This site is in archival mode. A replacement is being developed. In the meantime, please use the PBW2 Forums for community discussions. The replacement software for this site will use a unified account system with PBW2, and any newly created threads will carry over.
Welcome to Spaceempires.net
Login or Register

Search
Modules
· Content
· Downloads
· Forums
· Game Info
· Image Gallery
· Links
· Shipyards
· Topics
· Staff

User Info
· Welcome, Anonymous
Membership:
· New: OAKSIF0
· New Today: 0
· New Yesterday: 0
· Overall: 3153

People Online:
· Visitors: 109
· Members: 0
· Total: 109

Spaceempires.net :: DN5 Suggestions :: View topic
Forum FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

DN5 Suggestions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> Dark Nova Mod
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunnendei_Tinco
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: DN5 Suggestions Reply with quote

Hey bearclaw, have a few ideas for you that might be interesting to see in DN5

First off, a special weapon available only to infantry based on the alligiance subverter. Think Tiberian Sun mutant hijacker unit.

Second, expanding the critical hits table within the settings.txt file. They maybe shouldn't be seen as crits, but more along the lines of precision targetting. I've never actually seen crits happen in game, so I couldn't tell you if they are even implimented in game.

Third, "city" facilities. They would be stupidly expensive, and would not produce any benefits/resources, but would increase the facility space of a planet by some arbitrary number, like say 5 mineral mining facilities worth. I don't think facilities can be limited however, except by making them a "space yard," so this may not work very well balancewise.

I have a few more things that I've been thinking about an modding myself, along with the artifacts/ resource mod I mentioned to you a while ago, but atm these are on hold as I'm fairly sure the ram in my laptop has bit the dust (maybe this is the reason for the problems I was having with the PBW file...).

ekolis
Virtual Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, that first one reminds me of the Zerg parasite from Starcraft, actually... maybe it should be an Organic/Psionic crossover? Wink Not like the Zerg were exactly psionic or anything, but you'd think that would be necessary for taking over another creature's mind... Razz

I don't know if facilities can add additional facility space to a planet, but if they can, you should be able to restrict them to one per planet or whatever using the same restrictions that are applied to space yards... you don't need to actually assign the space yard ability.

On an unrelated note, I would also suggest splitting the Religious tech tree into several tech areas and/or race traits, along the lines of Adamant Mod or something, just for sanity's sake - there are lots of kinds of religion, and lumping them all together seems kind of cheesy - ooh, we just got a nature shrine and a death shrine! But for roleplaying purposes we'll only use one of them! Razz Maybe the various Religious and Psionic techs could piggyback off of the underutilized Psychology tree... and you could add a crossover between the death ethos and warheads in the form of exploding infantry! (You've got to admit it's not unrealistic! Razz) The various religious affiliations might even have additional properties (akin to the governments and cultures) beyond that of granting bonus techs to research - taking the 5 from stock, I could see something like this:

War Ethos: +200% war tolerance, -10% happiness, +100% experience gain rate, -10% trade (might want to experiment with the numbers but the idea is to make populations grow HAPPY when at war and ANGRY when not at war, unlike normal races which are the opposite, and then of course provide bonuses to combat and penalties to trade)
Death Ethos: +20% to all damage rolls, -20% to structure points (ethos focused on killing, whether it be the enemy or not!)
Time Ethos: +10% to min/org/rad/SY/repair, -4% to reproduction/migration (all work and no play...)
Nature Ethos: +20% organics, -10% min/rad/SY/repair, +3% reproduction (preserve nature at the cost of industry)
Fate Ethos: +100% defensive intel, -25% offensive intel, -25% research (change is irrelevant, the universe is predestined)

That's no space station - it's a spreadsheet!

Sunnendei_Tinco
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't thinking of them actually being ship yards, but if you can only restrict them with the one sy per planet line then they might as well become "trade hubs" or some something along those lines to justify them actually being a shipyard.

I like your idea of splitting the religious trait. How is it done in Adamant mod? Do you need spend 1000 points to buy "religion" in order to actually be able to research the "war" domain that cost you 500 racial points? (ok, thats a lil D&Dish, but I'm a fan of cleric domains rather than religious ethos)

ekolis
Virtual Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I said you DON'T have to give them the actual space yard ability - you just use the same RESTRICTIONS that the space yard uses to limit to one per planet.

In Adamant, there are six or so Religious traits - one does nothing on its own but allows the rest to actually have effects (e.g. you need both Religious and War Ethos to get War Shrines). I don't understand why Fyron did it that way intstead of just having the Ethos traits, but whatever Razz

Another idea - how about if the abilities of the religious items stop working or are less effective or gain penalties when they get conquered or traded? So war shrines on a planet conquered by a non-war-ethos empire might suddenly cause unrest, for instance...

That's no space station - it's a spreadsheet!

Sunnendei_Tinco
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize that, but I was (poorly) trying to get at that if you use the restrictions then you cannot add a spaceyard to the planet, so maybe the facility could be some supped-up form of spaceyard to compensate for this.

Hmmm, I like the dumbed down traded religious techs idea. If religion was modded into a more adamant mod form this could be very interesting, as say you have the mother religious trait, plus war, but aquire techs from another religion via trade etc, then you could maybe get the full range of that tech. But if you didn't start with religion, then you would only ever get the dumbed down lesser versions of the components, and even then you may only receive one or two components.

I know that DN5 will be big on cross over techs at some point, and religion would be an interesting avenue for those cross over techs.

bearclaw

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Religious will play strongly into cross over techs because I can think of LOTS of ways of implementing them.

I do have plans for City Facilities. But they won't be limited to one per planet as I have them planned. There is a way of restricting facilites to 1 or 2 or 9 per planet or even per system and that may be something that can be done. Perhaps even 1 for every 5000 kt of facility space. That way, tiny planets can have 1 if it is un-domed and huge planets can have 4 or more depending.

it is doable to have a city provide more facility space. In DN4, Cities though huge and expensive, were the best resource extracters available and also added to resourse storage and cargo space storage.

Nice ideas. I hadn't thought of breaking out religious into different racial traits but that does have merit.

Nick (bearclaw)

"You don't know the Power of the Dark Side. I must obey my Master"

Sunnendei_Tinco
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a thought for either a racial trait or ruin tech: amalgamated components. Sorta like the jack of all trades, quasi-useful components that the mysterious trader in Stars! would give to you in exchange for you sacrificing all that valuable germanium.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> Dark Nova Mod All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: