This site is in archival mode. A replacement is being developed. In the meantime, please use the PBW2 Forums for community discussions. The replacement software for this site will use a unified account system with PBW2, and any newly created threads will carry over.
Joined: Aug 04, 2003 Location: Cincinnati, OH, USA
Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:34 pm Post subject:
Close-range penalty? You mean like if you're firing at less than an optimal range (specific to the weapon perhaps), the to-hit chances go way down? Not sure how the combat AI would handle that (isn't "optimal range" just a specific range set in Settings.txt?), but it would be cool... and certainly doable, seeing as the to-hit modifier at range is a formula in SE5, unlike in SE4
Though, I do think the Settings.txt allows you to specify at least two (maybe three) "engagement ranges" for use in strategies - optimal range, plus either point blank or long range, or maybe both... maybe if you set all your weapons' "optimal" values to one of those, then the combat AI could handle it!
E.g. you set point blank to 20km, optimal to 40km, and long to 80km, and then all your weapons have a dropoff in to-hit chances at ranges less than those ranges - 20km for ripper beams and smaller weapons; 40km for most standard weapons; 80km for wave motion guns and missiles - well, OK, missiles always hit, so you can just reduce their *damage* saying they haven't armed yet! That's no space station - it's a spreadsheet! Back to top
E.g. you set point blank to 20km, optimal to 40km, and long to 80km, and then all your weapons have a dropoff in to-hit chances at ranges less than those ranges - 20km for ripper beams and smaller weapons; 40km for most standard weapons; 80km for wave motion guns and missiles - well, OK, missiles always hit, so you can just reduce their *damage* saying they haven't armed yet!
nice idea. also we need a Kinetic kill missles that maule ships up close. Back to top
Though, I do think the Settings.txt allows you to specify at least two (maybe three) "engagement ranges" for use in strategies - optimal range, plus either point blank or long range, or maybe both...
There are 3 values: short, medium and long. Point blank is just point blank, I believe, so it does not need a setting. It would be nice to have more options than 3, though, as it would make strategies more flexible. Back to top
- Light Ship Construction (6)
(1) Frigate 200kT; Colony Ship 400kT; Small Freighter 400kT
(2) Destroyer 350kT; Light Carrier 500kT
(3) Frigate 225kT; Colony Ship 450kT; Small Freighter 450kT
(4) Destroyer 375kT; Light Carrier 600kT
(5) Frigate 250kT; Colony Ship 500kT; Small Freighter 500kT
(6) Destroyer 400kT; Light Carrier 700kT
- Small Base Construction (6)
(1) Small Space Station 500kT
(2) Small Space Station 550kT
(3) Small Space Station 600kT
(4) Small Space Station 650kT
(5) Small Space Station 700kT
(6) Small Space Station 750kT
- Medium Ship Construction (6)
(1) Light Cruiser 500kT; Medium Freighter 800kT
(2) Cruiser 700kT; Carrier 900kT
(3) Light Cruiser 550kT; Medium Freighter 900kT
(4) Cruiser 800kT; Carrier 1050kT
(5) Light Cruiser 600kT; Medium Freighter 1000kT
(6) Cruiser 900kT; Carrier 1200kT
- Large Base Construction (6)
(1) Large Space Station 1000kT
(2) Large Space Station 1100kT
(3) Large Space Station 1200kT
(4) Large Space Station 1300kT
(5) Large Space Station 1400kT
(6) Large Space Station 1500kT
- Heavy Ship Construction (6)
(1) Battleship 1000kT; Large Freighter 1200kT
(2) Dreadnought 1500kT; Heavy Carrier 1600kT
(3) Battleship 1125kT; Large Freighter 1350kT
(4) Dreadnought 1650kT; Heavy Carrier 1800kT
(5) Battleship 1250kT; Large Freighter 1500kT
(6) Dreadnought 1800kT; Heavy Carrier 2000kT
I see with great pleasure that you have increased the size difference between small and large ships in this latest draft.
While I am not a regular in this forum, I have played all the versions of your balance mod, but I have always been annoyed by the small size difference between various ship classes.
I will go even further and ask you this though. Is there any particular reason you would be against making the end-game ships (heavy ships, baseships, starbases) capable of reaching even bigger sizes? Like, allowing them a couple more tech level or something (up to level 8 for heavy ships and starbases, level 4-5 for baseships)
I do not think such a change would actually add imbalance to the game. After all, with the tracking problems, increasing research and construction costs and the like, and their defense malus, big ships are not really unbalacing. At least in my opinion, it's much more imbalanced how small ships generally are. I ask this mainly in the interest of being an rp-er, who simply enjoys having big ships in the game, disregarding the fact they're not THAT effective. Back to top
I don't know if turret tracking is implemented in SEV, but if it isn't, getting any kind of EVE-like hit-system will be a pain in the neck. It will lead to either overpowered large ships, or useless large ships, depending on the range you are at.
Even a Dreadnaught in EVE can oneshot a Frigate if it's sitting still. If it moves...not so much. Turret tracking comes into the picture here.
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum You cannot attach files in this forum You can download files in this forum
All logos and trademarks used on this site, all comments and stories posted for reading, all files hosted for download, and all art work hosted for viewing are property of their respective owners; all the rest copyright 2003-2010 Nolan Kelly.
Syndicate news: - Syndicate forums:
Page Generation: 0.25 Seconds