This site is in archival mode. A replacement is being developed. In the meantime, please use the PBW2 Forums for community discussions. The replacement software for this site will use a unified account system with PBW2, and any newly created threads will carry over.
Welcome to Spaceempires.net
Login or Register

Search
Modules
· Content
· Downloads
· Forums
· Game Info
· Image Gallery
· Links
· Shipyards
· Topics
· Staff

User Info
· Welcome, Anonymous
Membership:
· New: OAKSIF0
· New Today: 0
· New Yesterday: 0
· Overall: 3153

People Online:
· Visitors: 65
· Members: 0
· Total: 65

Spaceempires.net :: Organic Weapons underwhelming :: View topic
Forum FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Organic Weapons underwhelming

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ekolis
Virtual Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Organic Weapons underwhelming Reply with quote

I understand that the point of Organic Weapons is supposed to be "research 1 tech, get all your weapons"... but when the tech is fairly expensive for a weapons tech, and the weapons are mediocre at best... what's the point? Might as well go for the standard weapons, and if that's the case, why are organic weapons even in the game?

That's no space station - it's a spreadsheet!

Skyburn
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Organic weapons also shift cost from minerals to organics, meaning you can build stuff faster.

marhawkman
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that and it makes it a bit useless for non-organic races to capture your stuff. Smile

CaptainKwok
Balance Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree with the premise that organic weapons are mediocre. They offer mostly equivalent damage ratings to standard weapons and certain combinations have synergistic effects that make them even more effective against typical ship designs (~50-50 mix of shields/armor).

Space Empires Depot | SE:V Balance Mod

Artful_Bodger
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest CCMod organic weapons also self repair.

If you think they are useless, don't use them & go up against an Organic Race which does.

ekolis
Virtual Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the way I see it, at least for the early weapons:

Electric Discharge: 2x to shields is nice, but pitiful damage and especially range. Not worth the trouble unless you have good engines so you can stay in range.

Acid Globule: An OK weapon comparable to the DUC, this is the one I generally use when playing organic if I really want to use DF weapons, at least until tech sharing treaties let me get more advanced standard weapons or I cave in and research them myself Razz

Seeking Parasite: It's nice that it reloads quicker than the CSM, but it does a fair bit less damage too. This is the one I generally use when playing organic, simply because it's not as bad as the rest, except maybe the Acid Globule.

That Other One (sorry, forgot the name): What IS this thing? 40kT, barely does any more damage than the Acid Globule, and fires only half as often? Keep it away!

Now I guess some of the later weapons might be useful, such as the Hyper-Density Globule, but that's kind of situational, seeing as it doesn't deal direct damage, only slows down the target. (Which would make using those Electric Discharges easier, I guess... but that's a lot of research to pump into Organic Weapons when you could be going for other techs!)

ekolis
Virtual Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, somehow I split the Acid Globule into two separate weapons, one decent and one pathetic... looks like the real Acid Globule is somewhere between the two!

marhawkman
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, I added a PD version of lightning ray to Warp 10. :p

milleniumlance
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: organic fleet Reply with quote

my planets are constantly being carpet bombed by organic missiles, and their ships are built built/grow VERY quickly.

ekolis
Virtual Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, they can build ships rather quickly due to the split cost between minerals and organics... of course, that does require building both mines and farms!

Skyburn
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what Monoliths are for. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> Balance Mod All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: