This site is in archival mode. A replacement is being developed. In the meantime, please use the PBW2 Forums for community discussions. The replacement software for this site will use a unified account system with PBW2, and any newly created threads will carry over.
Welcome to Spaceempires.net
Login or Register

Search
Modules
· Content
· Downloads
· Forums
· Game Info
· Image Gallery
· Links
· Shipyards
· Topics
· Staff

User Info
· Welcome, Anonymous
Membership:
· New: Astorre
· New Today: 0
· New Yesterday: 0
· Overall: 3155

People Online:
· Visitors: 70
· Members: 0
· Total: 70

Spaceempires.net :: stock races for STM197 :: View topic
Forum FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

stock races for STM197

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> SEIV AI Modding Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
azacool89
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:02 am    Post subject: stock races for STM197 Reply with quote

Im looking to play a game of startrek 197 using the stock races (with kwayne pics). what does everyone think about what techs ect each race should have...
The only one i want to do so far, would be giving the human pirate tech. Well anything but federation or borg tech anyways. Just look at most sifi and tell me most of the tech, we made lol im all for a friendly trade race but we still need to look at the big picture.
In general a community based race design for the startrek mod. Smile

Atrocities
Shipyard Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be cool to see them with pirate tech. Although I am not sure the pirate tech was ever really finished in the mod.

Also where can we see these with kwayne pics at?

Where we're going we won't need roads.

azacool89
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwayne's pics are in the download section i believe. The human one is my display portrait, and i hope the pirate tech is fully working. BTW did you know the breen deflector shield or engineering (cant remember) increases maintenance instead of decreases it.

Alikiwi
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've checked that file, and Breen deflector shield decrease maintenance costs, they don't have their own Engineering component but the general race one and all other races correctly reduce maitenance!
Perhaps it was something else?

Venturing into the unknown

azacool89
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm i might have a different version to you then. anyways the engineering components is separate in mine and its the "damage control" component that increases instead of reduses the maintenance, and it does that for everyone.

Alikiwi
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, damage control, that is correct! I'll adjust it in my copy...

azacool89
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some other things i would change as well. EG every race has its own "Structural Integrity Field" Component, yet its based on ship construction instead of XYZ Ship construction. 8472 armor also has a +5% maintenance were as most races have only +2%. Pirate Armor comes from the tech "Armor" instead of "XYZ armor" like other races. this is an advantage. The Federation Cloak does not use physics. Not a big one as you will most likely have it anyways. "Borg Repair Drones" and "Tholian Repair Matrix" also increase maintenance.

Panda_the_Pandarian
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be very nice to see some effort put into this mod to update it, or possibly even expand it.

Atrocities
Shipyard Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have considered an an update. Alistair has worked on the AI a bit and cleaned up some of the research file errors. (Much appreciated)

If I can gather enough bug reports together perhaps an update would be in order.

As to expanding it, well what did you have in mind?

Eye_C_U
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one would love to see the Gorns and Andorians and Herogens have their own traits, and maybe make each tech more unique instead of just a renamed version of another one. The mod is really good but it could be greater for sure.

Alikiwi
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Yer, well as I said awhile back I'd considered updating it with AT's permission, mainly tidying up some things, using newer graphics and probably varying the weapons slightly so they aren't all the same. This would mean some new race research areas so that they would become truly race specific.

Time is rather lacking, but if I get a couple of other projects out of the road, between us we can probably cook up a newer version. So throw in any ideas and we can see about adding them in if AT likes them. Wink

Atrocities
Shipyard Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By all means go for it.

I'd love to replace some of the dated component images.

I'd love to add more racial traits... thats what the place holders are there for.

I have a list of bugs and a few things I'd like to rework in the mod that have semi bugged me for a while.

When it came to weapons the problem was a matter of balance. No one race should have been more powerful than the other. Otherwise the game play would be lop sided.

I always wanted to reduce the number of Borg ships down to the ones seen in the movies and TV shows. No fighters, no transports, etc. Up the amounts for the allegiance (assimilation) numbers and then come up with a good counter balance to this. Perhaps cost or other. Not sure where to go with it.

azacool89
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the way the weapons are now. There just flavor names/image ect, the only thing that does change is the mount. That being sed i want to see more races added. iv done this in the past alot of times may basically copying one race and renaming things. i currently play the "Lyran star empire" using a renamed version of the Klingon. I added the phaser and pulse disruptor to them.

Hmmm maybe custom races are in order!
*Picks racial trait "Azacool89 technology"*

For Tarona, The Great Red Sea

Black_Knyght
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing the Lyrans, AND their catamaran hulled ships, would be a very cool addition to the mod. As would the Hydrans and their wedge-shaped ships.

I agree that additional races would be a nice idea. I also think that "varying" things a bit more with the weapons and such is a good idea. balance can be retained through other means than having all the same gear with different names. At's ideas for revising the Borg are a good example of that, and one worth pursuing. Maybe focus on the specific notable strengths and weaknesses of each race as portrayed, and work from there.

Atrocities
Shipyard Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some thoughts about listing out every possible ability, trait, advantage, (tech), etc and then using the list to give each race its own unique attributes. For Example:

Federation -
Pros - Good economics (Planetary Resource Production), military, (Good Defensive, well rounded ships, large selection of ships, and weapons, fair ground defense) Superior propulsions, reduced maintenance costs, good population growth, Diplomacy (peaceful, good trade partners), Faster Research ability.

Cons - Slower at colonizing (Rely upon membership to expand over colonization), Less aggressive, reduced Intel ability (Fewer Intel missions), Reduced remote mining, No cloaking, Poor counter Intel (Open society)

Klingons -
Pros - Very aggressive, Excellent ground combat, Better ship maneuverability, Better weapon mount (power) Cloaking ability, superior remote mining capability (Slave labor), Moderate selection of ships. Greater Range smaller ships.

Cons - Reduced Planetary Resource Production, higher ship maintenance costs, shorter range weapons, less accurate weapons, slower research ability, Poor diplomacy (weak trade), Poor Intel ability both esp, and counter esp.

Romulans -

Pros - Very good Intel operations, Cloaking, Larger main capital ships, Average weapons, Superior plasma torps, Average planetary resource production. Average remote mining production (slave mining). Longer range medium sized ships. Average ship maintenance costs.

Cons - Poor diplomacy (Trade, etc), slower colonization (Xenophobic), lower number of ships types, higher ship costs.

Dominion
Ferengi
Gorn
Hirogen
Borg
etc

I have also been kicking around a few ideas for propulsion systems, weapons systems, and so forth.

We know that the Federation doesn't really use fighters, but perhaps another race does. Some races could have better smaller, medium, or larger ships with greater range based upon KT. IE, Feds have greater range larger ships, while the Klingons would have better range smaller ships with a reduced build cost.

Everything from weapons to shield ratings could be tweaked for each race. Feds have superior shields, but weaker weapons. Klingons have both good shields and strong weapons but less accurate and shorter range.

The romulans have good shields and longer range weapons.

To distinguish between different weapons types, have pulse weapons fire once every turn, but make them, medium range very accurate and weaker. While directed energy beam weapons (phasers) fire every 2nd turn and are more powerful and have a greater range. Torpedo weapons fire every 3rd turn, are medium range, and very very powerful.

These were just some thoughts I had before I stopped updating the mod. I have implemented them into the Star Wars Mod but have never really gotten around to finishing that mod. though

Black_Knyght
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BINGO !

I think you hit the mark dead on with that! That exactly the kind of balancing that can be done to make each race more unique and interesting.

azacool89
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i believe the current set up with the first two weapons is the most effective... the phaser and pulse phaser that is...
my reasoning is only the ships have a different version. all bases have the same version (reactor mount). Defense placements are all around the same toughness to crack. ships on the other hand are not.

On the fighters thing, Hydran... all the way...and the fed should have shuttle bays on all ships.

in my view...

=Lyran=
Pros: Point defense weapons, strong late game shield (ESG), phasers and disruptor, reduced maintenance costs(each ship funded by a clan), larger small ships, Slave labor

Cons: UNHAPPINESS (civil wars/ clan wars), very weak early shields, Poor diplomacy (Trade, etc), Poor counter Intel (Too much strife) dependence on minerals (slow construction)

?: there was never cloaking in starfleet so do they get one or not.

azacool89
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bit off topic here so we can continue from here in this forum.
http://www.spaceempires.net/ftopicp-59763.html#59763

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> SEIV AI Modding Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: