This site is in archival mode. A replacement is being developed. In the meantime, please use the PBW2 Forums for community discussions. The replacement software for this site will use a unified account system with PBW2, and any newly created threads will carry over.
Welcome to Spaceempires.net
Login or Register

Search
Modules
· Content
· Downloads
· Forums
· Game Info
· Image Gallery
· Links
· Shipyards
· Topics
· Staff

User Info
· Welcome, Anonymous
Membership:
· New: OAKSIF0
· New Today: 0
· New Yesterday: 0
· Overall: 3153

People Online:
· Visitors: 109
· Members: 0
· Total: 109

Spaceempires.net :: DN4.27 AI question :: View topic
Forum FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

DN4.27 AI question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> Dark Nova Mod
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theRedCimmerian
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: DN4.27 AI question Reply with quote

I noticed that the minimum and desired speed of mine layers (well, just about everything except transports) are both 0. If I changed these to say 3 and 6 for the various layers, would this help? (force AI to design ships that will move)

Also, I see that there is a restriction of 3 External moorings on a ship. Is there a way to make the AI follow the restrictions?

And lastly, is there a way to add a minimum (and/or max) cargo ability to the various carrying ships based on a percentage of the hull size?

I notice in the components that:
Solar Sail 3
Ability 1 Type := Extra Movement Generation
Ability 1 Descr := Generates 3 bonus movement points (only 1 component per ship effective).
Ability 1 Val 1 := 3
Ability 1 Val 2 := 1

Hydrogen Booster:
Ability 1 Type := Extra Movement Generation
Ability 1 Descr := Generates 1 extra movement.
Ability 1 Val 1 := 1
Ability 1 Val 2 := 2

If the hydrogen booster Val 2 is changed to 1, will this solve the AI problem because the booster will really work just like an additional engine?

bearclaw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'll only help as long as the AI is using Chemical Rockets. Because DN4 engines give more than 1 movement point and various ship size need several movement points per move, changing that setting causes different problems later on in the game.

All engines have AI tags and all AI ships designs should be utilizing those AI tags in order to place a specified # of engines instead of looking for specificed # of movement points.

Nick (bearclaw)

"You don't know the Power of the Dark Side. I must obey my Master"

bearclaw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The External Moorings has been a thorn for some time now. I have no idea how to keep the AI obeying those restrictions. I belive that is an issue with the hardcoding. At least, that's what it appears to be.

Nick (bearclaw)

theRedCimmerian
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that the AI Tag is added directly to the ability list of the component. I was looking in the carrier wars 1.6b and one other one (I forget which) in both of those the AI Tag was defined in each of the AI_DesignCreation files.

I guess defining them in the components file makes the AI Tag more generic?

theRedCimmerian
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the way to fix the external mooring issue is to remove the mine laying ability from the current version and create a second type that incorporates mine laying and has some cargo space.

Also, if cargo space were a secondary ability will it count the cargo capacity of the old mine layer comp, or just cargo holds?

Perhaps there is a way to simply not allow the AI to use external moorings in a mine or satellite layer, but have a design that specifically uses those items when the technology is found (and turns off the old style). Since the size is much smaller, it should be possible to limit by space. And maybe limit mine layers to cruiser and smaller.

bearclaw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would work but the issue comes up of being able to create a component that is only for AI use or components for only players

Nick (bearclaw)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> Dark Nova Mod All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: