual Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, mounts can't affect weapon target types. Perhaps this would be a good idea for FrEee, though... Wink

That's no space station - it's a spreadsheet!

LordZsar1
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fail to see the problem. You need point defense as it is. You need a lot. In fact, once fleets reach a size beyond the first dozen and huge fortified planets make their appearance, you always need more than you have.

... Why increase the demand again?

VikThor
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptainKwok wrote:
I'm not eager to prevent all large weapons from targeting smaller vehicles as it would add a layer of complexity for me to have AI players to appropriately engage targets.

Right now, most direct fire weapons can be used against the smaller targets but it's not a good strategy to neglect point-defense (or just use if for missile defense) as the larger weapons have poor to-hit chances against units and particularly against fighters.

Yes, I have noticed that "the larger weapons have poor to-hit chances against units and particularly against fighters", also the "very big" weapons already can't aim fighters/missiles/drones, ... and I didn't know which would be complex add this for you ... so, it's not so bad as it is now !

One thing I don't understand is why, IMO, the ships in the standard game have a strange turn rate and a too fast acceleration, while in "Balance Mod" the acceleration is realistic, but they have a turn rate absolutely too fast and unrealistic ?
So I have modified the "VehicleSizes" text, to correct this.

I also have modified the hulls size, to something better in my taste ( similar to the hulls size of the "Crimsom Mod"), and seems to me that the AI can handle it (... but I'm not really sure).

Feel free ( CaptainKwok ) to use it at your will, if you find it useful.

http://files.spaceempires.net/user/2390/Vik_Thor_VehicleSizes.zip

Zwo_Dvoongar
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pardon the interruption, please.

VikThor wrote:

One thing I don't understand is why, IMO, the ships in the standard game have a strange turn rate and a too fast acceleration, while in "Balance Mod" the acceleration is realistic, but they have a turn rate absolutely too fast and unrealistic ?

I'm trying my hand at modding, and have addressed the turn rates. I was just about to turn my attention to acceleration / deceleration. Would it be too much trouble for you to post a sampling of the figures you're employing? Say maybe FF, CA, CV, SmFtr, Med Frtr? Getting what I desire will probably take some trial-and-error anyhow.

VikThor
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zwo_Dvoongar wrote:
Pardon the interruption, please.

VikThor wrote:

I'm trying my hand at modding, and have addressed the turn rates. I was just about to turn my attention to acceleration / deceleration. Would it be too much trouble for you to post a sampling of the figures you're employing? Say maybe FF, CA, CV, SmFtr, Med Frtr? Getting what I desire will probably take some trial-and-error anyhow.

Considering that I don't know what are "FF, CA, CV, SmFtr, Med Frtr" ... probably yes, it's too difficult for me, ... hahaha (lol) !
( I'm not so expert about computer ).
Anyway, seems simple to me ... you can temporarily change the "VehicleSizes" file with the mine, and test in the combat simulator how the ships move.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> Balance Mod All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: