This site is in archival mode. A replacement is being developed. In the meantime, please use the PBW2 Forums for community discussions. The replacement software for this site will use a unified account system with PBW2, and any newly created threads will carry over.
Welcome to Spaceempires.net
Login or Register

Search
Modules
· Content
· Downloads
· Forums
· Game Info
· Image Gallery
· Links
· Shipyards
· Topics
· Staff

User Info
· Welcome, Anonymous
Membership:
· New: Astorre
· New Today: 0
· New Yesterday: 0
· Overall: 3155

People Online:
· Visitors: 80
· Members: 0
· Total: 80

Spaceempires.net :: SE Nova Mod Ship Tree :: View topic
Forum FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

SE Nova Mod Ship Tree
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> Space Empires Nova Mod
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ekolis
Virtual Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Close-range penalty? You mean like if you're firing at less than an optimal range (specific to the weapon perhaps), the to-hit chances go way down? Not sure how the combat AI would handle that (isn't "optimal range" just a specific range set in Settings.txt?), but it would be cool... and certainly doable, seeing as the to-hit modifier at range is a formula in SE5, unlike in SE4 Wink

Though, I do think the Settings.txt allows you to specify at least two (maybe three) "engagement ranges" for use in strategies - optimal range, plus either point blank or long range, or maybe both... maybe if you set all your weapons' "optimal" values to one of those, then the combat AI could handle it!

E.g. you set point blank to 20km, optimal to 40km, and long to 80km, and then all your weapons have a dropoff in to-hit chances at ranges less than those ranges - 20km for ripper beams and smaller weapons; 40km for most standard weapons; 80km for wave motion guns and missiles - well, OK, missiles always hit, so you can just reduce their *damage* saying they haven't armed yet! Wink

That's no space station - it's a spreadsheet!

Zastaver
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekolis wrote:
E.g. you set point blank to 20km, optimal to 40km, and long to 80km, and then all your weapons have a dropoff in to-hit chances at ranges less than those ranges - 20km for ripper beams and smaller weapons; 40km for most standard weapons; 80km for wave motion guns and missiles - well, OK, missiles always hit, so you can just reduce their *damage* saying they haven't armed yet! Wink

nice idea. also we need a Kinetic kill missles that maule ships up close.

Ender
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekolis wrote:
Though, I do think the Settings.txt allows you to specify at least two (maybe three) "engagement ranges" for use in strategies - optimal range, plus either point blank or long range, or maybe both...

There are 3 values: short, medium and long. Point blank is just point blank, I believe, so it does not need a setting. It would be nice to have more options than 3, though, as it would make strategies more flexible.

CaptainKwok
Balance Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the latest ship chart:
Code:
Nova Mod Ship Tree

Construction (1)
  - Light Ship Construction (6)
      (1)  Frigate 200kT; Colony Ship 400kT; Small Freighter 400kT
      (2)  Destroyer 350kT; Light Carrier 500kT
      (3)  Frigate 225kT; Colony Ship 450kT; Small Freighter 450kT
      (4)  Destroyer 375kT; Light Carrier 600kT
      (5)  Frigate 250kT; Colony Ship 500kT; Small Freighter 500kT
      (6)  Destroyer 400kT; Light Carrier 700kT
  - Small Base Construction (6)
      (1)  Small Space Station 500kT
      (2)  Small Space Station 550kT
      (3)  Small Space Station 600kT
      (4)  Small Space Station 650kT
      (5)  Small Space Station 700kT
      (6)  Small Space Station 750kT

Construction (2)
  - Medium Ship Construction (6)
      (1)  Light Cruiser 500kT; Medium Freighter 800kT
      (2)  Cruiser 700kT; Carrier 900kT
      (3)  Light Cruiser 550kT; Medium Freighter 900kT
      (4)  Cruiser 800kT; Carrier 1050kT
      (5)  Light Cruiser 600kT; Medium Freighter 1000kT
      (6)  Cruiser 900kT; Carrier 1200kT
  - Large Base Construction (6)
      (1)  Large Space Station 1000kT
      (2)  Large Space Station 1100kT
      (3)  Large Space Station 1200kT
      (4)  Large Space Station 1300kT
      (5)  Large Space Station 1400kT
      (6)  Large Space Station 1500kT

Construction (3)
  - Heavy Ship Construction (6)
      (1)  Battleship 1000kT; Large Freighter 1200kT
      (2)  Dreadnought 1500kT; Heavy Carrier 1600kT
      (3)  Battleship 1125kT; Large Freighter 1350kT
      (4)  Dreadnought 1650kT; Heavy Carrier 1800kT
      (5)  Battleship 1250kT; Large Freighter 1500kT
      (6)  Dreadnought 1800kT; Heavy Carrier 2000kT

Construction (4)
  - Baseship Construction (3)
      (1)  Baseship 2500kT
      (2)  Baseship 2750kT
      (3)  Baseship 3000kT
  - Starbase Construction (6)
      (1)  Starbase 3000kT
      (2)  Starbase 3200kT
      (3)  Starbase 3400kT
      (4)  Starbase 3600kT
      (5)  Starbase 3800kT
      (6)  Starbase 4000kT

Space Empires Depot | SE:V Balance Mod

Krakatos
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see with great pleasure that you have increased the size difference between small and large ships in this latest draft.

While I am not a regular in this forum, I have played all the versions of your balance mod, but I have always been annoyed by the small size difference between various ship classes.

I will go even further and ask you this though. Is there any particular reason you would be against making the end-game ships (heavy ships, baseships, starbases) capable of reaching even bigger sizes? Like, allowing them a couple more tech level or something (up to level 8 for heavy ships and starbases, level 4-5 for baseships)

I do not think such a change would actually add imbalance to the game. After all, with the tracking problems, increasing research and construction costs and the like, and their defense malus, big ships are not really unbalacing. At least in my opinion, it's much more imbalanced how small ships generally are. I ask this mainly in the interest of being an rp-er, who simply enjoys having big ships in the game, disregarding the fact they're not THAT effective.

MoonshineFox
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if turret tracking is implemented in SEV, but if it isn't, getting any kind of EVE-like hit-system will be a pain in the neck. It will lead to either overpowered large ships, or useless large ships, depending on the range you are at.

Even a Dreadnaught in EVE can oneshot a Frigate if it's sitting still. If it moves...not so much. Turret tracking comes into the picture here.

I'm at work, so I can't verify, but this guide should explain tracking sufficiently.

Journier
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a dreadnaught is not larger than a Battleship people...

just because the name sounds cool doesnt make it bigger.

please stop this naming destruction of historical sizes of ships.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> Space Empires Nova Mod All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: