This site is in archival mode. A replacement is being developed. In the meantime, please use the PBW2 Forums for community discussions. The replacement software for this site will use a unified account system with PBW2, and any newly created threads will carry over.
Welcome to Spaceempires.net
Login or Register

Search
Modules
· Content
· Downloads
· Forums
· Game Info
· Image Gallery
· Links
· Shipyards
· Topics
· Staff

User Info
· Welcome, Anonymous
Membership:
· New: Tiregan
· New Today: 0
· New Yesterday: 0
· Overall: 3154

People Online:
· Visitors: 115
· Members: 0
· Total: 115

Spaceempires.net :: [5.0.0] initial comments :: View topic
Forum FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

[5.0.0] initial comments

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> Dark Nova Mod
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ekolis
Virtual Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: [5.0.0] initial comments Reply with quote

OK, I finally found time to play around with this mod Smile

* What, no FQM-style planet glows? How the heck am I supposed to tell what atmosphere a planet is? Wink

* The starting colony hull says it can have only 10 "movement" not "engines"...

* Engines can go in the inner hull? Definitely a stock-based mod Wink

* Engines provide 1 "standard move"? The EPM rating of ships doesn't seem to be displayed anywhere - are you using fractions for Scout ships? I like to give ships EPM ratings equal to their tonnage, that way you don't have to guess Wink

* Colony modules sure are cheap... go go colony ship spammers! Razz

* Gah! No "scout ship" design type, but there's a scout hull? Razz

* Weapon mounts costs 2000 RP and has 1 level? Why not just make the individual mount techs available from the start? And shouldn't all those mount techs be under weapons technology, not applied science?

* All the small ships will have 50 crew because the smallest LS/CQ components available provide 50 or 100! How about some "small lifesupport" and "small crew quarters" components?

Oh, and don't take all these complaints the wrong way - the mod is pretty exciting Wink

That's no space station - it's a spreadsheet!

Santiago
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: [5.0.0] initial comments Reply with quote

ekolis wrote:

* What, no FQM-style planet glows? How the heck am I supposed to tell what atmosphere a planet is? Wink

Actually saves me the trouble of modifying mods that have those planet glows to mods that don't.

bearclaw

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of these things you mentioned will be adjusted. This version of the mod so far, just has the extra hull sized added. Nothing more.

Yes, this is taken from stock. The hulls were purposly changed to say "movement" instead of engines because the smallest ships do use fractions for engines per move. That's a good idea to add the EPM rating.

I've already begun some work on various life support and crew quarter types.

And by now, I hope you've seen that I don't take things like this the wrong way. It's why I asked if you'd be a beta tester Smile

Nick (bearclaw)

"You don't know the Power of the Dark Side. I must obey my Master"

ekolis
Virtual Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So wait, you say I can't have more than 12 movement on a scout? I built one with six ion engines and got 19 movement... is that a bug?

bearclaw

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wait. I had it backwards. Yeah it should say engines, not movement.

Nick (bearclaw)

Alikiwi
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:31 am    Post subject: worldship Reply with quote

Yep, its an interesting mod. I posted this question elsewhere before I remembered this section. Short question to my problem, there is no Worldship pic in DN4.27!!! Hence I am stuck as it won't allow me to design one. Some minor components also don't have pics in the list when creating a design, but right clicking shows it.
I was certain I had all the required packs, planets, compoents etc, so why the problem. Am about to double check the compoent pack!

bearclaw

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted a reply to your other thread. Email me if you need more help or the images needed.

Nick (bearclaw)

Sunnendei_Tinco
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey bearclaw, a few things I've noticed/suggestions:

-meson blasters only have one more range that ripper beams

-perhaps deep space fighters should have a system scanning component?

-in my initial game there were literally 4 gas planets in all of the 7 systems I explored, but there were multitudes of ice and rock worlds

-a few specialized unit types have no components (I realize this is probably since you haven't added them yet)

-worldships/bases seem a bit on the smallish side

I'll keep you posted on any further thoughts/developments.

By the way, what did you think of the ideas in the email I sent you? I have some more ideas as well if you'd like to hear them.

bearclaw

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is based on Stock so things like the Meson Blaster ranges I had nothing to do with and the number of gas giants.

Deep Space Fighter and system scanning component... any reason why?

And yes, I'm always open to ideas. I may not use them but they might trigger something else that might get used. And yes, I did like those ideas.

Nick (bearclaw)

Sunnendei_Tinco
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see, haven't played stock very much, so that explains the meson blaster and gas giants. As for the scanner, deep space fighters were the first thing I built in an all tech game, and to my chagrin, they only had one sight range, and no scanners to increase that. But I guess they would be kind of redundant when the scout is finished. As for other ideas, one thing that I have done previously is making a "warp point interdiction" component. I'll post the formula up here later, but basically, the component stops incoming and outgoing warp points, is so huge you can only place it on a large space station, and uses a huge amount of supplies (i have it at 2500/turn) each turn to operate.

It's fairly barebones, and likely very unbalanced in its current form:
Name := Warp Point Interdictor
Description := Warp Point Interdictors generate gravitational fields that cancel the effects of components that open or close warp points. They require huge amounts of supplies to operate.
Picture Number := 271
Maximum Level := 1
Tonnage Space Taken Formula := 800
Tonnage Structure Formula := 800
Cost Minerals Formula := 90000
Cost Organics Formula := 20000
Cost Radioactives Formula := 180000
Supply Amount Used Formula := 2500
Ordnance Amount Used Formula := 0
Can Be Placed On Vehicle Types := Base
Can Be Placed In Ship Sections := Outer Hull
Component Type List := Technological
General Group := Stellar Manipulation
Custom Group := 0
Number Of Requirements := 1
Requirements Evaluation Availability := AND
Requirements Evaluation Allows Placement := TRUE
Requirements Evaluation Allows Usage := TRUE
Requirement 1 Description := Empire must have at least tech level 16 in Stellar Manipulation.
Requirement 1 Formula := Get_Empire_Tech_Level("Stellar Manipulation") >= 16
Number Of Abilities := 2
Ability 1 Type := Stop Open Warp Point
Ability 1 Description := Warp Point Interdictor stops warp points from being opened within the system.
Ability 1 Scope := System - This Player
Ability 1 Range Formula := 0
Ability 1 Amount 1 Formula := 0
Ability 1 Amount 2 Formula := 0
Ability 2 Type := Stop Close Warp Point
Ability 2 Description := Warp Point Interdictor stops warp points from being closed within the system.
Ability 2 Scope := System - This Player
Ability 2 Range Formula := 0
Ability 2 Amount 1 Formula := 0
Ability 2 Amount 2 Formula := 0
Weapon Type := None

ekolis
Virtual Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it will actually use supplies each turn...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> Dark Nova Mod All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: