This site is in archival mode. A replacement is being developed. In the meantime, please use the PBW2 Forums for community discussions. The replacement software for this site will use a unified account system with PBW2, and any newly created threads will carry over.
Welcome to Spaceempires.net
Login or Register

Search
Modules
· Content
· Downloads
· Forums
· Game Info
· Image Gallery
· Links
· Shipyards
· Topics
· Staff

User Info
· Welcome, Anonymous
Membership:
· New: Astorre
· New Today: 0
· New Yesterday: 0
· Overall: 3155

People Online:
· Visitors: 148
· Members: 0
· Total: 148

Spaceempires.net :: Considering New Things for AST 2.0 Mod :: View topic
Forum FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Considering New Things for AST 2.0 Mod

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> Star Trek Mod
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Atrocities
Shipyard Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Considering New Things for AST 2.0 Mod Reply with quote

I am thinking about using the ancient ruins in a new way and might incorporate this concept into not only the Star Wars mod, but also the Atrocities Star Trek Mod 2.0.

Basically put ancient ruins would be used in a new way, that being instead of finding old ruins, a player might discover Precious metals, like Gold or Fyconium. These discoveries would give access to new improvement facilities, better hull mounts, armor, etc. For example if a player found both Gold and Silver, they would gain access to improved production and happiness facilities. If they found say Abundant Natural Resources like Food Stock, Spies, and such, improved storage capacities. Precious Minerals like whatever would give a new tech area to explore that would lead to reinforced hull mounts, and such.

There is no rule that ancient ruins have to be ancient ruins. Finding minerals or other things can bring about great benefits for an empire and make finding these treasures a real treat and a priority.

Where we're going we won't need roads.

ekolis
Virtual Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, so you're turning the "ruins techs" into something akin to Civ4's "natural resources"? That could be interesting... you might want to make sure that no ruins tech is too powerful, though - in Civ4 I seem to recall that if you never found Iron or Coal, you were basically screwed from the midgame forward! Razz

That's no space station - it's a spreadsheet!

john_stamos64
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not a combination of both? I like the unique techs and research boost you get from the current Ancient ruins system, but I also like the new ideas you are proposing. Is it possible to incorporate both into the Mod?

Also, I like how there are now (in AST 2.0) clear advantages and disadvantages amongst the races. However, the differences seem to be limited to the facilities. I would like to see some differences amongst the races in the starship weapons, components and mounts.

Furthermore, speaking of mounts, the stock mounts provided with AST 2.0 seem unbalanced and don't really provide the choices you intend. Specifically, the range version is the only useful mount, especially for secondary weapons. The loss of range for the Damage mounts is very high (-10 for the secondary version), making them useless. I say this mount is useless because of torpedo weapons. Torpedos have such great range and power that it's very tempting to make a ship armed solely with torpedos (especially with the powerful mounts you give them). How would a ship outfitted with the damage mounts ever get into range against a ship with torpedos? Furthermore, with the -10 reduction in range for the secondary weapons array (damage), the pulse disrupters (I played Klingons) do no damage because their base range is only 8. In short I think you made the mounts a bit too extreme. Too much range and loss of accuracy for the range mount, not enough power and a crippling decrease in range for the power mount, but the accuracy mount seems OK.

Last edited by john_stamos64 on Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Black_Knyght
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly sounds interesting enough to me to be worth pursuing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> Star Trek Mod All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: