This site is in archival mode. A replacement is being developed. In the meantime, please use the PBW2 Forums for community discussions. The replacement software for this site will use a unified account system with PBW2, and any newly created threads will carry over.
Welcome to Spaceempires.net
Login or Register

Search
Modules
· Content
· Downloads
· Forums
· Game Info
· Image Gallery
· Links
· Shipyards
· Topics
· Staff

User Info
· Welcome, Anonymous
Membership:
· New: Astorre
· New Today: 0
· New Yesterday: 0
· Overall: 3155

People Online:
· Visitors: 67
· Members: 0
· Total: 67

Spaceempires.net :: [DN5] organic and crystalline ships/units done :: View topic
Forum FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

[DN5] organic and crystalline ships/units done

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> Dark Nova Mod
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bearclaw

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:36 am    Post subject: [DN5] organic and crystalline ships/units done Reply with quote

Okay, I now have all the ships and units for organic and crystalline races done DN-style.

I recall seeing somewhere a discussion on making it so that organic races only have organic hulls, et al. But I don't want to have to add a new racial trait. So once I have that figured out, then it's on to the next part.

I still have to add Symbiotic hulls, Living Hulls, Crystallized hulls and Ceramic hulls.
In DN4:
-Symbiotic hulls used organics instead of minerals and had built-in crew and lifesupport (but still needed a bridge).
-Living hulls (organic race that finds symbiotic tech) were as above except slightly larger kt and healed 1 component/turn.
-Crystallized hulls used Rads instead of minerals and generated a small amout of shields from dmg.
-Ceramic hulls (crystalline race that finds crystallized tech) were as above except slightly larger and generated more shields from damage.

I never was happy with crystallized and ceramic hulls. Any suggestions for how I should 'convert' these unique tech hull-types to DN5?

Nick (bearclaw)

"You don't know the Power of the Dark Side. I must obey my Master"

ekolis
Virtual Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I recall seeing somewhere a discussion on making it so that organic races only have organic hulls, et al. But I don't want to have to add a new racial trait. So once I have that figured out, then it's on to the next part.

You don't need a "normal" racial trait at all - just add this requirement to the "regular" hulls:
NOT (Empire_Has_Racial_Trait("Organic Manipulation") OR Empire_Has_Racial_Trait("Crystallurgy"))

What if you gave the crystallized/ceramic hulls some sort of HP percent modifier for all components installed? I'm not sure if this is possible, but it would be nifty... Smile Or how about an emissive ability, or maybe just adding some shield generation (normal or phased depending on empire's tech) to the existing shield generation from damage? Or instead of the HP modifier, which might not work, how about a small percentage damage resistance to all damage types, or a larger one for just beams?

That's no space station - it's a spreadsheet!

bearclaw

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOooooo, I like the idea of the HP modifire to components... nice. I'll try that and see.

Yeah, I figured there must be something that would check for the racial traits but it was late and my brain wasn't working enough to even remember to look in the modding doc to search for it.

Thanks.

Nick (bearclaw)

Sunnendei_Tinco
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you use the "Weapon Delivery Type Damage Received Modifier Percent" that is utilized in the crystalline energy refractor component, but change the scope from energy beam to direct fire? It is a ceramic hull right, which makes me think of ceramic armor that stops kinetic energy. I guess you could use multiple instances, one for direct fire and one that gives a small reduction from seekers maybe? Or have a trade off between the two, so if you give it damage reduction for direct fire, maybe make it more prone to damage from seeker types (if that works within the scope of the ability anyways).

ekolis
Virtual Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Direct fire is a weapon type encompassing projectiles, beams, and basically everything that isn't a seeker; it has nothing to do with weapon *delivery* type, which is an arbitrary text value. I believe that cannons (depleted uranium and shard) use the "Projectile" (or maybe "Bolt") delivery type... you could give the hulls resistance to those...

That's no space station - it's a spreadsheet!

Sunnendei_Tinco
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, that's what I was trying to get at, as the energy refractor component is specifically for energy beams. Projectile types are also applied to flak cannons, and the acid/globule weapons too.

bearclaw

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crystallized hulls (unique tech for non-crystalline races) could give a damage resistance to beam weapons. The crystallized nature of the hulls refracts some of the beam weapon energy.

Ceramic hulls (what happens when a Crystalline race finds Crystallized hulls) could give Beam weapon resistance as well as internal component resistance?

The idea for Ceramic hulls comes from Timothy Zahn's Conqueror trilogy. If you are not familar with it, a race using cermaic hulled ships kept over-whelming most races militarily because energy weapons were virtually useless against their hulls. Then they encountered humans who used missile weapons. The impacts from human missiles barely scratched the hulls but did massive internal damage. So perhaps a slight increase to missile weapon damage would work with a significant (25%) dmg reduction to beam weapons?

Nick (bearclaw)

Sunnendei_Tinco
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of increase do you have in mind? +5% missile damage to 25% beam reduction? Will the coding allow a negative number within the "Weapon Delivery Type Damage Received Modifier Percent" ability?

edit: Nevermind, the energy refractor already uses a negative number in the formula. It does however work with positive numbers. I edited Balance Mod heavy armor, giving it the same ability entry as the energy refractor, except for replacing the -10 with 50 in the formula, which gives a 31% damage increase when the damage type is changed from energy beam to missile. CSMs seemed to be adding the damage, I noticed two that yielded 420 and 418 damage respectively, when BM CSMs have a threshold of 280-320 damage.

bearclaw

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point, I have no idea what sort of dmg modifiers to use.

Nick (bearclaw)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> Dark Nova Mod All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: