This site is in archival mode. A replacement is being developed. In the meantime, please use the PBW2 Forums for community discussions. The replacement software for this site will use a unified account system with PBW2, and any newly created threads will carry over.
Welcome to Spaceempires.net
Login or Register

Search
Modules
· Content
· Downloads
· Forums
· Game Info
· Image Gallery
· Links
· Shipyards
· Topics
· Staff

User Info
· Welcome, Anonymous
Membership:
· New: Astorre
· New Today: 0
· New Yesterday: 0
· Overall: 3155

People Online:
· Visitors: 148
· Members: 0
· Total: 148

Spaceempires.net :: Use of Long Range Scanners and Scanner Jammers :: View topic
Forum FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Use of Long Range Scanners and Scanner Jammers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptainKwok
Balance Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Use of Long Range Scanners and Scanner Jammers Reply with quote

I'm curious to know how players are using Long Range Scanners and Scanner Jammers in the mod - so anything from ship design to deployment etc.

Space Empires Depot | SE:V Balance Mod

Skyburn
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't normally use them, since I usually share designs with allies and attack enemies on sight.

ekolis
Virtual Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't normally research them, because while long range sensors are handy for getting info on enemy ships (what weapons do they have? are they carrying cargo? are they low on supplies?), they are pitifully short ranged, at least at low levels. And scanner jammers (and by extension scattering armor) would be handy for preventing enemies from getting said info on you (especially on your carriers, since a full carrier is much more dangerous than an empty one)... but since nobody seems to use long range sensors to begin with, and the jammers don't completly block them (only reduce them by a range), the jammers don't seem all that worthwhile either. At least they don't take up much space or cost much...

By the way, to alleviate this problem, in Stellar Warfare Mod, I made long range scanners system wide, so as long as you have one long range scanner in a system, you can scan any enemy ship in the system. Might have overdone it though, seeing as there are no jammers... but then Stellar Warfare is intended to be more of a tactical mod, and it's annoying to know what design a ship is but not see what components it has even if you have the design listed in Enemy Designs!

That's no space station - it's a spreadsheet!

CaptainKwok
Balance Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed, are you sure the Scanner Jammer reduces the effective range or is that an assumption?

Skyburn
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something else to consider is that scanners aren't useful enough to spend research on in a competitive game. I've never seen anyone deploy them in a PvP game. If you really want to see an enemy design, attacking with a lone fighter or drone is pretty cheap.

LordZsar1
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the AI even care for designs? I tend to research these along with everything else and put them on designs which RP-ish should have them.
... Never actually looked at an enemies design with the purpose to counter it.

Mayhap my input is not the most useful here, as I do not do "competitive" and certainly not "PvP".
- Still going back to Master of Orion for the thoroughly "in character" AI there... never played it on anything but "Normal" difficulty either (but BM AIs I set to "Hard").

CaptainKwok
Balance Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AI does analyze enemy designs and make changes based on them. However in this case they don't use long range scanners (I thought I had them on some observation sats) but they do use scanner jammers on a couple of designs.

ekolis
Virtual Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptainKwok wrote:
Ed, are you sure the Scanner Jammer reduces the effective range or is that an assumption?

I'm assuming it behaves as advertised... are you thinking it just negates scanners at any range, or doesn't work at all, or something?

That's no space station - it's a spreadsheet!

CaptainKwok
Balance Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the way the description is written I can see it blocking scans within the specified distance but not beyond. I will double-check the behaviour.

In v1.20, Long Range Scanners and Scanner Jammers will be available at alternate levels. Scanner Jammers won't be able to fully block LRS at max tech either.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> Balance Mod All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: