This site is in archival mode. A replacement is being developed. In the meantime, please use the PBW2 Forums for community discussions. The replacement software for this site will use a unified account system with PBW2, and any newly created threads will carry over.
Welcome to Spaceempires.net
Login or Register

Search
Modules
· Content
· Downloads
· Forums
· Game Info
· Image Gallery
· Links
· Shipyards
· Topics
· Staff

User Info
· Welcome, Anonymous
Membership:
· New: Astorre
· New Today: 0
· New Yesterday: 0
· Overall: 3155

People Online:
· Visitors: 93
· Members: 0
· Total: 93

Spaceempires.net :: Can you use the BSG mod in simultaneous play? :: View topic
Forum FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Can you use the BSG mod in simultaneous play?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> Battlestar Galactica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kingside_Bishop
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:58 pm    Post subject: Can you use the BSG mod in simultaneous play? Reply with quote

Hi!

I had a quick question about the BSG mod -- can you use it (specifically its FTL system) in simultaneous play? Apparently, you can't give a ship a warp order unless you're doing so in a location with an existing warp point. But, during a player's turn, no warp points exist, so you can't give any warp orders, regardless of the fact that during turn generation, you may have issued a "create warp point" order via the FTL drive.

Does this make the BSG mod basically unplayable in simultaneous play? Or am I missing something?

Thanks!

isopsyco

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never tested it for simul, however, the player selects the system they want to FTL to which then opens a nav marker (Warp point). The computer AI I have re-written to effectively have a FTL/warp point network of connected systems in which they have colonies. The AI then uses scouts to check other systems using the same commands as stated earlier (select system, open FTL warp point and warp to system).

FRAK FRACKING FRAK...universal adjectives lowers your vocabulary...

Kingside_Bishop
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've tested it, and it definitely works in turn-based games. You select the system, which creates the point, and then you can warp through it before it closes at the end of the turn. But you literally cannot give a warp order in a hex that doesn't have a warp point, and since the warp point won't be created until after all player orders have been given, and will disappear before the player can give any more orders, warp orders cannot be given.

So I guess the answer is no, then. Which is too bad, 'cuz it's a cool mod, and it'd be fun to play in a multiplayer game.

TheThirdEye
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The solution 'may' be as simple as the one for that problem in SEIV. Give the order to warp though some warp point on the map and then delete the move-to order. You may have to play with moving away/back to the sector you're on, because of timing. I'm not sure about the timing of WP-Creation in SEV.
This Did work for creating a warp point going through it and closing it behind you, in SEIV in simo, but the timing is probably different, because it's being done through scripts. Depends when the script(s) gets run.

isopsyco

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheThirdEye wrote:
The solution 'may' be as simple as the one for that problem in SEIV. Give the order to warp though some warp point on the map and then delete the move-to order. You may have to play with moving away/back to the sector you're on, because of timing. I'm not sure about the timing of WP-Creation in SEV.
This Did work for creating a warp point going through it and closing it behind you, in SEIV in simo, but the timing is probably different, because it's being done through scripts. Depends when the script(s) gets run.

The AI scripts for each empire get run before thier turn (actually it IS there turn) for the player, the scripts only run if they have some AI administrators selected.

Suppose i could create an AI administrator for FTL use so the scripts could run accordingly. I do have something like that in effect already.

marhawkman
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you put anything in that can make jump points stay open indefinately?

isopsyco

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marhawkman wrote:
did you put anything in that can make jump points stay open indefinately?

No, I did think about using some type of internal tag system to name the WPs, but it would have to executed after the creation and I don't know of any trick to execute scripts after someones turn.

marhawkman
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a "nav beacon" component that lets a warp remain open indefinately?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> Battlestar Galactica All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: