This site is in archival mode. A replacement is being developed. In the meantime, please use the PBW2 Forums for community discussions. The replacement software for this site will use a unified account system with PBW2, and any newly created threads will carry over.
Welcome to Spaceempires.net
Login or Register

Search
Modules
· Content
· Downloads
· Forums
· Game Info
· Image Gallery
· Links
· Shipyards
· Topics
· Staff

User Info
· Welcome, Anonymous
Membership:
· New: Astorre
· New Today: 0
· New Yesterday: 0
· Overall: 3155

People Online:
· Visitors: 158
· Members: 0
· Total: 158

Spaceempires.net :: ADMIN: Monster Strength and Effectiveness :: View topic
Forum FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

ADMIN: Monster Strength and Effectiveness
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> The Galactic Invasion 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
douglas
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

se5a wrote:
I should be able to stave off one monster before it destroys half my worlds though.

Tried weapon platforms any? They have been a staple of defense for pretty much every other player in the game and are still quite effective, but I didn't encounter a single one on any of the planets glassed in that entire rampage. As for your ships, the sheer numbers you had IIRC should have been sufficient to allow your missiles to overwhelm my PD. The reason they didn't was, I think, a combination of your ships not moving fast enough and being set to maximum range. If you want to kill a monster with a missile barrage, you need lots of missile and you need them to not run out of range. That means your missile ships need to get close in large numbers, and yours didn't. My ships are set to stay at long range to take advantage of the range of Monster Beam II's and their high combat bonuses, and if your ships also try to stay at max range many missiles will run out of fuel just a short distance away.

covertjaguar wrote:
I haven't found anything that is effective against drones anyway.

Hehe, yeah, drones were left out of pretty much every targeting list in the game because normal races don't have them at all, so almost the only "counter" is simply being able to survive the impact, which only ramming ships can. Don't worry too much, though, I only used drones in the first place because, unlike everything else I have, they can actually put a dent in a ship with 10000 hit points and a ram. I'll keep the stockpiles on my homeworlds for defense, but I won't build any more carriers or launch them out of combat unless I find a ramming ship. If anyone tries attacking my homeworlds directly, though, any drones left in space at the end of the battle will seek retribution Twisted Evil

CapnKy
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A hint for you non-magic normals, btw;

X-Ray Lasers, at their best, are much more effective than standard lasers. Why?

They're a good 30-40% more accurate. Wink

The reason monsters weren't out causing chaos? Simple, we couldn't with the ramships. I sent two monsters to attack one of the Imperium of Man's colonies. I didn't manage to dent either colony, and barely a turn later, a response fleet had showed up and rammed my monster into oblivion. Confused

Unofficial Adamant 0.16.xx Bug Hunter

mastermindkar
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, about that Capnky, you might want to check your combat orders because in both cases the worlds were undefended and ought to have been destroyed, but your monsters did not shoot them and instead retreated. Probably just one of those annoying loopholes in the strategies.

mastermindkar
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On an unrelated note, are you going to set the turns back to 60 hours again? These 96 hour ones are really crawling, especially now that there is so much to do.

covertjaguar
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mastermindkar wrote:
On an unrelated note, are you going to set the turns back to 60 hours again? These 96 hour ones are really crawling, especially now that there is so much to do.

Done, turns are back at 60 hours.

mastermindkar
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool, thanks

picard131
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

covertjaguar wrote:
mastermindkar wrote:

Done, turns are back at 60 hours.

Oh, thank God! I'm waiting for a critical response from an ally and a chance to see how effective these Sith warships are.

CapnKy
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, am I overdoing the shields on the Algorithm any? I tend to get a bit carried away as I'm used to SE4's "MegaDamage" weapons like WMGs and Mega APBs. Embarassed

EDIT: I mean, I don't want to be steamrolling you guys with them, but I don't want to be making them too easy to kill either. Wink

mastermindkar
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the sims I've run, they should be very tough but not outrageously so. Just spread a couple around so everyone can get a crack at one and see what happens.

CapnKy
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mastermindkar wrote:
According to the sims I've run, they should be very tough but not outrageously so. Just spread a couple around so everyone can get a crack at one and see what happens.

Snazzy.

Now what to do with this insanely sized backlog of Annulus-class ships... Confused

mastermindkar
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, CapnKy? I think the idea behind removing and refitting ramships was that you would wait until after it was done before attacking, not plow into my system with 9 powerful ships the turn after I withdraw...

CapnKy
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mastermindkar wrote:
Um, CapnKy? I think the idea behind removing and refitting ramships was that you would wait until after it was done before attacking, not plow into my system with 9 powerful ships the turn after I withdraw...

It was getting rid of them... right? Wink

Those ships are on their way to "spread the design", so to speak.

Game Rules wrote:
Please retrofit or decommission all ramships immediately.

Note it didn't say how to decommission them...

picard131
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CapnKy wrote:

Game Rules wrote:

I like the way this guy thinks...

Skorpyon
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

picard131 wrote:
CapnKy wrote:

Game Rules wrote:

By that logic, sending all those ram-ships into combat repeatedly until they're destroyed is a perfectly valid way to comply with the ban...

picard131
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skorpyon wrote:
picard131 wrote:
CapnKy wrote:

Game Rules wrote:

By that logic, sending all those ram-ships into combat repeatedly until they're destroyed is a perfectly valid way to comply with the ban...

Infinite quotes! Hm..anyway....

I didn't know you could do that, but unfortunately, it seems I have no ramships.

CapnKy
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skorpyon wrote:
picard131 wrote:
CapnKy wrote:

Game Rules wrote:

That is also true. Wink

picard131
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CapnKy wrote:
Skorpyon wrote:
picard131 wrote:
CapnKy wrote:

Game Rules wrote:

That is also true. Wink

Methinks we're getting off topic.

CapnKy
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a sidenote, I think I found the reason for the monster ineffectivity against HWs. Wasn't using the right weapons. Rolling Eyes

se5a
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry I've been slack.
I did have annother idea though. why don't you make the warhead an armor type, then it gets destroyed first.

mastermindkar
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don' know if anyone here has any experience in the coding for this mod or anything, but there seems to be something missing from the Graviton Hellbore. The Graviton Hellbore I and II both receive an accuracy bonus and "does not trigger shields from damage" as abilities. the Graviton Hellbore III has two bullets in the abilities section, but they are blank. Is it supposed to be like that or is it a typo the modders missed? If it is a typo, does the Hellbore III still recieve the bonuses?

Fyron
Galactic Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SE4 has a fun habit of not displaying ability descriptions if the component/facility/etc description goes below the picture. The name of GHB I and II takes up a single line, so everything is fine. The name of GHB III+ is a little too long, so it occupies a second line, which pushes the description below the bottom of the image.

The GHB III+ still has the abilities, it is just a display error. Also, note that in this case, neither of the abilities actually do anything; they are just used to display extra information to the player about the weapons. One is the to hit bonus, which SE4 does not show anywhere in game (did you know that stock WMG has a +30% to hit bonus?), the other is an explanation of what happens when weapons with the "skips armor" damage type hit targets with leaky shields.

Smarter than your average Texrak.

mastermindkar
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta love those little idiosyncrasies. Thanks Fyron.

Skorpyon
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of us who don't live, sleep, and eat this game, could you post a list of those abbreviations?

Fyron
Galactic Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not aware of anything other than GHB III-VI, which just get +2 accuracy per level over the GHB II (up to 25%).

If you come across any in the future, open up data\Components.txt and do a search for the name of the component. What should have been the ability tags will be something like this (pulled from GHB III):

Code:
Number of Abilities   := 2
Ability 1 Type        := Star - Unstable
Ability 1 Descr       := +19% accuracy.
Ability 1 Val 1       := 0
Ability 1 Val 2       := 0
Ability 2 Type        := Palace
Ability 2 Descr       := Does not trigger shields from damage against shielded targets.
Ability 2 Val 1       := 0
Ability 2 Val 2       := 0

The Descr lines will be the relevant lines for the in-game description.

Smarter than your average Texrak.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> The Galactic Invasion 2 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: