This site is in archival mode. A replacement is being developed. In the meantime, please use the PBW2 Forums for community discussions. The replacement software for this site will use a unified account system with PBW2, and any newly created threads will carry over.
Welcome to Spaceempires.net
Login or Register

Search
Modules
· Content
· Downloads
· Forums
· Game Info
· Image Gallery
· Links
· Shipyards
· Topics
· Staff

User Info
· Welcome, Anonymous
Membership:
· New: Astorre
· New Today: 0
· New Yesterday: 0
· Overall: 3155

People Online:
· Visitors: 141
· Members: 0
· Total: 141

Spaceempires.net :: Tidied up CompEnhancement.txt :: View topic
Forum FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Tidied up CompEnhancement.txt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> Dark Nova Mod
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormy
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:01 am    Post subject: Tidied up CompEnhancement.txt Reply with quote

Hey, Bearclaw. I ended up redoing all your mount descriptions, here is the file if you are interested. I made very few changes to the actual stats and will note them below.

- Consistantly uses same format, all stats are percentile modifiers. 25% damage is written as -75% Damage, 400% Size is written as +300%.

-All stats are in a set order (Cost, Size, Damage, Shields, Accuracy, Range, Structure, Consumption) but are grouped with similiar modifiers. For instance, "+10% Cost, Size and Structure, -5% Damage"

- Removed flavor text, all there is in the descriptions are the stats. The mount names are a pretty good description for what the mount is for. The list is much easier to read like this, and I think it even looks better.

- Supply Usage is phrased 'Consumption'

- Enhanced 'Normal' mounts for some units, like weapon platforms, were renamed 'Standard.' Normal generally means nothing special, whereas something fancy can be the standard.

- Giant mount renamed Gigantic (think it sounds better)

- All AI mounts are called "AI [type] Mount," have AI mount as thier short name and have had thier tags removed so they appear as regular components.

Data Table changes below;

- the stats that were 49% were rounded to 50%. If there is a reason it was 49% I am curious.

- Heavy satellite mount had 300% structure. Certain that it was a typo that was dropped to 175% to bring it in line with other satellite mounts.

- one of the colong mounts had different stats for the damage modifier, certain that it would make zero difference I put it in line with other colony mounts.

http://files.spaceempires.net/user/2726/CompEnhancement.zip

I hope you will like it, I tried to make it an polished as possible. If you want to use it in your mod feel free, and don't worry about credit.

bearclaw

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is wonderful! Thanks! I really do appreiate it and plan on giving full credit where credit is due Smile

A couple of comments just so you are aware. the 49% structures were on purpose. If you apply 50% reduction to something that has 1 kt structure (like a 1 kt Cargo Space component) you end up with a component that has 0 kt structure. In SEIV, that means you've now got an indistructible component and no matter what you try, that ship cannot be destroyed, hence 49% instead of 50%.

There is also a concern about the order of mounts in the file. All the AI's will always apply the LAST applicable mount to any given component placed on a ship, which is why, for example, all the colony module mounts are last in the list. I'm sure that some sorting is definetly needed and will have to test how the AI reacts to the changed order. It's really too bad that AI Tags are not usable on mounts...

I love the other changes. Removing the flavor text and standardizing the descriptions is wonderful. Thank you for this!

Nick (bearclaw)

"You don't know the Power of the Dark Side. I must obey my Master"

Last edited by bearclaw on Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:24 am; edited 1 time in total

bearclaw

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polish is good. Very good.
I've got an item on my fix list to go through the components file and do something similar. With each new version I've done some clean-ups but what I plan on doing next is redoing family numbers for racial components, unique versions of racial components and what I call Enhanced versions (which is if a specific race finds the unique version of their component, they end up with a more powerful version.)

Right now, all 3 types have their own family numbers just because it was easier to get everything added in the beginning. But what I want to do is set them all to the same family number so that you only see the most current version.

Example:
There are 3 versions of organic armor:
Symbiotic Armor (unique version findable by anyone)
Organic Armor (racial version, same as stock except goes to level 5)
Living Armor (what happens when an organic race finds Symbiotic Armor)

As it stands right now, if an organic race found this unique version, they have all 3 available. I want to change the family numbers so that they would only see the best option available unless they were looking at obsolete componets too.

It's a fairly big project but it's on my list for v4.30.

Nick (bearclaw)

Stormy
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, I am glad you like it.

I didn't alter the order of mounts so that they would be used by the AI like you had set it up. (I did a little research, I was gonna move 'em all to the bottom of the list, ideally hidden, but I learned that they would not work if I did)

I see the reasons for the 49%... If I may suggest, put the 51% back on your economy mounts, but leave the description as I put it. 50% is essentially the same thing and I see no need to break the even numbers.

I will make no promises, but I am a tinkerer, I like taking something almost excellent and making it perfect. So there is a chance that I will decide to address the tech families.

bearclaw

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, that's great. That's how DN4 got to be what it is: Lots of input and contributions from those who play.

Nick (bearclaw)

Stormy
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, about that tech thing. What happens if change the family of all organic 1/2/3 techs to the enhanced one? That wouldn't directly affect the requriements would it?

Stormy
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... I phrased that poorly. What I mean is making all three comps all the same family good enough by itself? Or will that screw up other things? (still new to SEIV modding)

Edit - I am ashamed. Extended Range Mount, I mispelled 'Cost' as "Coast"

bearclaw

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly what is needed. When several components have the same family number, whichever component is LAST in the list (and available via tech requirements, etc) is the one that will be available if all obsolete are hidden.

What I was looking at was changing all the family numbers to match the original Stock component (or facilities for that matter).

I tried to keep consistant in having the order already go from:
unique version
stock version
enhanced version

but there might be a few instances where that order isn't quite the case.

Nick (bearclaw)

Stormy
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit - Screwed up the file... will re upload in five minutes.

Gonna be longer than I thought. In order to make tech progression smooth I need to stagger the techs.

Stormy
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Here you go. I am not too sure about this though. My tests all seemed to work, but I am a noob at this and did not spend too much time on it. First I simply changed all the new component families techs to the old families, then I noticed what you said about the order in the file, so I went and sorted them all by basic/standard/advanced, then noticed the weapon family fields and went back. I had expected it to take about twenty minutes, instead I been mucking about all day.

I did a little testing, and it seems to be working for making only the best family of component show up, but I have noticed two possible issues. One, the improved components are not considered direct upgrades for 'upgrading' facilities or ship designs, unless I am mistaken upgrading only works for items with the same name plus a numeral. The second is that I did not go too deep into the sorting, dividing them by tech families, which can lead to some odd things... for instance if you have lvl 5 Singularity Projector and find the Gravimetric Singularity Generator tech, then you will have a level 1 Point Singularity Generator until you put a few more levels in Gravemtric singularity generater.

I started to try and sort them by thier respective abilities and values, but there are too many factors involved to try and further sort them. For instance some of the simple organic armor is much cheaper and stronger but it is lacking the abilites of the advanced stuff.

Another thing I noticed is that the point singularity generator and cannon have 'skip shields' as thier weapon type, but the singularity projector itself does not. Uncertain if this was intentional I left it. Several weapons were of completely wrong types, for instance the Hyper Plasma Blaster was the same family as a shield depleter.

I also tossed in a slightly modified planetsize and sectortype, all this does is change SmallMachineWorld (which always seemed contrived to me) to Artificial. And before you point out that you can make planets, there is a difference between an artificial diamond and artificially making one. (edit - I just tossed this one is because I think it looks better, use it or not, of course)

Also, I have finally found eclipse (it was here after all, rage!) and I have to say that some of the graphics for planets and stars in that mod are phenomenal (even though I hate the wormholes). What are people's take of swiping graphics from someone else's mod? The eclipse project is long since dead and there is no homepage for it even.

Alikiwi
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you do not change the order that each line appears in an entry.

Also you say
Code:
All AI mounts are called "AI [type] Mount," have AI mount as thier short name and have had thier tags removed

You should never remove an AI Tag if it is listed as an ability (not sure this is the case?). It is used so that it is referenced in the designcreation file, to require the AI to use such a component in its designs.

Wow, I didn't realise it had sooo many mounts and weapons! I better re-visit this Mod Wink

Venturing into the unknown

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> Dark Nova Mod All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: