This site is in archival mode. A replacement is being developed. In the meantime, please use the PBW2 Forums for community discussions. The replacement software for this site will use a unified account system with PBW2, and any newly created threads will carry over.
Welcome to Spaceempires.net
Login or Register

Search
Modules
· Content
· Downloads
· Forums
· Game Info
· Image Gallery
· Links
· Shipyards
· Topics
· Staff

User Info
· Welcome, Anonymous
Membership:
· New: Tiregan
· New Today: 0
· New Yesterday: 0
· Overall: 3154

People Online:
· Visitors: 107
· Members: 0
· Total: 107

Spaceempires.net :: What's it all about ? :: View topic
Forum FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

What's it all about ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black_Knyght
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: What's it all about ? Reply with quote

Okay ~ I'm still new around here, but could someone tell me what the "Invasion Mod" is about ?

Combat_Wombat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow how I let this sit here unanswered is beyond me

Invasion! has been described many different ways by many people. hehe

I considered it to be a massive expansion to the stock syle of gameplay. it adds close to a 100 new ship hulls. Also many more units. Everything comes with a description of what its best used for. The mod also balances out alot of the problems on stock. However I have left empire design open to min-maxing because I feel designing your mpire should require as much skill and practice and the rest of the game. I have spent 2 years getting my empire perfect, and no you can't see it Very Happy

The one thing about the stock style gameplay that is changed is the engine system. Every engone no matter the tech level only produces 1 movement. Then there are the engine reactors which act as the supply storage and bonus movement for the normal engines. Also how many engine a ship can have is much different. At the start of the game your most basic ships only have 1 movement possible with your engine tech (except scout ships) As you progress in technology the ammount of engine your ships can have grows and peaks at the higher level of Dreadnought. From there movement goes down hill as you enter the baseship and world ship range.

The mod also adds in more lower level weapons in the form of lasers. Just having to choose between the DUC and CSM is very limiting. So 4 new types of lasers were added. The most unique being the Chemical Laser. it can only fire once per combat but delivers a massive blow that dwarfs even the highest level of CSM. They are only 5kt but they pack a punch.

Also PDCs now fire half as much in combat as they do in stock until you research point defense grid. This was done to help extend the usefulness of missile weapons and also emphasize the use of more specialized ship classes such as a point defense ship.

Invasion! also splits players up into 3 races types: Normal, Pirate, and Monster. Normal and pirate are very similar but Pirates are unable to colonize but have advanced ship and base hulls and well as specialized versionsof other tech to make them a balanced race. Monsters are hugely powerful in the first 2/3rds of the game. As the game goes on longer nature cannot keep up with the fast pace of the normal players technological progress. Monsters serve as the catalyst for conflict early in the game where normally players would all just make alliances and there would be no conflict.

Bases also no longer have unlimited supplies, they need to be built over a planet with a resupply depot or they have to have regular supply shipmentsafter they have been in combat.

More later maybe.

Co-Lead of the FrEee project an open-source Space Empires IV clone

Author of Invasion! for Space Empires IV

Black_Knyght
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for the detailed answer. I' d all but given up on even getting a reply, much less a helpful answer. Sounds like it might just be worth downloading and giving a try to.

zeroadunn
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, how does the AI handle all this?

Fyron
Galactic Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is currently no AI for Invasion. Some parts, such as the limited supply for bases, will be impossible to make the AI work well with.

Smarter than your average Texrak.

Black_Knyght
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAMN !!!

A.I.'s and I how had some real issues of late. sounded really interesting too.

Combat_Wombat

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking for people that want to take on the challange of making even a partial AI for Invasion!

I would be forever in their debt

Co-Lead of the FrEee project an open-source Space Empires IV clone

Author of Invasion! for Space Empires IV

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> Invasion Mod All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: