This site is in archival mode. A replacement is being developed. In the meantime, please use the PBW2 Forums for community discussions. The replacement software for this site will use a unified account system with PBW2, and any newly created threads will carry over.
Welcome to Spaceempires.net
Login or Register

Search
Modules
· Content
· Downloads
· Forums
· Game Info
· Image Gallery
· Links
· Shipyards
· Topics
· Staff

User Info
· Welcome, Anonymous
Membership:
· New: Astorre
· New Today: 0
· New Yesterday: 0
· Overall: 3155

People Online:
· Visitors: 263
· Members: 0
· Total: 263

Spaceempires.net :: Known Issues in v1.19 Series :: View topic
Forum FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Known Issues in v1.19 Series
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
UncleFester
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrike wrote:
Can the turn rate in combat be influenced? it's downright silly to see a 15 speed frigate being unable to catch a 7 speed freighter in simultaneous games. The freighter can turn faster than the frigate, so it manages to edge out of range indefinitely.

What Shoe said...

Your problem isn't that the frigate can't turn with the freighter. It's that the frigate is TRYING to stay so far away, the freighters turn puts it just out of range. Change the enagement ranage and the frigate will move in closer before turning away to keep range constant.

You may want to change the range setting only for the ship types that are causing the problem. Charging in on a warship is usually a "not recommended procedure", unless you've built a special-purpose short-range ship...

All your colony belong to us!

MadDog
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:05 am    Post subject: resource reporting Reply with quote

I noticed an earlier post talking about resources not being subtracted as forcasted from the reserves, specificly organics and radioactives. I've noticed this also. And I can't seem to get enough radioactives, even though I keep building more and more of the facilities. So I went through my colonies and added up the amounts from each one, accounting for facility level and planet value. at the point in which I'm writing this, I should have 134,922 rads but it only reports 90,108 rads. It is similar with organics, I should have 44,462 but it only reports 35,174. However, it seems that it is reporting too much Minerals, I checked just to see, and I added up 219,154 and it is reporting 267,761. I dont have any resourse converters, still pretty early in game.

MadDog
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject: previous posting Reply with quote

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Those figures I posted above are per turn production, not what is in treasury.

Shoe
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you accuonting for your racial bonuses and population levels?

Person(s) denying the existence of killer robots may be killer robots themselves.

MadDog
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: oops Reply with quote

oh yeah i forgot...i dont normally use those racial characteristics, but on this game I put the negative organics and radioactives, and positive minerals. LOL I screwed myself Sad shoulda kept rads normal and only neg organics.

MadDog
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: riots Reply with quote

does having troops stationed on a planet help quell riots or control mood? because they should, I think. You know like marshal law.

Shoe
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Troops can help quell unrest, and are particularly useful in battlefield systems and conquered planets. It doesnt matter what equipment the troop has - you can create swarms of weak 'police' troops if you desire. I prefer to use a budget 'Garrison' troop instead.

ATM, this is pretty much the only reason to use troops over fighters.

Person(s) denying the existence of killer robots may be killer robots themselves.

MadDog
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:26 am    Post subject: I was just thinking.... Reply with quote

I like to play as a mechanoid race that comes from an atmosphereless, rock world. I use master computers...we ARE mechanoid. However I noticed that on smaller ships, for example collony ships, you only need so many crew and a bridge altogether equaling 40K hull space, but the master computer is 50K hull space. So, it is to my advantage, on ships requiring less that 300 crew, to use crew support and bridge instead of MC. However I was considering the origins of my race and their lack of atmosphere, and was wondering why would they need to have "life support" systems on the ship when they thrive on NO atmosphere? Is it possible to simply scale the size of MC to the size of the ship? that would make more sense if possible.

Shoe
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that's part of the concept of the MC. It's more efficient on big ships and less efficient on small ships, as opposed to crew which has fixed efficiency.

Life support covers a lot more than atmosphere. Toilets, food, rum rations...

ekolis
Virtual Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, the master computer is unique in BM as the only component that gets smaller as it levels up... a level 2 MC takes 40kT, and at level 3 it takes only 30kT.

Where'd you get the 40kT of hull space for standard C&C, though? Bridge=10kT, lifesupport=2x5kT, crewquarters=2x5kT... that's only 30kT... are you actually using the auxiliary control? That thing is pretty useless... just put your bridge and one LS and CQ in the inner hull, and you're practically immune to "critical hits" until your ship is about dead anyway, due to SE5's wonky damage model! That's why in my Stellar Warfare mod, I made bridges go only in outer hull... you need a fancy "battle bridge" if you want to put it in the inner hull!

That's no space station - it's a spreadsheet!

MadDog
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: PO'ed Reply with quote

Man I'm really pissed. I've been playing a game vs 8 hard comps and just about to start coming out of defense and go on offense. Suddenly, the game starts locking up at the end of the "processing all player turns" screen. anyone ran into this?

StellarRat
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: PO'ed Reply with quote

MadDog wrote:
Man I'm really pissed. I've been playing a game vs 8 hard comps and just about to start coming out of defense and go on offense. Suddenly, the game starts locking up at the end of the "processing all player turns" screen. anyone ran into this?
I've heard of this and there is a trick to get out of it. I can't remember what it is. Maybe loading an older save? Anyone?

CaptainKwok
Balance Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a couple different types of hangs. If it hangs during an AI's player turn, it's an issue with their AI script, which can be identified and corrected. If it hangs at end turn processing, then there's some issue with the game. Sometimes this type of hang is transient and will only occur once, that is you can re-run the turn and it will be fine. Other times it's unavoidable, but sometimes it still can be fixed. If you have a repeatable end turn hang, send the save game file to savegame at captainkwok dot net. Let me know if you're using any custom ship sets etc.

Space Empires Depot | SE:V Balance Mod

NickWest
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Captain Kwok, I sent this to you in an email but later realized it was better off here)
I played a fun game of BM1.19g this weekend and have some feedback about things I saw (Hard, no bonus, 500k starting tech):

1. Auto complete doesn't use a solar sail, not that big of a deal for the human player, except I think the AI uses the same functionality to build its ships so...

2. An AI homeworld (Large, Breathable) that I conquered had one weapons platform and was FULL of ground troops (full based on looking at the blue bar in the system overlay). Maybe if fighters/platforms/troops were each at most limited to 50% of the total planetary max that would help ensure adequate defenses? I think this because two more weapon platforms or a dozen more fighters on the enemy world would have stopped my attack cold.

3. The AI didn't do as well in the "land rush" phase of the game as I would have hoped. If it doesn't have it already, perhaps some logic to look for choke points. It should be a bit simpler if playing in a "cluster" galaxy as clusters seem to come in stargroups of 8 and with often have only one or two WP exits from a cluster.

inigma
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed in tactical combat that the computer doesn't anticipate where ships will be, and instead of closing the distance by doing a sharper turn, the chasing ship winds up chasing the slower victim in a large circle until the end of the combat round.

I think it's because the attacking ship is constantly updating its navigation to the present position of the enemy, rather then leading his navigation toward the projected enemy path. This results in a slower fleeing ship doing circles around the pursuer, but if the pursuer were to do a sharper turn, it would immediately close some distance in the gap, to the point of even opening fire.

WilliamTheBat
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "spiral of uselessness" is caused by the attacking ship veering aside to attempt a maximum-range engagement, which is smart if the opposing ship has shorter range weapons and is coming in for the kill. The fleeing ship then turns the other way to maximize distance.. and the attacking ship isn't smart enough to say "fleeing enemy = close in for kill".

Hence the spiral of uselessness.

Shrike
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As suggested higher in this thread, you'll need to change the strategy for the intercepting ship type. Silly but necessary.

CaptainKwok
Balance Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickWest wrote:
1. Auto complete doesn't use a solar sail, not that big of a deal for the human player, except I think the AI uses the same functionality to build its ships so...

The AI will use solar sails, but typically on ships larger than 600kT.

NickWest wrote:
2. An AI homeworld (Large, Breathable) that I conquered had one weapons platform and was FULL of ground troops (full based on looking at the blue bar in the system overlay). Maybe if fighters/platforms/troops were each at most limited to 50% of the total planetary max that would help ensure adequate defenses? I think this because two more weapon platforms or a dozen more fighters on the enemy world would have stopped my attack cold.

There are target amounts for each unit type on a planet. I'm not sure why in this case they didn't have many Weapon Platforms, but I'll look into improving their distribution.

NickWest wrote:
3. The AI didn't do as well in the "land rush" phase of the game as I would have hoped. If it doesn't have it already, perhaps some logic to look for choke points. It should be a bit simpler if playing in a "cluster" galaxy as clusters seem to come in stargroups of 8 and with often have only one or two WP exits from a cluster.

It's difficult to identify choke points because the AI doesn't get to see the arrangement of the systems on the quadrant map. It does have a routine to identify borders, but that doesn't help much for colonization because it's definition is based on established colonies.

Providing the AI a low bonus will help improve their colonization rate. AI empires are not as effective at exploring or leapfrogging as most human players, but given a few extra ships they can close the gap.

NickWest
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptainKwok wrote:

NickWest wrote:

It's difficult to identify choke points because the AI doesn't get to see the arrangement of the systems on the quadrant map. It does have a routine to identify borders, but that doesn't help much for colonization because it's definition is based on established colonies.

Providing the AI a low bonus will help improve their colonization rate. AI empires are not as effective at exploring or leapfrogging as most human players, but given a few extra ships they can close the gap.

Can the AI tell if two systems are connected? If it can discern that you could use that info to build up a graph on which you could do some calculations to figure out what systems an AI should try for.

More or less I would imagine that you are trying to minimize the number of warp points to defend, while maximizing the number of systems controlled where the number of systems you need to control are no more than two jumps away from any currently owned system. (There are some edge cases or fudge factors when two things are almost equal, but that's the general case)

Some of those assumptions might not be true past the "land rush" phase, but it might give the AI a better & more defensible start.

Lorq13
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a game I am playing against the AI, many of my ships are changing designs without my consent. I have many warships becoming minesweepers; and I have not asked for or wanted this change, nor are they located at a spaceport to facilitate the change.

Actually, the ships are named a design I never made, and are of the class they are supposed to be. The name they are using I have not used in this game at all.

NickWest
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a minister on that would do something like that? Did you edit any of the game data files in the middle of a running game?

TheThirdEye
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely sounds like the Ship Design minister is on (the bastard), and the Retrofit minister.
What I want to know is how do I tell Ship Design how to build my ships? I know it's in the scripts, but which ones? I would Love to have it design my ships automatically, but they are all useless. How do I change the base designs for my race?

ekolis
Virtual Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would involve editing and compiling AI scripts for your shipset... doable, but is it worth it? Maybe, maybe not Wink

That's no space station - it's a spreadsheet!

CaptainKwok
Balance Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue is not related to the design minister. It sounds like the "design index" in the game got corrupted, mixing up the player's designs.

CamoAlien
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:21 am    Post subject: Ground Combat Reply with quote

I haven't tested this, just noticed it the other day:

I had blockaded the Jraenar Homeworld with 2 missle boats/ PD and a crap load of tier 1.3 fighters, armed with a small acid glob.

The fighters (Smea II) crushed the enemies defense fighters, 4 ships, 1 defense base, 10 satellites, then on to planet (told them to destroy only all the weapons platforms). Everything went great, with all the defenses gone, I sent my Welcome-Wagon (tier 1.2 cargo) for the ground assault.

Turn compiled, ground combat begins. 1st thing I noticed was that my troops were floating was above the ground... huh wierd
But when we engaged, I found that I could run circles around the ground troops - mine were SO much faster. Which was really weird because I only gave them 1 engine to pack more organic armor on.

Thats when I noticed they weren't troops, they were fighters!
I was able to vastly outpace the enemy, and slightly outranged their ground cannons that almost always missed at max range. I eventually ran out of ammo and had to send in a 2nd wave next turn.

So, are fighters suppose to be able to engage in ground combat? I used the Analyzor to glance at the differences: 30atk/60 def on the light tier 3 fighters, having 10kt of space when filled with engines
vs the tier 1.3 troops 0atk/30def with 9kt of open space.

The fighters continue to climb in free space compared to the troops. The only advantage I could find is that troops are 1/2 ~ 2/3 the cost; filling more room costs more!
This is incredible to me, mobile planet assault squads - After the fighters blockade a planet they can be loaded into a cargo ship at the planet and immediately sent to take it. Once one planet is taken, it can produce more planetary assault vessels that can fly them selves within the system.

http://www.spaceempires.net/downloads-file-833.html
BM1.19g Dynamic Ship Analyzor v2.6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> Balance Mod All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 7 of 20

Jump to: