This site is in archival mode. A replacement is being developed. In the meantime, please use the PBW2 Forums for community discussions. The replacement software for this site will use a unified account system with PBW2, and any newly created threads will carry over.
Welcome to Spaceempires.net
Login or Register

Search
Modules
· Content
· Downloads
· Forums
· Game Info
· Image Gallery
· Links
· Shipyards
· Topics
· Staff

User Info
· Welcome, Anonymous
Membership:
· New: Astorre
· New Today: 0
· New Yesterday: 0
· Overall: 3155

People Online:
· Visitors: 94
· Members: 0
· Total: 94

Spaceempires.net :: Shields and Armor :: View topic
Forum FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Shields and Armor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> SF Star Wars Mod
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuicideJunkie
Leaky Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:27 am    Post subject: Shields and Armor Reply with quote

How should these be used?

Separate emitter components and (re)generator components for each type are easy, and can be applied to any method.

1) Simple regenerating hitpoints like in stock is the most basic option.

2) Shields and armor can be used as separate types of combined shielding;
... one for energy weapons and one for particle weapons. Simple application of shield-skipping damage vs armor skipping damage.
Regenerators can recharge the "not-armor" and shields at the same time.

3) Shields can also be set to absorb a mostly-constant percentage of the damage inflicted.
A fighter's shields would absorb maybe 75%, while a frigate would absorb 95%, and a SSD would absorb 99% for example. Simple application of crystalline ability.
The shields would keep blocking most of the damage until the armor wears thin, and you take a hit to the shield generators... at which point it all starts to fall apart and the ship gets destroyed.

bearclaw

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking alot about this since we discussed the various options. And most likely they will develop into Deflector Shields (normal shields) and Particale Shields (armor).

What I'm concidering is making the partical weapons/shield function in a manner that will make the Deflectors the main type and more common but still musing over the options. Rest asured I will probably be picking your mind again on this subject Wink

Nick (bearclaw)

"You don't know the Power of the Dark Side. I must obey my Master"

bearclaw

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't looked into it yet, but can a Partical Shield component have a bitmap effect that still looks like a shield hit? Or is it more of an all or nothing aspect with armor? In that either all armor hits share the same bitmap effect or none do?

Nick (bearclaw)

SuicideJunkie
Leaky Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I can tell, the blasts are randomly chosen from the available weapon hit animations.

bearclaw

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SJ: (in particular but others feel free to comment):

I'm into the process of acutally creating the componenets now (this will take a while) and just want your input on acutal armor components. I'm going to have the Deflector shield/Partical shield done like you suggested.

What I want to do is also have some armor components. They will give some shield AND armor bonus showing that they will protect from both types of weapon. But they will be very small amounts compared to the shield generator/projector components. The idea is that the armor becomes a last resort defense. Do you think this is good or not? Should I instead have the ships have a 'layer' of armor mount slots along the edge of the ship with the armor components having substantial Structural (but not a lot).

On the one hand, the first option mixes the armor into the the shields, which I'd rather not have. The second option adds a new dimention to ship maintenance which may work quite well. You could end up with a ship that has no armor in specific locations because of size and/or finanicial issues.

for the Second option, Armor components could be 1-5 Kt with 10-20 Kt stuctrual. Or they could even be 0 Kt since the number that can be added will be fixed by the number of mount points.

Anyone know if SF supports decimal values for sizes? I'm thinking that if an armor component was .5 or even .1 Kt in size then the total amount will have an effect but nominal, yet more than zero.

Nick (bearclaw)

SuicideJunkie
Leaky Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fractional values really aren't needed. 1kt is tiny enough, and adding 20 or more is hard (you'd have to run between different shops to buy enough).

For real armor, don't give it the armor ability at all.
Just make special slots in a big outline around the hull, and allow some high hitpoint, no ability "armor plating" components in there.

Since its on the outside, it usually gets hit first, but you can punch arbitrarily sized holes in it.

bearclaw

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exaclty what I was thinking. So it's viable? I'm gonna do some tests once I've got some components in to see the actual effects.

Nick (bearclaw)

Fyron
Galactic Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the P&N campaigns and start Campaign 2 with the super figher. It has this sort of leaky armor implemented.

Smarter than your average Texrak.

SuicideJunkie
Leaky Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. That fighter is sweet.

Good times skirmishing with Xiati battleships on mercenary missions.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> SF Star Wars Mod All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: