This site is in archival mode. A replacement is being developed. In the meantime, please use the PBW2 Forums for community discussions. The replacement software for this site will use a unified account system with PBW2, and any newly created threads will carry over.
Welcome to Spaceempires.net
Login or Register

Search
Modules
· Content
· Downloads
· Forums
· Game Info
· Image Gallery
· Links
· Shipyards
· Topics
· Staff

User Info
· Welcome, Anonymous
Membership:
· New: Tiregan
· New Today: 0
· New Yesterday: 0
· Overall: 3154

People Online:
· Visitors: 159
· Members: 0
· Total: 159

Spaceempires.net :: Feedback needed on Satellite sizes :: View topic
Forum FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Feedback needed on Satellite sizes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> Dark Nova Mod
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bearclaw

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Feedback needed on Satellite sizes Reply with quote

Currently, DN5 has one satellite hull type for each racial type. It has 20 levels with a kt range from 50 to 290.

But it occured to me that there might be a need for smaller than current sizes of satellites. I'm wondering if I should change Satellite size progression like most other vehicles are in Dark Nova 5 now. That is, each level of Satellite research would open up another tech area allowing someone to specialize in a specific size of satellite (tiny, small, medium, large, huge), or is something like that just not necessary for satillites?

I'm doing this for weapon platforms because sometimes you'll need to build a smaller weapon platform to fit on the remaining space on a planet, but satellites...

I'm just not sure if it's worth putting the work into something like this for satellites if it's not needed.

Feedback welcome. (and needed)

Nick (bearclaw)

"You don't know the Power of the Dark Side. I must obey my Master"

Astorax
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me you would only really ever use 3 different types of satellite. First, the bare bones Sensor Sat which only has the dual sensors + core. That one would fit on the smallest sat size out, I imagine. The second is the Supply Sat, perhaps, and that need not be overly large either. The third type would be the largest you can get to cram whatever weapons for WP defense or planet defense. Probably some form of seeker, or if at a WP, maybe a large scale DF weapon.

Personally, I wouldn't take time out from all the other, more important, stuff to tweak this. Its just not that important really. To be honest, the only sat I ever use is the Sensor Sat. For everything else I use either fighters/bases or just use ships.

Upto you of course.

TeddyBar
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bearclaw,
I hope you might find some value in my reply. I have however not played a great deal.

From what I have seen everything is too linear, research this get this, research this more get it smaller bigger etc.

For example, I think that all items, every piece manufactured, should benefit directly from miniaturisation research. Where applicable that might mean that the item takes up fractional less tonnage space for the same benefit, such as a gun on a fighter. The cost of something is reduced.

In the case of having smaller Satellites, they can only be attained by X level in Satellite design and X level in miniaturisation.

The thinking here is that as in real life things start as a certain size and only through research directly on the field and through breakthrough's in other fields can we make something smaller.

I would like to see a more intertwined tech tree that rewards mutliple research threads happening and made the player less self sufficient in research, that is, having to steal and or trade it.

Cheers,

Teddy Bär

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> Dark Nova Mod All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: