This site is in archival mode. A replacement is being developed. In the meantime, please use the PBW2 Forums for community discussions. The replacement software for this site will use a unified account system with PBW2, and any newly created threads will carry over.
Welcome to Spaceempires.net
Login or Register

Search
Modules
· Content
· Downloads
· Forums
· Game Info
· Image Gallery
· Links
· Shipyards
· Topics
· Staff

User Info
· Welcome, Anonymous
Membership:
· New: Astorre
· New Today: 0
· New Yesterday: 0
· Overall: 3155

People Online:
· Visitors: 77
· Members: 0
· Total: 77

Spaceempires.net :: Map Wrap? :: View topic
Forum FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Map Wrap?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> SEG Spaceport
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:43 am    Post subject: Map Wrap? Reply with quote

As ordered by Fyron I am starting this thread to discuss the implications of the description "Map Wrap". I am of the opinion it is similar to in Civilisation where leaving one side of the map means appearing on the other side.

CaptainKwok
Balance Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The map wrap is essentially a few systems on all sides of the map that connect across to systems on the opposite side. The idea is to create no corners.

Space Empires Depot | SE:V Balance Mod

Fyron
Galactic Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is basically a poor man's sphere map. Wink A sphere map is generally a grid map, where every system on the edge of the galaxy connects to the parallel system on the opposite edge. Rather than creating a cylindrical map as in Civilization, this creates a map that is in essence a sphere. Certainly it is a highly abstracted sphere, but that is not the point. As Kwok said, the goal is to eliminate all corners. Starting in a corner always screws over the player that starts in a corner, as they have a very limited area to expand to... I believe there is an example of a true sphere map in the FQM Standard download.

The problems with sphere maps are that they take a very long time to set up (tons of warp points to add), and they look very uniform and boring. A worthwhile solution is just to have 3-5 WPs on the side and top/bottom edges of an otherwise normal wrapping around, rather than making every system connect. This preserves a more natural, random location of systems, rather than everything being on a predefined grid. Also, it allows for large quadrants, as grid maps are strictly limited in size (9x13 or something around there, definitely far less than the normal 255 system limit).

Smarter than your average Texrak.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that how this map is?

I think I said this before but I hate crossing warp lines. Makes things messy and confusing. Guess I will have to contruct a manuel cylinder map here at home.

CaptainKwok
Balance Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are only a few crossing lines, which in my opinion doesn't obscure any of the other warp point lines.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds cool. I always hate getting stuck in the corners of map. But I do share the concern that it may obstruct the view of others warp points. But if it doesn't do that, that badly then it is all good.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting stuck in corners isn't always that bad. It lets you concentrate your forces on far fewer lines of communication, making defense alot easier. Assiming you have a few good systems in your corner, it is a little secluded getaway.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but I prefer to be in the open especially when the main objective isn't to utterly destroy every object in sight. Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to find that when I am out in open like that I am the one being destroyed by everyone else.

Nothink like being able to mine one warp point to defend your whole empire Wink

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Minions(Me) have encountered this "Map Wrap". Just to be sure it is a two way war point correct. I would hate to lose that pretty little ship I have.

CaptainKwok
Balance Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the warp points are two way.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> SEG Spaceport All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: