This site is in archival mode. A replacement is being developed. In the meantime, please use the PBW2 Forums for community discussions. The replacement software for this site will use a unified account system with PBW2, and any newly created threads will carry over.
Welcome to Spaceempires.net
Login or Register

Search
Modules
· Content
· Downloads
· Forums
· Game Info
· Image Gallery
· Links
· Shipyards
· Topics
· Staff

User Info
· Welcome, Anonymous
Membership:
· New: Astorre
· New Today: 0
· New Yesterday: 0
· Overall: 3155

People Online:
· Visitors: 118
· Members: 0
· Total: 118

Spaceempires.net :: Engine Bonus :: View topic
Forum FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Engine Bonus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> Crimson Concept Mod
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ekolis
Virtual Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Engine Bonus Reply with quote

Should it go in armor slots, so it's always destroyed BEFORE the engines, such that you can never have the bonus and still have functioning engines (unless the bonus gets repaired before an actual engine)?

Also, the requirements description is extremely confusing! Shocked

That's no space station - it's a spreadsheet!

rnl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Also, the requirements description is extremely confusing!

It was not the easy setup to tell about. Which req. was confusing the most.

If I place the engine bonus as a armor then the engine bonus would be lost even if the engines aren't hit.

http://sites.google.com/site/crimsonconceptmod/

ekolis
Virtual Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The requirement with all the and/or conditions about Ship/Drone and Armor/Pod/External components. I think what it means is that ships and drones that don't have the maximum number of engines (either due to the player skimping on engines, or due to the addition of armor/pod/external components) cannot use the bonus component. If that's the case, here's an alternate description:

"Engine Bonus cannot be used unless the design has the maximum allowable number of engines and no armor/pod/external components."

Though actually, I think I was able to add armor to the design after adding the engine bonus - bug? (The armor description is also rather confusing - why does it say it reduces movement by 20? Doesn't it just count as an engine so you can't place the max number of engines? Or am I misunderstanding the new armor mechanics?)

Actually, assuming the engine bonus is always a defense bonus and nothing that can stack, couldn't you do the engine bonus as an ability on the engines themselves that has a condition checking to make sure if there are max engines on the ship? You'd just need an AI tag ability on each hull to say how many engines is the max for that hull, so as long as you're not out of AI tags, that would make things much simpler!

As for the component being destroyed first, how about just restricting it from inner slots, allowing it to be used only in outer slots as engines are?

edit: I guess an issue with my engine-bonus-as-intrinsic-ability idea might be that if you lose some engines in combat, you might not lose the bonus - but at least you'll lose it if you lose ALL the engines!

rnl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To use the bonus you need the max number of engine allowed and no external comps at all.

Quote:
"Though actually, I think I was able to add armor to the design after adding the engine bonus - bug?"

It shouldn't be able to do that, so tell me which ship type,(normal, org, host, etc) your using in the PBW game so I can fix it. Twisted Evil But it is a bug, so I do need to know at some point, maybe after we met.

The external comp/Armor count as movement point, but don't actually have any. Engines however supply movement points to use to move a ships. The points, real and fake, are added up in the req. to equal the max the ship is allowed.

The game doesn't allow comps to be added up in game, so you can get the points, only in the design screen can you count comps.

I can restricting it from inner slots in the next update release, but I'm not sure when that when be. Unfortunately the current setup is the only way to do the bonus setup.

ekolis
Virtual Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ship I tried adding armor to was a normal Frigate.

rnl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I just tested the normal ship and had no problems with the setup. Just so we'll on the same page here, in the current game setup No armor or external comps can be added on a ship with it's max allowed number of engines. You need the max number of engines allowed to add the engine bonus on the ship.

ekolis
Virtual Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I might have been mistaken - I'll check again next time I make a ship design!

edit: oh, and by the way, does the armor really take away 20 thrust points in ADDITION to counting as an engine? 20 thrust points isn't really all that much when basic engines provide 100, but it seems kind of redundant...

rnl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The armor and external comps count as having "movement points", ex: 20 for normal armor. These "fake" points and the engine's real points are added together to limit the number of real engines a ship can have.

Ex: Frigate need 40 points to move one time, with max allowed of 5 engines. If you use level 1 ion engines which provide 100 points, this equals out to a total of 500 movement point. So you could have "4 engines and 5 armors with 10 movement points" or "2 engines, 8 armors, and 14 Pod Capital Missiles with 5 movement points" or " 5 engines and the engine bonus with 12 movement points"

I don't remember what happens with the extra movement in the setup, which is how you may have been able to add the armor. Since base on the engines you were using you could have extra points. Shocked Now that I think about it I believe in the first setup I want players to be able to add 1 armor or so even with max engine, so that may have carried over. Oh well 1 armor is usually very light protect in this game. Evil or Very Mad

ekolis
Virtual Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, so the armors and such don't actually "count as an engine" 1 for 1, they just count against your maximum movement allotment? So a ship with level 1 ion engines would need 5 armors to reduce the max engines by one - engines are 100 moves, armors are 20 "anti-moves" - but a ship with higher tech engines could support more armor?

If that's the case, how about changing the armor description so that it says that it reduces the maximum allowable move points on a design, instead of the actual move points?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> Crimson Concept Mod All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: