This site is in archival mode. A replacement is being developed. In the meantime, please use the PBW2 Forums for community discussions. The replacement software for this site will use a unified account system with PBW2, and any newly created threads will carry over.
Welcome to Spaceempires.net
Login or Register

Search
Modules
· Content
· Downloads
· Forums
· Game Info
· Image Gallery
· Links
· Shipyards
· Topics
· Staff

User Info
· Welcome, Anonymous
Membership:
· New: Astorre
· New Today: 0
· New Yesterday: 0
· Overall: 3155

People Online:
· Visitors: 199
· Members: 0
· Total: 199

Spaceempires.net :: I'd like to join, but... :: View topic
Forum FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

I'd like to join, but...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> Kyth's Adamant Roleplay
View previous topic :: View next topic  
douglas
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:55 am    Post subject: I'd like to join, but... Reply with quote

I'm worried about what effect the 500 ship limit might have on the game. It may seem like a lot now, but late game empires may run up against it far too easily, and I know from personal experience how frustrating it is when an arbitrary limit makes my 6-to-1 economic advantage over my opponent completely irrelevant. It is especially worrisome when you consider that bases count towards the 500 maximum ships, and could easily become a crippling concern for any Pirate or Nomad races, as they can't colonize and have to depend almost entirely on ships and bases for their entire economy. A Nomad race with tons of remote mining ships and huge piles of base space yards, both of which are necessities for their play style, could hit 500 bases/ships quite easily.

I would much prefer setting both the ship and unit limits to the absolute maximum of 20000, effectively no limit. This would ensure both that the space-based economy of Pirate and Nomad races does not cripple them and that economic strength never becomes irrelevant just because an arbitrary limit was set low enough for both/all sides to reach.

I'd just love to play in this game, Adamant is my current favorite mod and I have no trouble RPing, but that particular setting could ruin it for me or some other player all too easily, especially if anyone plays a Pirate or Nomad race.

Violist
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeesh, I didn't even notice that. I completely agree, especially as I play nomads... forgot how quickly that limit is encountered.

Violas aren't violins. Seriously. And yes, I have heard that viola joke before :/

douglas
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed the ship and unit limits were changed to 20000 on PBW last night. Thank you Kythorak for responding to my request. With my only really major concern answered, I've applied to join on PBW and I'll be sure to upload my empire promptly once I get approved.

Now, just one more thing: "Score display: All". This has nowhere near the game-ruining potential of a too-low ship limit, but I don't like the idea of so much information about my empire being so easily available to everyone. In my opinion, people should have to put forth some effort to get even an estimate of the statistics displayed in the scores screen, especially for their enemies, and shouldn't have it available at all for empires they haven't even met yet. If a player wants to hide the size of his navy by parking half of it in a nebula no one can see through, he should be able to do so in my opinion. Showing only allied scores would help, but even then neutral parties with treaties with both sides would still be able to relay the information, and keeping score information secret from "allies" you intend to betray soon would be impossible. Showing only the player's own score would be best in my opinion. I'll play and have fun regardless of this setting, but I would prefer it set to show own score only.

ekolis
Virtual Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with douglas about the score display.

That's no space station - it's a spreadsheet!

douglas
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My empire is uploaded. Let's get this game started!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> Kyth's Adamant Roleplay All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: